Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Asking out of interest. What I mean could also be read as "Which university course is the hardest to convey your interest for?"

Personally I'd say something like Dentistry (or Optometry). What are you even supposed to write about?! I mean you can't possibly talk at length about your interest in teeth now can you? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Personally I'd say something like Dentistry (or Optometry). What are you even supposed to write about?! I mean you can't possibly talk at length about your interest in teeth now can you? :eek3:
    You can if you're really interested in it.

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm I would say subjects that require vocational training, at least with special regards to Veterinary, Dentistry and medicine, are probably quite difficult to write. I would think Law isn't that easy to write either.

But its all relative. It depends how much experience (work/life etc) or additions you have to put in the PS.

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    Accounting, adult nursing, chemical engineering, zoology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    You can if you're really interested in it.
    How much can you say about your interest in eyes? It would just start to sound really messed up after a while lol.

I'll have a read of some Optometry PSes now to satisfy my curiosity :P

ReputationRep:
    I think any subject should be easy to write about if you're interested in it enough to want to study it at uni. I know I couldn't shut up when I wrote mine :p:

I think the hardest are when you've applied to different courses.

ReputationRep:
    Film Studies, you have to lie about you wanting to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Focus08)
    Accounting, adult nursing, chemical engineering, zoology
    Accounting I'd DEFINITELY agree with.

However, personally I'm having a fairly easy time writing my Chemical Engineering PS. There's lots to talk about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roginho)
    Mathematics.
    Oh, maths is easy: I love maths, look at these obscure theories I've found in a book written by some guy who bought all his clothes in the sixties so the rest of his life could be spent writing this book, do you reckon they can relate to the real world is this very abstract path? ... and you're done. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    one you dont really want to study... lol x

Neuroscience

ReputationRep:
    How much can you say about your interest in eyes? It would just start to sound really messed up after a while lol.

I'll have a read of some Optometry PSes now to satisfy my curiosity :P
    Suppose that depends how interested you are in them. Bear in mind, you're not solely talking about how fascinating eyes are - you're also discussing the health of them and why you want to be involved in their care (get some 'vision is the most important sense, aging population' stuff in there.) Because of the nature of the course, chances are you have some work experience to talk about as well.

Don't read the optometry PS on here - it's dreadful.

ReputationRep:
    Furniture Studies.... i can understand product design mabye but this is too darn weird.

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun....run?n=1021429

ReputationRep:
    Leathercraft?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Oh, maths is easy: I love maths, look at these obscure theories I've found in a book written by some guy who bought all his clothes in the sixties so the rest of his life could be spent writing this book, do you reckon they can relate to the real world is this very abstract path? ... and you're done. :yep:
    Yeah with academic subjects you can talk about literature and with vocational subjects you can talk about work experience so it works out quite well.

By the way, there's only one PS on Optometry on this website and it contains NOTHING referring to Optometry itself except for "I know that I want to be an optometrist, and have the skills to do so". :eek: I mean, seriously, people can't possibly think they'll be considered favourable for doing a specific subject when they barely mention it in their PS?!

Would you mind telling me a few things you said in your PS? I'm really quite curious.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say if you were applying for a joint course, with two really different subjects in it, eg Biology and French, English and Economics...

It would be hard to be really enthusiastic about two very different subjects in a small space. After that, I'd say I'd really struggle to write about dentistry, computer science, theology, law...

ReputationRep:
    A combined course such as PPE at Oxford. It's hard to convey a suffiecient depth of interest for 3 different subjects within the word limit. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    any of the top vocational ones....

so medicine, law, vet med, dentistry....

ReputationRep:
    By the way, there's only one PS on Optometry on this website and it contains NOTHING referring to Optometry itself except for "I know that I want to be an optometrist, and have the skills to do so". :eek:

Would you mind telling me a few things you said in your PS? I'm really quite curious.
    I know, it's awful. Would be curious to know if they actually got offers from it; as a glasses wearer, I'd like to think not.

Sorry, I actually can't because I originally applied for maths and so have a maths PS (for which I essentially followed the outline above ); if I was going to write an optometry PS*, I would use something like this: why I want to study optometry - wear glasses myself, eyes are an elegant organ, sight is important, population ages therefore optometrists are essential; how what I was studying related to optometry and the skills needed for an optometrist; elaborate on any work experience and what I learnt from it, as well as reading (for example, material from the College of Optometrists' library); perhaps something I find particularly interesting about optometry, like 'perfect' lenses; and finish with why they should bother training me to become an optometrist.

* I've actually often considered, when I'm very bored, writing an optometry PS as if I was still applying for uni (and yes, I do get that bored :p:) - reckon I should?

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.