Self teaching guitar Watch

TheCount.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
What methods are most effective to self teach guitar?
Books? Video's? or is a teacher the only effective means?
Also, how long would It take to become quite fluent?
Years?
Jackeeeee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i wanna do this!! ive had an acoustic in my room for about 12 years!
i think its months rather than years (although if you're looking to play like hendrix it might be decades if you dont have the natural talent...i.e. me!)
theres some cool websites that have videos and tutorials- youtube is your friend.
also, it might be worth getting a teacher for 1 or 2 sessions to pick up the basics and then being cheap and honing in on the details after online...
Rucaaw
Report 8 years ago
Its all in the practice! Just practice, practice, practice and eventually you will get there. Great guitarists such as Satriani, Vai, Brian May, Eric Johnson all started from never picking the instrument up to being rock gods!

As far as learning is concerned I would buy the Rockschool Grade 1 through 8 books (start off at 1) and just practice reading tab and music using the songs in there, it also gets you playing songs all the way through over a backing track which gets your rythem skills going.

When learning songs, just take a few bars at a time and play it a really slow tempo (about 70 beats per minute) untill you memorise that section and then play it at full speed.

Just need to perceiver, and have patience its not an over night thing, it will take time (for me its been a year and a half to get to Grade 5).

Some easy songs to start off are Black Sabbaths Paranoid or Smoke on the Water.

Good Luck =)
gingle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
good luck for you !
tkhaz44
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This guy got kept me interested with some new stuff when i was learning, he's got loads of vids, seemed pretty good & helpful to me:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe

http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoeSongs

btw, it does take practice and you will need to keep persevering with it, you may get sore fingers at first also!
Eclectic Styles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheCount.)
What methods are most effective to self teach guitar?
Books? Video's? or is a teacher the only effective means?
Also, how long would It take to become quite fluent?
Years?
(this post is based on Acoustic-- start with Acoustic, never Electric unless you are sure you want to learn how to play guitar and you are going to keep on doing it.)

The most effective way to learn how to play the guitar is through playing it.

It's obvious but it'll teach you more than a book or a video could ever do. The only thing on the same level as learing purely by playing and listening by ear to the sounds you are producing is a tutor who can pull you up on when and where you're going wrong and what you can to do to improve and get back on track.

I've used books and booklets and vids but it truely is through playing the guitar and getting a feel for it and just constatly, constantly, CONSTANLY playing that you will get anywhere near passable. Don't even think you will be competent until you get to the point where you do become competent without even thinking it.

Generally, it'll take a few days of playing to get an understand of how to hold your guitar in a way that suits you best. From that, it'll take about just under a week to understand how to properly strum and then about another week's worth to understand how to put pressure down on the frets. Your fingers will hurt (yes, hurt, not sting) during this perod. They will hurt and this is a good this. This hurt is your fingertips developing callouses which will enable you strum for longer, with more power and faster than you would have been able to previously

After this, it'll take a few weeks before you are able to strum out some simple chords in order. Usually, these will be Major chords, following Cs and Ds, sometimes even As and Es and then most people learn to do Gs fairly quickly to-- and let's not leave out Bs, of course! :wink2: During this time, you'll notice that your fingers will have mind of their own, becoming more flexible in your left hand (if frets-- reverse roles to suit) and your right hand will become more finely tuned to the level where you can noticeably strum and pick better than before.

Ah, that's also worth mentioning. During the next couple of months or so, you should be learning how to pick as well as strum. You should to play appaggio (misspelt, someone correct me, please?) and strum upside with your fingers but you'll find you'll do it like you were picking the strings in reverse but with your backs of your fingertips rather than the front. It's weird way of playing the guitar at first but it becomes natural fairly quickly.

Apart from that, I can't say any more because the experience can wildly differ, but those are usually the first few months of a general guy's/girl's attempt to self-learn the guitar. It may differ for some but for most, the timeline will be roughly the same as that. Oh, and don't worry, your body will develop a natural sense of rhythm and you may find that when you listen to guitar again, you are able to understand it much better and then music in general. It's all part of being able to play an instrument, heh heh.
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Eclectic Styles)
(this post is based on Acoustic-- start with Acoustic, never Electric unless you are sure you want to learn how to play guitar and you are going to keep on doing it.)
Why is that? I have a guitarist friend who was once trying to teach me to play, and he said that the sentiment that you should start with an acoustic before doing electric is rubbish, because from his perspective it made no difference whether he taught me on acoustic or electric, he'd be showing me the same things.
James4d
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
www.ultimate-guitar.com is the best site for tabs. Start learning the chords to some pop songs to start of with (James Blunt, Keane) as they are the easiest to play, then you can move onto jazz, rock, metal, indie w/e route interests you.

Learn songs from your favourite artists as they're most rewarding to play.

And play guitar as much as possible. Eventually you'll become so used to it will seem as natural as breathing. Your fingers will hurt to start with, but eventually they'll 'roughen up'.

And don't be the person at a party who picks up a guitar, plays a few chord, and thinks that they deserve credit (or a pull). Keep it a hidden talent, and wow people when you're amazing

Good luck
Eclectic Styles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
Why is that? I have a guitarist friend who was once trying to teach me to play, and he said that the sentiment that you should start with an acoustic before doing electric is rubbish, because from his perspective it made no difference whether he taught me on acoustic or electric, he'd be showing me the same things.
Simple answer: money.

Slightly less simple answer: it depends on how much money do you have to spend on starter gear and whether or not you are looking to learn the guitar in a certain playing style or just in general.

From a technical standpoint, I have no idea how long your friend's been playing for. I assume several years, at least? I would count myself only as a beginner, in all honesty, but when I was looking at the gear for an electric, it's generally more expensive to start off with an electric because you have to take into consideration the guitar and the amp, whereas you only have take into consideration the guitar itself with acoustic-- and for complete novices, that's really what you'd be looking to do.

It sounds like your friend was just showing you stuff and trying to help you get into it. Best thing is to take his view on it really because you're naturally going to do it, anyway. :wink2: Different people learn in different ways but it's usually acoustic first, if not for sound or style then purely for financial reasons.
Eclectic Styles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by James4d)
www.ultimate-guitar.com is the best site for tabs. Start learning the chords to some pop songs to start of with (James Blunt, Keane) as they are the easiest to play, then you can move onto jazz, rock, metal, indie w/e route interests you.

Learn songs from your favourite artists as they're most rewarding to play.

And play guitar as much as possible. Eventually you'll become so used to it will seem as natural as breathing. Your fingers will hurt to start with, but eventually they'll 'roughen up'.

And don't be the person at a party who picks up a guitar, plays a few chord, and thinks that they deserve credit (or a pull). Keep it a hidden talent, and wow people when you're amazing

Good luck
This is wisdom, OP. Pure wisdom. :yep:
wm172
Report 8 years ago
I'd say buy a learn to play... book and learn the basic chords (open position and bar) PERFECTLY (you will thank me if you do this) then start learning songs using sites like ultimate guitar - however be wary of the forums, a lot of people on there talk out of there ass!

I'd say in a year you can be at a decent standard if you practise well, and lots!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.65%
No (667)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.66%

Watched Threads