Want to study in America - possible problems... Watch

Elysium_uk
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi.
I am thinking about starting my whole university life over, and thinking of doing it in America.

I am 24. I went to university in Britain for 4 years, and due to part my fault and part the university's I only came away with a Diploma in Higher Education (2 years of a BSc course) in Music Technology.

I would really like to either:

1) finish off my degree

OR (preferably)

2) Start again in a different subject (probably Sport Science or something similar)

I have been to America a couple of times - I have some good friends out there (American citizens - not British) and have seen much of the country. It goes almost without say I particularly like California.

If I could, I would like to do an undergraduate course in Sport Science (or something similar) in California.

My problems are as follows:
1) My age - being slightly older than average uni student in Britain, is there an American equivalent to a "mature student" or something?

2) Credit transfer - is there anyway to transfer the credits from my first two years on to a course in America?

3) Student loan - what happens to my current British student loan if I'm studying in America?

4) Can anyone think of and suggest a better option for me?

Thanks
thesisomer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi there. You're doing the exact same thing I'm doing, but in reverse. I'm a mature student who messed up and did half a degree in the USA in a subject I no longer wish to study, and I decided to go from CA to the UK.

I will save my normal obligatory warning about how horrible Los Angeles is

The US does have a mature student equivalent, but as far as I know it tends to differ from university to university. Your best bet is to narrow down to a few you're interested in and contact them.

As far as credit transferring goes, I don't know FOR SURE but I don't think most schools will accept credit transfers. HOWEVER, if you got a 2yr qualification in the UK, you MIGHT (big might, I don't know for sure) be able to have them accept at least part of your credits under the General Education requirements for your degree.

Like I said though, that's really up to the individual uni.

Since we're both in similar situations, I'll tell you to do what I did - learn the ins and outs of the university admin system. Write to people in all the unis where you are thinking of applying and tell them, in detail, about your specific situation. Don't expect a lot of luck, namely with the transfer of credits - but you might get lucky if you work hard enough and make the right contacts

As far as the student loan, I can't help you there. FWIR, you need to have an independent source of funding to study in the US. Since you're thinking of going to CA, the prices are going to be phenominally high. There aren't any unis in the US that will give you money to study there outside of Harvard, Yale, etc, and you won't be eligible for US Federal Student Aid.

I know this all sounds discouraging, but I don't mean for it to be. If you really want this and you work hard, you have a chance. Sorry I wasn't more helpful, just telling you what I know.

Good luck.
Elysium_uk
That's a lot of help actually. Thanks

I'll look in to it
wmcatherine
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Elysium_uk)
Hi.
I am thinking about starting my whole university life over, and thinking of doing it in America.

I am 24. I went to university in Britain for 4 years, and due to part my fault and part the university's I only came away with a Diploma in Higher Education (2 years of a BSc course) in Music Technology.

I would really like to either:

1) finish off my degree

OR (preferably)

2) Start again in a different subject (probably Sport Science or something similar)

I have been to America a couple of times - I have some good friends out there (American citizens - not British) and have seen much of the country. It goes almost without say I particularly like California.

If I could, I would like to do an undergraduate course in Sport Science (or something similar) in California.

My problems are as follows:
1) My age - being slightly older than average uni student in Britain, is there an American equivalent to a "mature student" or something?

2) Credit transfer - is there anyway to transfer the credits from my first two years on to a course in America?

3) Student loan - what happens to my current British student loan if I'm studying in America?

4) Can anyone think of and suggest a better option for me?

Thanks
It's good to know that I'm not the only person unwiling to study in their home country.

I do believe that as a mature (independent) student, you might be able to be eligible for Federal student loan, check out this site: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/index.htm. You'll need to submit this app. first.

I really do suggest California if you are thinking of studying in the US, as it has the best public university systems in the country: University of California, and California State Universities.

As far as the credit transfer goes, what's good about the above systems is that they have the same entry requirements and transfer conditions. Between these 2 systems, you are looking at at least 15 campuses within the state, with UC Berkely being the best.

But if you've set your sites in other universities, you'll have to contact each individual school for their credit transfer requirements.

Hope this helps :cool:
Elysium_uk
It does. But it also seems so confusing. I'm thinking maybe finish studying here and then work out a way to get into the country legally.

I think i might want to live there one day
SaintSaens
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by wmcatherine)
I do believe that as a mature (independent) student, you might be able to be eligible for Federal student loan, check out this site: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/index.htm. You'll need to submit this app. first.

I really do suggest California if you are thinking of studying in the US, as it has the best public university systems in the country: University of California, and California State Universities.
Unless the OP is a US citizen abroad, which does not seem to be the case, he/she's ineligible for federal aid and does not even need to look at the FAFSA.

Depending on how long you have been out of school, you may be considered a non-traditional (mature) student. You can transfer courses from your first years of study, but I don't know how easy it is to transfer UK courses to a US college. If you do try to transfer (perhaps some members here know more about international transfers), you may have to continue studying music technology to get your bachelor degree. I don't really know what you're supposed to do if you wanted to transfer credits from the courses you earned and wanted to get a bachelors degree in a different major.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (146)
18.27%
No (486)
60.83%
Not really bothered about them (167)
20.9%

Watched Threads