Turn on thread page Beta

I've had a cough for around 3 months now. Sometimes it feels like I'm choking on my own breath and in general it's really tickly. I've had a few random nose bleeds and I never usually get them. My voice also goes husky at times. Anyone ever had this? I feel stupid going to the doctors just for a cough, especially as I can only get to a walk in centre!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I used to be like this, and it would be a constant cough. Even something as small as a laugh would turn into a coughing fit at times. But, I suggest you do go to the doctor. Also, garlic is supposedly very helpful for coughs - grinded, boiled in water, and honey. That's usually if you're coughing up mucus however.

ReputationRep:
    Sign of cancer :nutcase:

(Original post by Wesssty)
    Sign of cancer :nutcase:
    My mum died of cancer after having a constant cough so that's part of why I don't want to go to the doctors about it actually.

ReputationRep:
    Do you smoke? Or have you recently stopped smoking?

Nope I don't smoke. I don't cough anything up but it's still really irritating.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Any cough that lasts longer than two weeks = see your doctor. It's most probably caused by something like undiagnosed asthma / allergy given the time of year, especially if you find the cough is worse at night and first thing in the morning. It is very unlikely that it is something serious to worry about.

Oh, and your doctor won't think you are stupid for going to see them about a cough.

2nd Edit! Nosebleeds are also a sign of an allergic reaction, which can exarcebate a previous asthmatic condition. Seriously, I would bet money you have undiagnosed mild asthma with hayfever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My mum died of cancer after having a constant cough so that's part of why I don't want to go to the doctors about it actually.
    Don't be stupid, go to the doctor.

ReputationRep:
    If you still aren't persuaded to see a doctor, take some anti histamines (piriton or equivalent - get the strong stuff if possible) and see if the cough improves. It's pretty rare for a cough to be the only sign of an allergic reaction however.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2010
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.