Turn on thread page Beta

How long did you wait to sleep with your partner? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in this situation atm. I'm 17, he's 18. I'm a virgin, he's relatively experienced. Been dating less than a week, and known each other since March.
    He's going to uni almost certainly in September :/ Its like 40 minutes drive away.

Don't know whether to wait until he's gone to uni to see whether our relationship is going to work. Uni is full of temptation! :o:

PS, I did use the search function and found like 1 thread on this..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex_1_2_1)
    I'm in this situation atm. I'm 17, he's 18. I'm a virgin, he's relatively experienced. Been dating less than a week, and known each other since March.
    He's going to uni almost certainly in September :/ Its like 40 minutes drive away.

Don't know whether to wait until he's gone to uni to see whether our relationship is going to work. Uni is full of temptation! :o:

Dont do it now just because hes going to uni. Youve been together less than a week! some people obviously sleep together then but usually theyre experienced and its not for such a flimsy reason.

How bad will you feel if you have sex after being together say a few weeks and he does meet someone at uni whether one night stand or not? its just one of those things that can happen in a new environment with so many people especially with such a new relationship.

Are you even ready? other than hes going to uni would this even be on the cards? you havent even known him for 6 months and only been together days...

Basically I just say no when its your first time in this situation. Even if you 'kinda' feel ready you cant take it back once youve done it and why take the risk of regret? in such a new couple that wont even be long distance when he goes to uni :no:.

ReputationRep:
    Yes please don't sleep with him before uni, like you said theres going to be temptations!
    40 mins is really not that far, my boyfriend was 1 1/2 hours away & it worked.
    So wait to see if it works :].

ReputationRep:
    I waited about 4 months. Not that long, but knew we were going to last and now we've been together for 4.5 years!

ReputationRep:
    Don't let him going away to uni be even part of the reason for sleeping with him. Wait until you're ready and if the relationship will work out, first .

ReputationRep:
    " If I don't **** the first night then I ain't gonna call her "

ReputationRep:
    4 dates I think, seems long enough.

ReputationRep:
    When it felt right. It was about a week after we officially started going out, but we declared our feelings for each other beforehand and just had to meet up to confirm it really, so yeah, a few weeks.

I think all this stuff about how long you should wait etc is ******** really. Its different for anyone. I do not regret it in the slightest. We've been going out 4 months now and I can't really imagine having not slept with him until now.

Everyone is different. You might be prepared for it, you might not, I think you will know. I certainly knew it was the right decision.

ReputationRep:
    'Try before you buy'

ReputationRep:
    I waited 2 years after falling in love with my man to tell him my feelings, then after we got together we waiting a good 7 months until we finally did it.

Sex is way better in a stable loving partnership, so my advice is wait until you really know this guy (or another) - don't rush it.

ReputationRep:
    About two weeks for me, but I thought that was a long wait! However, I do agree with the reasons above, don't sleep with him just because he's gonig away - you'll still see him often and there'll be plenty of chances I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    26s.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you should do it when it feels right. And it doesn't seem like you're comfortable at the moment, so I'd say wait.

18 year old guys who are "relatively experienced" are not usually looking to settle down just yet. So one thing you should not do is sleep with him to get him to stay with you. It won't work anyway and you'll just feel foolish afterwards. There are lots of good guys out there, and you'll probably enjoy the temptations of uni yourself when you get there.

Looks like I'm the first boy to attempt a serious answer to this question.

Best friends for a year and a half, then started dating/sleeping together for about 2 months then made it official.

ReputationRep:
    around 3 months, neither of us had any experience though. I think we did sort of manage to discuss it before had but I doubt we set a time and date if you get me. You'll know when it feels right, and if you're confused see how he feels...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex_1_2_1)

maam dont do it beofre marriage.
    fornication is a sin.

ReputationRep:
    I want to wait until I'm married, and my boyfriend who I have been with for 18 months completely respects that. Do it whenever you feel ready and comfortable, don't rush into anything.

ReputationRep:
    I just fail to understand why so many people act like sex is some kind of a prize and insist on waiting for months (let alone until they're married - now this I won't ever get).

ReputationRep:
    Wait till you are married.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FieldLeftBlank)
    I just fail to understand why so many people act like sex is some kind of a prize and insist on waiting for months (let alone until they're married - now this I won't ever get).
    Well, there's some kind of healthy middle ground. The OP certainly doesn't sound like she's ready.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2010
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.