This discussion is closed.
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Oh yeh, me too. I don't use the state school system, so why the f**k should I pay for it?

/sarcasm
without the sarcasm, i would totally agree with that statement
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
So those who are sick (largely through no fault of their own) should have to pay astronomical hospital bills?
Your idea is fundementally flawed.
why, they are the ones sick and its often through their own fault - e.g smoking or bad genes. So therefore their fault.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
without the sarcasm, i would totally agree with that statement
You don't pay for it, you're parents do. It's got something to do with the fact that most people thinking that educating your population is a "pretty good idea, reallly".
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
HUH? How is my saying that I refuse to pay for state schools because I don't use them any different from your NHS example?

Don't you see that it's society who benefits from all these things? Society as a whole. For the good of society, we have to pay taxes.
why should you do things for the good of society, will it pay for my swimming pool - well yes if i sucker them but?
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
why, they are the ones sick and its often through their own fault - e.g smoking or bad genes. So therefore their fault.
"Bad genes" are their own fault?
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
why should you do things for the good of society

when people don't understand logic, it's hard to argue with them.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
You don't pay for it, you're parents do. It's got something to do with the fact that most people thinking that educating your population is a "pretty good idea, reallly".
so its alright for my parents to pay for it, bear in mind that they have five children, whom they are putting through public school. Why should the population be educated if they are not willing to pay for it.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
That is beyond stupidity.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
"Bad genes" are their own fault?
or their parents
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)

whats logic - everything that you think and agree with, i take it?
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)

it has nothing to do with logic, logically i should only pay for what i benefit directly from!
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
in what way, they are ill, i can not help everyone in the world so why should i try. I only get one life, might as well make it as happy as possible.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i wouldnt go that far.

he has a point - people are aware of the effects of smoking, they smoke 4 years, have major problems then have to recieve treatment.

the argument of that guy is that why should he cough up 4 people who r injuring/damagin themselves - it isnt beyond stupidity. (for such examples like smoking, drink driving etc.)
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
it has nothing to do with logic, logically i should only pay for what i benefit directly from!
exactly - read my post above.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
i wouldnt go that far.

he has a point - people are aware of the effects of smoking, they smoke 4 years, have major problems then have to recieve treatment.

the argument of that guy is that why should he cough up 4 people who r injuring/damagin themselves - it isnt beyond stupidity. (for such examples like smoking, drink driving etc.)
look at the other thread and you might agree with him *sigh*. its because everyone feels sorry for other people.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
so its alright for my parents to pay for it, bear in mind that they have five children, whom they are putting through public school. Why should the population be educated if they are not willing to pay for it.
Because we need an educated society simply to compete. Everybody deserves the right to education no matter how rich you are.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
HUH? How is my saying that I refuse to pay for state schools because I don't use them any different from your NHS example?

Don't you see that it's society who benefits from all these things? Society as a whole. For the good of society, we have to pay taxes.
but not everyone in scoiety is good, and not everyone contributes the same % of their earnings......
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Because we need an educated society simply to compete. Everybody deserves the right to education no matter how rich you are.
no one has told me why there is a RIGHT to education yet
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
no one has told me why there is a RIGHT to education yet
Because education amongst food, clothes shelter and food is the most basic needs of man. If somebody wants to go to university then if they have the grades they deserve the right to go to that university. Class and money should not be an issue here. It seems its the people from the middle classes that like to make it an issue.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
yes they do.

but the majority go to state schools anyway........therefore the amount of tax going to state skools wouldnt differ that much - if push came to shove, they cud always raise the taxes for the parents sending their kids to state skools.

another thought, look at how many kids doss about in state skools, lounge around in classrooms 4 years, graffitti, giv bad rep 4 skool.

why not chuck these out, and concentrate on doing better for the group who want to learn, instead of spreading out the taxes over more children, with a percentage wasting the taxpayers money anyway
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads