This discussion is closed.
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Barça)
Why?
He has played 'x' amount of games against them now and he is like a rabbit stuck in headlights. He is basically playing every game as an attempt for damage limitation rather than trying to create a new tactic to nullify them.
jit987
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KingMessi)
And this is the issue. Attacking football inevitably leaves holes, and no team is able to exploit holes as well as Barcelona. I mean, they pick holes in Madrid's defence even when they're playing defensively...
Agreed and the same cannot be said about Madrid. Mourinho needs to counter their 3-1-3-3 formation........somehow :beard:
jit987
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Former Barcelona coach Carles Rexach on Pepe: "Unless he wants to experience another episode like Figo, it would be better if he didn't come," the former Spain international told El Mundo Deportivo.
That surely cannot happen again? :rofl:
CB91
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jit987)
Former Barcelona coach Carles Rexach on Pepe: "Unless he wants to experience another episode like Figo, it would be better if he didn't come," the former Spain international told El Mundo Deportivo.
That surely cannot happen again? :rofl:
At least the pig head would actually look like Pepe...
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CB91)
At least the pig head would actually look like Pepe...
Congrats, you've just insulted pigs.
Da_hopeful_1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Quite an excellent video this. Top 100 goals of 2011:

ra-ra-ra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyone watch the Mirandes vs Espanyol game? Great result for Mirandes. They said it's only the 2nd time a team from Segunda B have reached the semi-final of the Copa del Rey. Ha, crazy.
IWantSomeMushu
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
90th minute winner as well. Wow.
KingMessi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ra-ra-ra)
Anyone watch the Mirandes vs Espanyol game? Great result for Mirandes. They said it's only the 2nd time a team from Segunda B have reached the semi-final of the Copa del Rey. Ha, crazy.
Unfortunately not; I watched Crystal Palace v Cardiff. So Mirandes got through?! :eek:
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Agreed and the same cannot be said about Madrid. Mourinho needs to counter their 3-1-3-3 formation........somehow :beard:
I have the philosophy that if you're going to lose, better to lose 3-0 playing good, expansive football than 2-1 playing thuggish, defensive football...I doubt even Madrid could beat Barcelona unless Barcelona have an off day, but they may as well gain more platitudes than they've gained thus far whilst getting beaten.
ra-ra-ra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Unfortunately not; I watched Crystal Palace v Cardiff. So Mirandes got through?! :eek:
I was flicking between them two games but i managed to flick over just as the free kick was being taken. 92nd minute. It was from a free kick near to the box, the keeper for them was up too. The ball was just crossed in and the guy got a head to it. They will either play Mallorca or Bilbao. Hopefully it'll be Bilbao because it'll be a bit of a derby because Burgos isn't too far away from Bilbao so it'll be great for the little club. It was odd to see a Spanish game in such a small ground like that too but great to watch the scenes once the whistle went.
jit987
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyone seen yesterday's revista de la liga?

Guillem Balague said: (on last wednesday's match)
In the tunnel, on the way to the changing rooms, at the end of the game; the Spanish players of Real Madrid and the Spanish players of Barcelona got together and the Spanish players of Barcelona saying "what was that about?"....the Spanish players of Madrid saying "we don't know". In the meantime, Ronaldo was passing by saying "not even 3 passes...we cannot give 3 passes!".
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyone seen yesterday's revista de la liga?

Guillem Balague said: (on last wednesday's match)
In the tunnel, on the way to the changing rooms, at the end of the game; the Spanish players of Real Madrid and the Spanish players of Barcelona got together and the Spanish players of Barcelona saying "what was that about?"....the Spanish players of Madrid saying "we don't know". In the meantime, Ronaldo was passing by saying "not even 3 passes...we cannot give 3 passes!".
This whole issue seems to have been widely blown out of all proportion. The Madrid players are naturally going to have been frustrated after yet another chastening defeat to Barcelona, and I have no doubt that this sort of irritation occurs frequently after defeats all throughout the game. Marca et al. need to stop creating such a huge deal out of the problems at Madrid; they're well in with a chance of progressing, they're five points clear at the top of La Liga, playing well in the Champions League and putting in reasonable performances against Barcelona. Some perspective is needed, especially with all of the words being bandied about like 'crisis' or 'revolt'.
jit987
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This whole issue seems to have been widely blown out of all proportion. The Madrid players are naturally going to have been frustrated after yet another chastening defeat to Barcelona, and I have no doubt that this sort of irritation occurs frequently after defeats all throughout the game. Marca et al. need to stop creating such a huge deal out of the problems at Madrid; they're well in with a chance of progressing, they're five points clear at the top of La Liga, playing well in the Champions League and putting in reasonable performances against Barcelona. Some perspective is needed, especially with all of the words being bandied about like 'crisis' or 'revolt'.
Don't think any Madrid fans would agree with that.
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't think any Madrid fans would agree with that.
Perhaps not, but I can't honestly see how they can do any more. They've tried both the attacking and the defensive, and can't beat them either way. Madrid have to come to terms with the fact that they're inferior to Barcelona, and it's not (in my opinion) a tactical issue; in a period of ninety minutes, concentration will lapse at some point - the offside trap for Abidal's goal, the marking for Puyol's goal...and Barcelona will break through.
jit987
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Real Madrid's Pepe escapes punishment

Ridiculous
CB91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SonnyZH)
Madrid have a mental issue with Barcelona, just like they had it with Lyon or getting through the first round in CL until last year. Once you get through those barriers it's all over. IMO; Madrid's players aren't inferior to Barcelona's if you compare them one on one (yes, a couple might, but not the majority).

As a matter of fact, Madrid's players are bigger, faster and stronger than Barcelona's, which should balance it out on the technical bit.

Mourinho's mindset when he plays against Barcelona is another drawback for the ''merengues''. When he see's himself with them infront he goes off the top, acting in the most irrational ways (Carvalho and Altintop playing first 11 the other day...).
That means absolutely nothing. Madrid are simply outplayed and out-thought by Barca. Being bigger, faster or stronger isn't going to help, and it certainly isnt going to "balance out" the technical side. It's not FIFA.

Madrid need a better DM to sit alongside Alonso and a better CB tbh.
CB91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It should on the defensive side, at least to a certain degree and especially should on the counter-attack.

Nonetheless, I agree with you on that. Alonso plays by himself, he's the only creative mid-fielder Mourinho has. IMO he might be a bit overrated too but regardless of this that is why Barcelona go by so easily, just compare Alonso-Diarra to Busquets-Iniesta-Xavi-Fabregas.
Maybe on the counter, but in defence I disagree. Barca don't have much of a physical threat up front, so you don't need a big, strong defender. You need someone with immaculate positioning, marking and tackling. Ramos is needed out at RB, Pepe isn't composed enough, Carvalho is getting on now and Albiol is a bit suspect.

I don't know who Madrid would get to partner Alonso, but they need a player like Cambiasso tbh.
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mourinho was thinking about Granero for today's match - Sahin not being able to play god knows why. But yes, they definitely need another creative player there to compete with Barcelona.

I say they'll lose again today but if I were Mourinho this is the starting eleven I'd take out:

PS: Di Maria not sure if available; if not, I'd put Callejon instead.
Coentrao as a DM? And Diarra as a RB?

Also, Alonso is too far forward. He'd die playing that high up.
forex
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Team I would play (4-5-1):

Casillas

Sergio Ramos
Ricardo Carvalho
Arbeloa
Fábio Coentrão (sub Marcelo)

Xabi Alonso
Mesut Ozil
L. Diarra
Cristiano Ronaldo
Jose Callejon (sub Di Maria)

G. Higuaín (sub Benzema)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (46)
9.24%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.81%
No, but I want to start (177)
35.54%
No, I am unable to (117)
23.49%
No, I chose not to (144)
28.92%