The European/World Football Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
robocop1andahalf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSS! FORZA UDINESE!

An extremely 100,000% deserved third place woohoo! :woo:

And to arrogant inconsistent Inter - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHA VAFFANCULO! :aetsch:
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Udinese take 3rd in Italy, and with it the final CL place. Inter finished 6th - will Stramo be given the job for the first few months of next season?
I Kant Spall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just finished watching Montpellier vs. Lille. What an exciting game... and the winning goal was scored 4 minutes into stoppage time. Sound familiar? And Giroud--what a player! Ran half the length of the pitch, held off defenders, and passed the ball across the face of goal for the winning tap in. This has been an exciting year in football and Ligue 1 is no exception. One more week of football!
Darth Vader 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kevmeister)
Udinese take 3rd in Italy, and with it the final CL place. Inter finished 6th - will Stramo be given the job for the first few months of next season?
Sold 3 key players and managed to finish a position higher the following season. Amazing achievement for them.
Kevmeister
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Darth Vader 7)
Sold 3 key players and managed to finish a position higher the following season. Amazing achievement for them.
6th highest wage bill in the league. Hope they get a favourable draw for the qualifiers, otherwise the achievement pales a little if they don't get to group stages.

Very interesting summer ahead at Inter. Will they keep Stramo? Squad needs investment - Lucio and Samuel are veterans, they sold Motta to PSG in January. Zanetti cannot go on forever. Can they keep Sneijder, Maicon? Chivu is reportedly on the way out, he's out of contract and has been offered a lower deal to stay. Forlan is in talks with Athletico Mineiro in Brazil, so if he goes they need a forward just to level things, but I think they need two as Milito is getting on and Pazzini/Zarate haven't delivered.

Milan need a lot of work too. Roma are in permanent transition. I think Napoli will take a big money offer for one of their stars, to make up the revenue lost due to no CL. Don't know much about Lazio's situation. ....
TM94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Auxerre relegated after 30 years in Ligue 1
Darth Vader 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kevmeister)
6th highest wage bill in the league. Hope they get a favourable draw for the qualifiers, otherwise the achievement pales a little if they don't get to group stages.

Very interesting summer ahead at Inter. Will they keep Stramo? Squad needs investment - Lucio and Samuel are veterans, they sold Motta to PSG in January. Zanetti cannot go on forever. Can they keep Sneijder, Maicon? Chivu is reportedly on the way out, he's out of contract and has been offered a lower deal to stay. Forlan is in talks with Athletico Mineiro in Brazil, so if he goes they need a forward just to level things, but I think they need two as Milito is getting on and Pazzini/Zarate haven't delivered.

Milan need a lot of work too. Roma are in permanent transition. I think Napoli will take a big money offer for one of their stars, to make up the revenue lost due to no CL. Don't know much about Lazio's situation. ....
Personally want them to face Tottenham as they're probably the only team able to win against Spurs out of the qualifiers.

Inter's team will be in transition next season and I can see them finish in the top 6 but will struggle for CL places. However, the difference is that they'll have a considerably younger squad. I can see Sneijder leaving. Is he still interested in United or have you sorted out the midfield with Kagawa? Not sure about Maicon, isn't be pushing it a bit?

I'm hoping Napoli can sell Cavani to Arsenal if Van Persie decides to leave . Kinda glad they didn't make CL football.
Stu Laverty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Montpellier score in the last minute to claim a priceless win over Lille.

So close now. Just a point needed to achieve one of the great stories in Europe this season.
Kevmeister
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Personally want them to face Tottenham as they're probably the only team able to win against Spurs out of the qualifiers.

Inter's team will be in transition next season and I can see them finish in the top 6 but will struggle for CL places. However, the difference is that they'll have a considerably younger squad. I can see Sneijder leaving. Is he still interested in United or have you sorted out the midfield with Kagawa? Not sure about Maicon, isn't be pushing it a bit?

I'm hoping Napoli can sell Cavani to Arsenal if Van Persie decides to leave . Kinda glad they didn't make CL football.
Think his wages are the sticking point, that and his age - he'll have no resale value, but Inter will hold out for £20m [?]. So a four year deal puts him in his 30s by the end of it. Maicon could be a short term option for someone in need of a RB. Mourinho likes him, but no talk of a deal though.

Lavezzi linked to Inter, booed by fans today.

EDIT: Guidolin has said he's not sure if he'll continue at Udinese next season. Massive loss if he goes. Intimated that he needs a break, akin to Pep.
I Kant Spall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Still can't believe Villarreal got relegated. Their B team plays in la Segunda División so they get relegated too, which in turn relegates the C team. Triple relegation, in essence. This was a team in the Champions League, goddamn! Villarreal is gone and with their debt problem, we probably won't be seeing them again for quite some time. That's what they get for selling their best player, Santi Cazorla, as well as having poor luck with injuries (Rossi) and appointing an absolute moron as manager: Lotina. Let's have a look at this man's track record:

- relegated Villarreal, Villarreal B, Villarreal C
- relegated Deportivo de La Coruña
- relegated Real Socieded
- relegated Celta de Vigo
- almost relegated RCD Espanyol, saved on the last match of the season with a goal in the last minute of the injury time

How does this man have a job as a football manager?
jam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by I Kant Spall)
Still can't believe Villarreal got relegated. Their B team plays in la Segunda División so they get relegated too, which in turn relegates the C team. Triple relegation, in essence. This was a team in the Champions League, goddamn! Villarreal is gone and with their debt problem, we probably won't be seeing them again for quite some time. That's what they get for selling their best player, Santi Cazorla, as well as having poor luck with injuries (Rossi) and appointing an absolute moron as manager: Lotina. Let's have a look at this man's track record:

- relegated Villarreal, Villarreal B, Villarreal C
- relegated Deportivo de La Coruña
- relegated Real Socieded
- relegated Celta de Vigo
- almost relegated RCD Espanyol, saved on the last match of the season with a goal in the last minute of the injury time

How does this man have a job as a football manager?
Villareal remind me way too much of sampdoria.
ra-ra-ra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
His record is shocking and a moron as you put it but i don't think it really helped that he was their 3rd manager this season. Getting rid of Garrido, and then Molina after 3 months or so in charge and then getting Lotina to come and take over couldn't have done them any good. Then obviously they've had to deal with the loss of Rossi as well as losing Nilmar for a couple of months too.

I wonder if the likes of Angel, Diego Lopez and Gonzalo will go. All been there for a good 5 years or so. Diego Lopez would be a perfect signing for Atleti. Maybe they will get Courtois back for another season but Diego Lopez still has a few years left in him and would be perfect for a good 3 or 4 seasons. I would love him to go to Atleti.
Kevmeister
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ra-ra-ra)
His record is shocking and a moron as you put it but i don't think it really helped that he was their 3rd manager this season. Getting rid of Garrido, and then Molina after 3 months or so in charge and then getting Lotina to come and take over couldn't have done them any good. Then obviously they've had to deal with the loss of Rossi as well as losing Nilmar for a couple of months too.

I wonder if the likes of Angel, Diego Lopez and Gonzalo will go. All been there for a good 5 years or so. Diego Lopez would be a perfect signing for Atleti. Maybe they will get Courtois back for another season but Diego Lopez still has a few years left in him and would be perfect for a good 3 or 4 seasons. I would love him to go to Atleti.
Courtois is on a two season loan and Atleti are in bad financial shape - someone mentioned they owe Porto money for Falcao?
xxm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wow. Villarreal relegated!? Wow.

Admittedly I haven't followed spanish football at all this season.
username912610
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With Villareal relegated, will Rossi leave?
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Kruz)
With Villareal relegated, will Rossi leave?
Probably not tbf as he has suffered two cruise ligament injuries on the run so he won't be recovered until January at the earliest, then clubs will likely want to see how it's affected him.
Darth Vader 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I find it funny that Zapata's previous team has secured some form of CL qualification whilst his current team has been relegated. Talk about bad career moves.
username912610
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I find it funny that Zapata's previous team has secured some form of CL qualification whilst his current team has been relegated. Talk about bad career moves.
Haha! I was going to bring this up, jokes on him I guess.
Kevmeister
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Link to photo of Milan ultras bidding farewell to players.
jit987
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ruud van Nistelrooy announces his retirement this summer, after deciding not to renew his contract with Malaga.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.72%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.63%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.51%
No, I am unable to (141)
23.19%
No, I chose not to (176)
28.95%