Places that hire 16 year olds

Watch
Dr.Danco
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi, I have just left high school and was looking for a job. Which companies would hire a 16 year-old for part-time work? And I mean beside the obvious choice of McDonalds, Tesco and Asda.

Thank you.
Einheri
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Look for vacancies in small shops and retail. They're probably the most likely to hire teenagers.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
retail and possibly restaurants but you'd have to check as some only hire 18 years old+ because of alcohol laws.
emilym94
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Most high street stores do, the majority of people in my year (16 year olds) have jobs in places such as Boots, Next, Tesco, Lush, Sainsbury's and Pizza Hut. Ask around, some places are happy to have 16 year olds, but as you're only 16, the minimum wage for your age is around £3.50. Hope I helped
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Retail, Restaurants, Secretarial work (GP, Dentist, Office, etc.) perhaps even call centres
username330427
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Definitely retail - do you live near a shopping centre, OP?

Even places with 18+ age restrictions (restaurants, DVD/game shops, etc.) will hire 16-year-olds, they just won't let them deal with the restricted stuff, as far as I know.

Or work in a kid's shop, like I do, and this won't be a problem. :awesome:
Dr.Danco
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks, but would somewhere like comet hire me? Because I am going out tomorrow and trying in as many shops as possible.
SophiaKeuning
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dr.Danco)
Thanks, but would somewhere like comet hire me? Because I am going out tomorrow and trying in as many shops as possible.
Probably. Just give out CVs anywhere. Apparently there should be plenty of jobs available at the end of summer because lots of part time people are leaving for uni.
banana_smoothie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i know about: new look, costa cafe, river island, JJB sports, marks&spencers, pizza hut, TK Max hope this helps
CuteStar*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Retail is your main option!

At 16 I worked in Debenhams and Caffe Nero ;]
Jesska xD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Primark?
superstar16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hello, I just finished my gcse exams so im 16. im looking for ajob in retail stores, what is the name of the position of job I would carry out. like is it sales assistant? Im so new this whole job thing so im confused. I would really appreciate if anyone helped me please.
sinkh0l3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OP - Your minimum wage is £3.72 p/h, so I'm sure a lot of places would rather hire you over someone older. Make sure your CV is top notch (summarise, don't go into full detail - it'll give you something to talk about), and make sure you mention all the skills you've obtained (through education and work experience) in any interview you may have.
Retail is most likely to hire you, and I believe you can work in a bar, as long as you are observed whilst you are serving people. Along with that, you may be able to be waiting staff. I currently work in a Chinese Takeaway and started working there when I was 17 (my colleague started working at 16 though).
Remember to consider the fact that once you've had experience working in any environment, you're instantly more employable as you will have developed more skills and will have an additional reference - from someone you know well, not just your headteacher or someone you worked with for two weeks as work experience. McDonalds may not seem glamourous, but it's one of the largest companies in the world, therefore experience there would be a great start for you.
Whatever job you manage to get, I'd recommend only working 10 hours p/w if you plan on going to college alongside.
sinkh0l3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by superstar16)
hello, I just finished my gcse exams so im 16. im looking for ajob in retail stores, what is the name of the position of job I would carry out. like is it sales assistant? Im so new this whole job thing so im confused. I would really appreciate if anyone helped me please.
Yes, it would be Sales Assistant.
superstar16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sinkh0l3)
Yes, it would be Sales Assistant.
so I made my CV. in most retail stores it talks about a cover letter. what is this? do I need a different one that is suitable for each job that I do? what do I talk about on it? thanks, much appreciated.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I swear theres loads of threads like this.
superstar16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I only want to work in the retail stores during the whole of july and august since i have finished school early. so is this part time, permanent? or temporary?
arcticmonkeyz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mcdonalds you do end up improving some skills such as communication and team work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Irene_Mp
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
[QUOTE=superstar16;48374968] is temporary since you wasn't to work only for a specific period of time. Part time is like when you don't work for the whole day but only a few hours per day.
Einsteinium*
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Irene_Mp)
is temporary since you wasn't to work only for a specific period of time. Part time is like when you don't work for the whole day but only a few hours per day.

Was it really worth reviving this thread from 2014, just to correct this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.64%
I'm not sure (54)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (344)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.98%
I'm not a current university student (570)
48.51%

Watched Threads