Is a motorcyclist allowed to do this? Watch

Hopple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hopefully the drawing and my explanation will make the situation clear. There is a road with 2 lanes in each direction leading up to a traffic light junction. The light is red, hence the double queue in the top half of the picture. There is a traffic island about 15m away from the traffic lights, which I am crossing to. I only looked to my right as that is the only place I thought traffic might come from, and crossed because it was clear.

Halfway to the island I hear tooting from my left, and I turn to see the motorcycle heading towards me on the wrong side of the road (it was overtaking all the stationary traffic). It then nips back to the correct side with the rider shaking their fist at me.

Who had right of way there? If I had been a vehicle travelling on the road then I would have, but as a pedestrian crossing the road? What if it had been a (non-motor-) cyclist aiming to turn right at the lights?

Here is the picture: http://i28.tinypic.com/2yuacs0.png
PJ991
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
haha. I like the drawing.

But he shouldn't have been on the wrong side of the road.
S.R
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hopple)
Hopefully the drawing and my explanation will make the situation clear. There is a road with 2 lanes in each direction leading up to a traffic light junction. The light is red, hence the double queue in the top half of the picture. There is a traffic island about 15m away from the traffic lights, which I am crossing to. I only looked to my right as that is the only place I thought traffic might come from, and crossed because it was clear.

Halfway to the island I hear tooting from my left, and I turn to see the motorcycle heading towards me on the wrong side of the road (it was overtaking all the stationary traffic). It then nips back to the correct side with the rider shaking their fist at me.

Who had right of way there? If I had been a vehicle travelling on the road then I would have, but as a pedestrian crossing the road? What if it had been a (non-motor-) cyclist aiming to turn right at the lights?

Obviously illegal, he's on the wrong side of the road.
alex p
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
if he were to go around the island that should have unbroken lines and therefore cannot be overtaken?
Digit_Five
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hopple)

In most situations, if you've started crossing, you gain right of way over vehicles. In this case, the rider was performing an illegal overtaking manoeuvre which, according to the highway code, makes him a ********.
blinkbelle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you'd started to cross before he'd arrived @ the place you were crossing, under the highway code you have pedestrian precedence xx
balloon_parade
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's motorcyclists for you. :rant:

I can't believe he had the audacity to shake his fist at you when he was completely in the wrong. If he had hit you it would have been entirely his fault and not at all yours! Stupid idiot.

p.s I like your drawing!
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Pedestrias always have right of way once they step on the road.
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
he shouldn't have been on the wrong side of the road, were there the arrows pointing to the left on the bollards to? (sorry thats just noseyness) But you should also look both ways when crossing regardless, just to avoid being hit by idiots.
HumorousGent.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by balloon_parade)
If he had hit you it would have been entirely his fault and not at all yours!
Well, a glance left wouldn't have been a bad idea...

But yes he's a very naughty boy.
hobo06
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Digit_Five)
In most situations, if you've started crossing, you gain right of way over vehicles. In this case, the rider was performing an illegal overtaking manoeuvre which, according to the highway code, makes him a ********.
Was that terminology ever used in the highway code? I must have missed a section :p:

That drawing is brilliant though!
BandManDan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't you just love microsoft paint!
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's motorcyclists for you. :rant:
Please don't generalise about bikes. We aren't all agressive idiots who break the law.

He was an agressive idiot who possibly shouldn't be allowed on the road, i am a motorcyclist who enjoys biking without upsetting everyone.
Digit_Five
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hobo06)
Was that terminology ever used in the highway code? I must have missed a section :p:
Ah, you obviously weren't paying attention...if I recall it came just after;

When passing a cyclist you should: Leave plenty of room and pass slowly, to allow you time to wind down your window and shout abuse at them.
hobo06
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Digit_Five)
Ah, you obviously weren't paying attention...if I recall it came just after;

When passing a cyclist you should: Leave plenty of room and pass slowly, to allow you time to wind down your window and shout abuse at them.
****, how did I ever pass my test?! I only remember having to do that for bus stops...
balloon_parade
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
Please don't generalise about bikes. We aren't all agressive idiots who break the law.

He was an agressive idiot who possibly shouldn't be allowed on the road, i am a motorcyclist who enjoys biking without upsetting everyone.
Sorry to generalise you are right so I do apologise.

It is just that my commute is on a popular motorcyclist route and the near misses I have seen and been involved in through the fault of a biker are a joke. Some motorcyclists are an absolute danger to themselves and others. I cannot help but feel annoyed with them most of the time!
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sorry to generalise you are right so I do apologise.

It is just that my commute is on a popular motorcyclist route and the near misses I have seen and been involved in through the fault of a biker are a joke. Some motorcyclists are an absolute danger to themselves and others. I cannot help but feel annoyed with them most of the time!
Just remember the really good bikers you dont even notice as they are safe, stay out of the way and don't draw attention to themselves.

You only notice the idiots because they scare you/everyone else, probably have a silly exhaust and rev lots, drawing attention to themselves.

Most of us are lovely (and we're polite, law abiding, will help little old ladies across the street, and have some common sense )
balloon_parade
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
Just remember the really good bikers you dont even notice as they are safe, stay out of the way and don't draw attention to themselves.

You only notice the idiots because they scare you/everyone else, probably have a silly exhaust and rev lots, drawing attention to themselves.

Most of us are lovely (and we're polite, law abiding, will help little old ladies across the street, and have some common sense )
I'll look out for the good bikers from now on and think of you :p:
M1F2R3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Epic painting.
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'll look out for the good bikers from now on and think of you :p:
But do feel free to shout at the bad ones. its a good stress relief. I enjoy shouting at them :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (238)
27.23%
No (636)
72.77%

Watched Threads