Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on applying for English/English & Creative Writing for 2011 entry. Problem is that in September I'll be entering my third year of sixth form.

My AS grades were AAAA and and I'm hoping to get AAA-A*A*A when I get my A2 results in August. However I have an A Level in English Language rather than English Literature. By the end of my AS year I wasn't happy with the decision I'd made to take English Language and had realised that I wanted to to do Literature at uni. I didn't really know what to do about this so when I started my A2 year I went to see my senior tutor and told him I wasn't happy with the subjects I was doing and and that I wouldn't be able to apply for the degree I wanted to do with them. But he wouldn't give me the option of dropping any of my subjects to allow me to do English Lit instead. I went to see him several times to try to sort something out but then I became ill and missed several weeks of college. By the time I went back and spoke to him again he said it was too late to be put into English Lit classes now and I would just have to stick with the subjects I was doing and complete an English Lit A Level in a third year.

So now I'm going back to do a full Lit A Level and I'm going to pick up a further A Level in Classical Civ. So when I'm applying for uni I'll already have a full set of A Level grades but only a predicted grade for English Lit, obviously the essential subject.

I'm really hoping to get into a good, maybe top, uni. The ones I'm interested in right now are Warwick, Exeter, Nottingham, Royal Holloway and UEA. I know it's a big minus taking an extra year to meet entrance requirements so do I not stand a chance with these unis?

It's just really frustrating because I've done well so far in my A Levels and will hopefully have straight A results in August so I should be able to apply for some good unis but I feel like I'm doomed already I really feel like my college weren't helpful at all when I told them that I really wanted to change to English Lit and now I'm going to be at a major disadvantage.

Sorry about how long this is! But honestly, do I stand a chance? Has anyone here been accepted for a good uni for English doing 3 years at sixth form?

ReputationRep:
    It'l be fine as long as you get say AAA or whatever you need to get in your first sitting, which your on track to get. Make sure that you get your referee to explain the situation in your reference as it should be fine. Im in the same situation (wanting to apply for Medicine but didnt have chemistry) and its fine as long as you meet the requirements from your first A levels in terms of grades and explain it to them in your reference. Sorry if that makes no sense

ReputationRep:
    Unless it's top5 there's little chance that it's a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob16)
    It'l be fine as long as you get say AAA or whatever you need to get in your first sitting, which your on track to get. Make sure that you get your referee to explain the situation in your reference as it should be fine. Im in the same situation (wanting to apply for Medicine but didnt have chemistry) and its fine as long as you meet the requirements from your first A levels in terms of grades and explain it to them in your reference. Sorry if that makes no sense
    Well it's good to know I'm not the only one having this sort of problem. It's just so annoying that choosing or not choosing one subject for you're AS Levels can ruin your uni applications because I don't know about other people but when I was 16 just leaving secondary school I certainly hadn't thought about uni at all and had no idea what entry requirements would be like or even what degree I'd want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesssty)
    Unless it's top5 there's little chance that it's a problem.
    Warwick are pretty close to the top, do you think they'll have a problem with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubble11)
    Well it's good to know I'm not the only one having this sort of problem. It's just so annoying that choosing or not choosing one subject for you're AS Levels can ruin your uni applications because I don't know about other people but when I was 16 just leaving secondary school I certainly hadn't thought about uni at all and had no idea what entry requirements would be like or even what degree I'd want to do.
    I was exactly the same! I had no idea what to take at all, so I picked random subjects hoping to leave my options open, but then I had to go decide on one of the few subjects I didn't have the right A levels for! Its a bit unfair that decisions we make at 16 effect University and our careers but hey.
    Well yeah anyways it should be fine, I emailed all the universities I wanted to go to about the problem and they said it's not a problem at all as long as its in the reference. They don't like A levels being taken over 3 years, but that doesn't apply to us because we are completing our A levels within 2 years of starting them It's when people do like Biology, English and French but take 3 years to do them, thats when its a problem So you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Warwick are pretty close to the top, do you think they'll have a problem with it?
    When I emailed, even Cambridge said they were fine with it. Like I said the 3 year thin doesnt really apply in your situation. Should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob16)
    When I emailed, even Cambridge said they were fine with it. Like I said the 3 year thin doesnt really apply in your situation. Should be fine
    Well that's really good to hear Thanks, you've made me feel more positive about the whole thing I'm just going to be really nervous because there's such crazy competition for uni places :dong: I'm just hoping that the fact that I'll already have some achieved A Level grades rather than just predicted ones will work in my favour and I'm hoping the personal statement counts for as much as people make out it does.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's really good to hear Thanks, you've made me feel more positive about the whole thing I'm just going to be really nervous because there's such crazy competition for uni places :dong: I'm just hoping that the fact that I'll already have some achieved A Level grades rather than just predicted ones will work in my favour and I'm hoping the personal statement counts for as much as people make out it does.
    Aye same, I know Lit is competitive like Medicine, its just impossible! I'm hoping the same, then again I dont think my A2s this summer will be all that great but oh well, life goes on
    Glad I helped make you feel more positive!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fine to me - I had to take a third year to get another A-Level as I missed my UCL offer, but they accepted me next time round, and that was on the back of poor performance, not on having chosen the wrong subjects. So if you're already looking at stellar marks, can't see how it would be a problem at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dann)
    Sounds fine to me - I had to take a third year to get another A-Level as I missed my UCL offer, but they accepted me next time round, and that was on the back of poor performance, not on having chosen the wrong subjects. So if you're already looking at stellar marks, can't see how it would be a problem at all.
    That's really encouraging to hear because UCL is so difficult to get into! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Also, assuming you get your grades okay come August, you'll be applying with confirmed academic ability in several subjects, rather than just predicted grades - so I suppose it might even be a slight advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatfineframe)
    Also, assuming you get your grades okay come August, you'll be applying with confirmed academic ability in several subjects, rather than just predicted grades - so I suppose it might even be a slight advantage.
    I really hope so :unsure:

I'm just worried that they'll think I'm not interested enough in the subject because I didn't take it straight away in my AS year and I'm up against people who already have an AS grade while I don't. Hopefully the fact that I'm staying an extra year just to get this A Level in Lit will show how much I want to study it but they might not see it that way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 27, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.