Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so my question is kind of related to a concern I picked up from some post I read somewhere. I was really interested in doing a language floater next year (first year) but someone said that its heavily discouraged to do something you have no background in. That doesnt help seeing as I specifically wanted to study a foreign language I have no background in.

Does anyone with experience of a language floater have anything to say about how difficult it was with the workload? Apparently its supposed to be hard because you dont have as much time as people doing them as a degree to pick up skills. I would be gutted if I couldnt do one.

ReputationRep:
    No, you should do a language floater in your first year. The reason is that language units have more class contact time than your other subjects, so it's better to take them in your first or second years than third. You shouldn't listen to that person who said it's 'heavily discouraged'. The complete opposite is true in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acolyte)
    No, you should do a language floater in your first year. The reason is that language units have more class contact time than your other subjects, so it's better to take them in your first or second years than third. You shouldn't listen to that person who said it's 'heavily discouraged'. The complete opposite is true in my experience.
    What language did you do and how hard did you find it to pick up?

Also, I am assuming that first year doesnt count so all you would need to do is pass the unit right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iberz)
    What language did you do and how hard did you find it to pick up?
    No language I took at SOAS was difficult to pick up .. they teach from scratch in most cases. The teaching staff at the Languages and Cultures Faculty are good in terms of their teaching techniques. The classroom experience is very interactive so people are not left alone to fall behind. If you find yourself falling behind you can get help, advice and extra tuition from the course tutors. You can't sit in the corner of the class and be left alone, put it that way.. You have to pull your weight and prepare between classes and get properly involved in the lessons. It's much more important to be able to do this in your language class than in a social setting or at the Students Union.
    Oh and if you're going to take Arabic, start preparing now...

Also, I am assuming that first year doesnt count so all you would need to do is pass the unit right?
    You need to just pass your first year. However in reality people generally don't just scrape the grade. They either get a good grade or they have dropped out before exam time. If you do nothing but just keep on top of things, you will get a good grade. If you don't prepare, you will feel a crushing need to drop out.

ReputationRep:
    No language I took at SOAS was difficult to pick up .. they teach from scratch in most cases. The teaching staff at the Languages and Cultures Faculty are good in terms of their teaching techniques. The classroom experience is very interactive so people are not left alone to fall behind. If you find yourself falling behind you can get help, advice and extra tuition from the course tutors. You can't sit in the corner of the class and be left alone, put it that way.. You have to pull your weight and prepare between classes and get properly involved in the lessons. It's much more important to be able to do this in your language class than in a social setting or at the Students Union.

You need to just pass your first year. However in reality people generally don't just scrape the grade. They either get a good grade or they have dropped out before exam time. If you do nothing but just keep on top of things, you will get a good grade. If you don't prepare, you will feel a crushing need to drop out.
    Why would arabic students need to prepare now??

ReputationRep:
    No language I took at SOAS was difficult to pick up ..

Nah I already speak arabic with some fluency.

Im looking at japanese. That seems to be the hardest from what I can see. What do you know of peoples experiences with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmfao)
    Why would arabic students need to prepare now??
    It has a high drop-out rate. It makes sense to prepare in advance to give you a head start. It's up to the individual but in most cases people prepare in advance then pretend they haven't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iberz)
    Nah I already speak arabic with some fluency.

Im looking at japanese. That seems to be the hardest from what I can see. What do you know of peoples experiences with that?
    Not much.. I knew someone who took Japanese and she said it was fun but hard work.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing a language floater in Vietnamese in my second year, it's not easy but I am enjoying it.

They might tell you 'not to do it' in the faculty office once you get there, but you just need to stand your ground because you're allowed to do it and I think it's a very good choice. In fact, if you start doing a language in your first year you can do it until Third Year and you can get a lot better at it than if you started it in your Second/Third year.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iberz)
    Okay so my question is kind of related to a concern I picked up from some post I read somewhere. I was really interested in doing a language floater next year (first year) but someone said that its heavily discouraged to do something you have no background in. That doesnt help seeing as I specifically wanted to study a foreign language I have no background in.
    They're talking ****.

ReputationRep:
    I do Hindi, not as a floater but as a combined honours with Development, however a lot of people in my classes take it as a floater. Take a language! It's such a unique oppurtunity to learn some really interesting languages, next year I want to do a floater in Sanskrit or Persian... Workload is a lot, honestly, but it's really rewarding and exciting when you realise that you can actually read those strange looking squiggles....

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.