Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    John McCain was attempting comedy, but his little jingle may repeat itself as tragedy.

Republican hawks in the US House of Representatives have introduced a bill to support (encourage?) Israeli military action against Iran.

House Resolution 1553 expresses:

"support for the State of Israel’s right to defend Israeli sovereignty, to protect the lives and safety of the Israeli people, and to use all means necessary to confront and eliminate nuclear threats posed by the Islamic Republic of Iran, including the use of military force if no other peaceful solution can be found within reasonable time."

Too early to say whether this will pass, or whether it will have any effect on policy or perceptions, but the National Iranian American Council is marking the event as a significant event in the propaganda war.

"This week may be looked back on as the pivotal moment when war with Iran entered the mainstream of political thought in the Obama era."

Juan Cole sees echoes of neocon tactics past, and very bad things ahead.
    http://blogs.aljazeera.net/americas/...oes-mainstream

With a new set of sanctions imposed by the EU today and the warmongersRepublicans wishing to turn it into a giant crater, things aren't looking promising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)

With a new set of sanctions imposed by the EU today and the warmongersRepublicans wishing to turn it into a giant crater, things aren't looking promising.
    Republicans have lost their way. They used to end wars and clean up the Dems nationbuilding activities. They were opposed to Woodrow Wilson's internationalism. George Bush ran on a humble foreign policy in 2000..

The ****

ReputationRep:

Depending on the reader :sigh:

I really can't see how anyone expected anything else, Iran is doing nothing to avoid this and both Israel and certain fractions within the US are pushing for this to happen.

WWIII me thinks, "terrorist groups" within Lebanon/Palestine will take advantage of this situation if this turns into a full out war. If it's just an Air-strike then expect Iran to do similar.

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure what difference this makes.

Israel will bomb Iran regardless of whether the USA approves or not.

ReputationRep:
    bombing iran would be a good thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    I am not sure what difference this makes.

Israel will bomb Iran regardless of whether the USA approves or not.

Official support means that Israel can get more money if Iran retaliates and blows up parts of the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)
    bombing iran would be a good thing
    Yeah, of course destablising the Middle East would be a great idea. Not to mention attacking a nuclear power. Let's just ignore the obvious human rights implications and the complete immorality of it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Official support means that Israel can get more money if Iran retaliates and blows up parts of the country.
    Like what? Can Congress appropriate money? I thought that was only in the power of the White House.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this even a big deal and moreover, what the hell is wrong with people saying this is WWIII like its an inevitability or that "things aren't looking promising"? :rolleyes:

Its a bill that HAS been bought up in the House of Representatives, it won't (and I'll bet my house on this!) get the necessary support required to be voted through any chamber - just b/c some bored Republicans (Gubernationals anyone?) have introduced some crackpot bill, doesn't mean jack frankly and its ridiculous to assume it as anything other than pandering nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    This has catastrophy written all over it purely because there are far too many Iranian nuclear facilities, many of which are buried deep underground. This is not Operation Opera, whereby, there was only 1 Iraqi nuclear facility to destroy and barely any resistance, this'll be Operation 'millions of innocent civilians are going to die - on both sides'. Perhaps not quite World War III, however, if Iran is struck it will fight back - something I'm not quite sure many people envisage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevendaughters)
    Yeah, of course destablising the Middle East would be a great idea. Not to mention attacking a nuclear power. Let's just ignore the obvious human rights implications and the complete immorality of it all.
    sounds brilliant, back to the good old days when there were no stupid human rights

destablise the enemy - perfect

attack nuclear power - the earlier the better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    Why is this even a big deal and moreover, what the hell is wrong with people saying this is WWIII like its an inevitability or that "things aren't looking promising"? :rolleyes:

Its a bill that HAS been bought up in the House of Representatives, it won't (and I'll bet my house on this!) get the necessary support required to be voted through any chamber - just b/c some bored Republicans (Gubernationals anyone?) have introduced some crackpot bill, doesn't mean jack frankly and its ridiculous to assume it as anything other than pandering nonsense.
    I'm sure it won't, however, that doesn't stop our friends in Israel from doing it - or at least, attemtping to do it - themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Imposing more sanctions would probably draw closer the day Iran nukes Israel

ReputationRep:
    This has catastrophy written all over it purely because there are far too many Iranian nuclear facilities, many of which are buried deep underground. This is not Operation Opera, whereby, there was only 1 Iraqi nuclear facility to destroy and barely any resistance, this'll be Operation 'millions of innocent civilians are going to die - on both sides'. Perhaps not quite World War III, however, if Iran is struck it will fight back - something I'm not quite sure many people envisage.
    I wonder if the US/Israel would bother invading and occupying Iran? :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanz_a93)
    Imposing more sanctions would probably draw closer the day Iran nukes Israel
    Fortunately I'm not masochistic enough to be hoping for those who are to be destroyed by a nuke while criticising themselves.

ReputationRep:
    An Israeli airstrike is probably the best way to deal with the Iranian nuclear problem, imo.

ReputationRep:
    What's new? :nothing:

RIGHT-WING AMERICANS BELIEVE MILITARY ACTION SHOULD BE TAKEN AGAINST IRAN! STOP THE PRESS!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    So?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    An Israeli airstrike is probably the best way to deal with the Iranian nuclear problem, imo.
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    I wonder if the US/Israel would bother invading and occupying Iran? :hmmmm:
    The Israelis cannot invade Iran as they simply do not have the wherewithal to master such a daring operation. I don't think the US has the money to invade, occupy and rebuild Iran and there's no way Obama will risk his presidency on another phoney war. Having said that, I don't think the Russians let alone the Chinese will take kindly to this.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.