Choosing to go to ARU over LSE - right or wrong? Watch

TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
This is in General Discussion board and not the General University Board because it's not solely about uni, but also considers the wider implication of the choice made. Please don't move it.

As people who post around a bit may know, I held an offer to study business maths and stats at LSE, but chose to take optometry at Anglia Ruskin instead. I've experienced a few different reactions to it, from "Wow, that was a brave choice to make" to "Well, you just ruined your life".

I made the decision, so I know what I think about it, but it interests me as to whether people think it was the right or wrong choice to make (to me, it was neither right nor wrong - it just seemed to be the better option,) and why. Anyone got any opinions to offer? Please don't just say "if you're happy with it, that's all that matters"; I already know I'm happy with it and that's, from a personal perspective, the most important factor. I'm just trying to figure out why people who know feel the need to make a comment, positive or negative.

Thank you.

To the cynics who are going to say 'you just want people to compliment you on your choice': this isn't really about me. Well, it is in the sense of it's a situation I was in, but like I say, I already feel at peace with what I chose, I'm just interested in what people genuinely think. If it helps, just imagine it as a hypothetical person who chose a course at an ex-poly to a different course at LSE. In fact, I almost did write it like that - "Person A had offers from..." - but realised too many people would recognise Person A as me, and that just seems deceitful.
SirRamAlot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well I've spoken to you a few times and I'm applying to Optometry so I have already researched stuff without giving my opinion blindly. So I can say with full confidence that you made the right choice assuming you've always wanted to go into Optometry. The optometry course is similiar across all 8 UK uni's that do Optometry as you know and the employment rate is similiar for all (80%-100% thereabouts) so it's not like you have disadvantaged yourself by going to Anglia Ruskin for Optometry to become an Optometrist.

But you know, the ignorant people who know nothing about the course and just look at what uni you go will say "you're gonna struggle later on" and blah blah when it's far from the truth providing you do well in the course and knowing that Optometry-related jobs aren't that hard to get after graduating.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
I'm just trying to figure out why people who know feel the need to make a comment, positive or negative.
Stop me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the entire point of a web forum?
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
(Original post by mikeyd85)
Stop me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the entire point of a web forum?
I meant in real life.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I meant in real life.
Ooooohhh.

:getmecoat:
a.posteriori
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Math is seen as a good field to study. It's rigorous, and it can lead to good salary after graduation (what I would consider a good career). Similarly, LSE is seen as a very good place to study.

On the other hand, optometry is not generally regarded as being a particularly prestigious field to enter - particularly because it's commonly assumed that anyone with the ability to do so would prefer an education as an ophthalmologist instead. And compared to LSE, Anglia Ruskin is not widely regarded as a prestigious or top-class university.
Drew.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think that the bad choice was made when you applied to LSE; it's no fun house.
a.posteriori
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Drew.)
I think that the bad choice was made when you applied to LSE; it's no fun house.
If you can't figure out how to have fun in London, you're doing it wrong.
najinaji
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SirRamAlot)
Well I've spoken to you a few times and I'm applying to Optometry so I have already researched stuff without giving my opinion blindly. So I can say with full confidence that you made the right choice assuming you've always wanted to go into Optometry. The optometry course is similiar across all 8 UK uni's that do Optometry as you know and the employment rate is similiar for all (80%-100% thereabouts) so it's not like you have disadvantaged yourself by going to Anglia Ruskin for Optometry to become an Optometrist.

But you know, the ignorant people who know nothing about the course and just look at what uni you go will say "you're gonna struggle later on" and blah blah when it's far from the truth providing you do well in the course and knowing that Optometry-related jobs aren't that hard to get after graduating.
:teehee:
Drew.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by a.posteriori)
If you can't figure out how to have fun in London, you're doing it wrong.
That's a given even in an Amish community. I wasn't criticising London anyway, even if it is an overpriced cement pit.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
(Original post by a.posteriori)
Math is seen as a good field to study. It's rigorous, and it can lead to good salary after graduation (what I would consider a good career). Similarly, LSE is seen as a very good place to study.

On the other hand, optometry is not generally regarded as being a particularly prestigious field to enter - particularly because it's commonly assumed that anyone with the ability to do so would prefer an education as an ophthalmologist instead. And compared to LSE, Anglia Ruskin is not widely regarded as a prestigious or top-class university.
Follow-up question: how do you envisage a degree from LSE getting a person into a career like optometry, without them having to take another degree in optometry/career-like-optometry first?
a.posteriori
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It won't.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm just trying to figure out why people who know feel the need to make a comment, positive or negative.

Thank you.
Many people have a fixed idea about uni applications, with regard to rankings, employment prospects, subjects, etc. People like to comment on things that they find unusual. Simple as that really :yes:
SirRamAlot
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by najinaji)
:teehee:
Lol sorry I ****** that last bit up didn't I?
najinaji
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lol sorry I ****** that last bit up didn't I?
Optometry puns... there are so many...
SirRamAlot
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by najinaji)
Optometry puns... there are so many...
Haha oh I really am blind. I completely missed that and I thought you were laughing because the last bit of the sentence doesn't really make sense.
najinaji
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha oh I really am blind. I completely missed that and I thought you were laughing because the last bit of the sentence doesn't really make sense.
:toofunny:
Finbar21
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why did you apply at LSE if you wanted to do optometry, you just prevented someone who wanted to do it surely?
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
(Original post by Finbar21)
Why did you apply at LSE if you wanted to do optometry, you just prevented someone who wanted to do it surely?
Because I realised I wanted to do optometry in April of year thirteen. Believe me, I wish I'd known beforehand as well - would have saved all sorts of hassle.
jimbo139
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It depends what you want to do. The two degrees strike me as very different.

Optometry is primarily a practical subject and involves a lot of interaction with members of the public. There is a clear career path to follow once you qualify.

I know much less about stats etc - but I'd assume the degree would be much less fun, no hands-on element, and whatever job you did at the end of it would be likely to involve more of the same. The earning prospects would be higher for this latter degree - but I can't even imagine wanting to do it, whereas optometry would be quite interesting.

If you're a people person, and like practical skills, you've probably made the right choice for you. If you want to move towards ophthalmic work rather than optometry, there are opportunites to do clinics in hospital etc to learn a bit about it. You'd have to do a medical degree to actually become an ophthalmologist though (eg after your optometry degree. I know 3 people who've successfully done this .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (907)
79.98%
Leave (227)
20.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed