How much money do you spend on books for university? Watch

WithoutName
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

I was wondering how much money you spend on books for university. Do you buy any or do you lend all from library?

Thanks
GnMvP
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I haven't spent any money on books yet, but I am planning on doing so this year.
Although I've spent a small fortune in printing out stuff, lecture notes etc
duracell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It really depends on your specific course. Doing languages at St Andrews I bought 4-5 books per semester (2 semesters in a year) which ranged from £4 to £15 each. I know people doing languages elsewhere can spend much more.
Also, people doing other subjects at my uni can spend any amount of money - Biology students had to get a 'pack' of stuff for about £90 one semester, and one IR textbook cost about £25.

I think it's ok to get books from the library that you're going to use once, maybe twice, but anything that you actually need for class/lectures (e.g. literature texts for languages) I'd recommend buying. Also if you wait until after the first week, and ask second years etc, you can find out which books you actually need to buy. Try searching around charity shops/looking at noticeboards in your hall/union because second years may be selling them on at cheaper prices than the local bookshop!
Jennie1987
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by WithoutName)
Hi,

I was wondering how much money you spend on books for university. Do you buy any or do you lend all from library?

Thanks
Marketing, UWE and first year i didnt buy one of the books and didnt borrow from the library but year on year it cost me about £350, last year we had some modules that used the same books as before so only about £280. I prefer to have my own cos loads of people complained they couldnt get one from the library as lots rely on those to save money and when I wanted to check something for week to week work they were checked out (i live 30 mins at least away from uni so i would go to check after a class sometimes as you dont always take them with you).

You can then sell them on and make some of your money back.

Oh and often seminar work was 'chapter 6 case study and questions' which you wouldnt have in another textbook and no matter how much you look on the net they arent posted on there :grr: so had to have the textbooks if they were all checked out.
NikNakWakAtak
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I didn't spend any money; London has many large libraries and the British Library is within walking distance from my house, so I have no reason to spend money on books.

If you don't live in London, you'll probably have to fork out.
Lilrascal19
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I spent about £200 in my first semester.
I now borrow the reading material from the library and I'd advise anyone starting uni this September to do the same thing.
halfoflessthan50p
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Its worth checking the library first before parting with your cash. If the library doesn't have a limit on the number of time you can renew a book there's no reason you can't just keep it in your room and renew it on the internet every week/fortnight.

If you do have to buy a book make sure you order it off Amazon (2nd hand if possible) rather than getting ripped off at Waterstones or your uni shop.

I spent less than £50 on books during my 3 years at uni.
GnMvP
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
If you do have to buy a book make sure you order it off Amazon (2nd hand if possible) rather than getting ripped off at Waterstones or your uni shop.
Exactly this!
facetious
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by WithoutName)
Hi,

Thanks
I spent roughly 200 on books in my first year. But I'm planning on selling a couple, so should get a bit back
DaddyT
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
originally i used to buy all of my books, but then by the second and third year i took to only buying books if the course was literally built around it, otherwise i would check for library availability first.
missygeorgia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In my first year of English Lit I bought 3 or 4 novels a term maybe, and anything else I'd get from the library. So like, £40 a term?
GnMvP
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by missygeorgia)
In my first year of English Lit I bought 3 or 4 novels a term maybe, and anything else I'd get from the library. So like, £40 a term?
Well I am guessing that the average price for EEEng books is about 100 pounds. So you don't really get much choice..
bigmo7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
About £200 I reckon, selling the ones that I don't need so I should get a bit back. :bigsmile:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (140)
18.52%
No (459)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (157)
20.77%

Watched Threads