Turn on thread page Beta

Sos watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    - DT resistant materials
    Does anyone know ANYTHING about a computer workplace than can be adjustable for a normal person in a normal chair AND a person in a wheelchair?
    What is the height of a wheelchair?!?!

Pls reply as soon as poss!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Makesure that the desk level is adjustable in height between say 2 and 4 feet (all wheelchairs vary in size) and that supports do not obstruct the knees underneath and the screen is viewable from a greater distance (arm rest on the chair may prevent them getting too close). There should be books of anthropodmetric data in your school for able bodied people as well as people who require the assistance of a wheelchair.

I take offense at the implication that people in wheelchairs aren't normal though.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Makesure that the desk level is adjustable in height between say 2 and 4 feet (all wheelchairs vary in size) and that supports do not obstruct the knees underneath and the screen is viewable from a greater distance (arm rest on the chair may prevent them getting too close). There should be books of anthropodmetric data in your school for able bodied people as well as people who require the assistance of a wheelchair.

I take offense at the implication that people in wheelchairs aren't normal though.

Alaric.
    I'm sorry I didn't mean anything by it I just meant people who are disabled...I think I'm making this worse...
    thanks
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Blush Babe)
    - DT resistant materials
    Does anyone know ANYTHING about a computer workplace than can be adjustable for a normal person in a normal chair AND a person in a wheelchair?
    What is the height of a wheelchair?!?!

Pls reply as soon as poss!!!!
    Hold on - I'll get a measuring tape and measure my hubby's knee height...

70cm (thats the height at which his knees sit so that would be the height to clear at)

And the average wheelchair needs clearance under the desk of about 70cm width and 40cm depth.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    The disabled community refers to non-disabled people as ABs (Able Bodied)

And a degree of adjustability would be sensible depending on what the desk would be used for - if it's likely to be used by a variety of people one after another (say public workstations in a library) then it needs to be adjustable really...if it's likely to be a persons workstation at work (ie where they work for 95% of their time then I would say build in adaptions to make the desk higher or lower (boosters to increase the height or adaptable feet/legs to lower it).

The tables on the new virgin trains are an excellent example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Hold on - I'll get a measuring tape and measure my hubby's knee height...

70cm (thats the height at which his knees sit so that would be the height to clear at)

And the average wheelchair needs clearance under the desk of about 70cm width and 40cm depth.
    Cheers!
    BB
    P.S. Your husband's knee height is 70 cm?!?! Mine's 46 cm with shoes!!
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Blush Babe)
    Cheers!
    BB
    P.S. Your husband's knee height is 70 cm?!?! Mine's 46 cm with shoes!!
    70cm when sat in a wheelchair (measure the height of the *top* of your knees sat in a desk chair - mines at 65cm atm...this is the lowest a desk could be above the floor for me to fit underneath it sat on this desk chair)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    70cm when sat in a wheelchair (measure the height of the *top* of your knees sat in a desk chair - mines at 65cm atm...this is the lowest a desk could be above the floor for me to fit underneath it sat on this desk chair)
    Wow ...guess I'm a midget....I'm only 1m 60cms.

ReputationRep:
    if this is for a mock i did this paper for my gcse. revise ur metal process very well. eg how you would finish, mould. i think you also have to design a leg for the work station. you have to design 3 workstations in total also, you cud use a crank & lever mechanism to have an adjustable height. dont 4get the printer, scanner etc must be at a suitable height.
    also revise stuff on wood.

hope this is of sum help to you (",)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone)
    if this is for a mock i did this paper for my gcse. revise ur metal process very well. eg how you would finish, mould. i think you also have to design a leg for the work station. you have to design 3 workstations in total also, you cud use a crank & lever mechanism to have an adjustable height. dont 4get the printer, scanner etc must be at a suitable height.
    also revise stuff on wood.

hope this is of sum help to you (",)
    THANK YOU LITTLE ONE!!! yOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU RIGHT NOW!!!
    BB

ReputationRep:
    jus here 2 help. gud luck

ReputationRep:
    jus here 2 help. gud luck
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (",)
    Now where have I seen that symbol thing before?

ReputationRep:
    also, if im not wrong theres a 5 mark question on cad/CAM.. stop sayin thanx ;-)

ReputationRep:
    also, if im not wrong theres a 5 mark question on cad/CAM.. stop sayin thanx ;-)
    I'll try ...to the minimi person the symbol is in my mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to everyone who helped me on this!! The mock didn't go too bad (I'm more of a maths and english person). Although I think it wasn't clever on our teacher's side to choose last year's GCSE exam for our mock!! But he doesn't care anyway...he hardly teaches us!!!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.