The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Quite a lot I think. I would certainly write more about less, if that makes sense. Although hindsight is always 20/20, so, who knows :moon:
Reply 2
Dann
Quite a lot I think. I would certainly write more about less, if that makes sense. Although hindsight is always 20/20, so, who knows :moon:

So hindsight's American and of acceptable standard? (Just one of the new things I could include. :wink:)
Reply 3
TheSownRose
So hindsight's American and of acceptable standard? (Just one of the new things I could include. :wink:)

Exactly! :p:
I'd have spent a lot more time writing it and will over the course of the week (reapplying). :smile:
Back then:

Oh hai,

<insert copy and paste from PS handed out by school, but add in 'engineering'>

kthnx

Now:

Oh hai,

No one actually gives a **** about this in an uncompetitive course so I'll just paste pictures of naked ladies here instead of boring you by writing out the same drivel.

kthnx
Reply 6
I could have been less pompous :p:
Mine was so crap.

'I've been interested in Psychology for a really long time...'

This was ages ago though, I get the impression personal statements actually matter now whereas before it was just to check if you were a retard.
Well I applied to uni on 3 different occassions (and got places/interviews each year) and my 1st PS was a killer - reading it back now it had everything - it was completely 'by the book' but I didn't even really want to study that particular subject. My second (for a different subject) was quite pathetic tbh, in hindsight it was crap. My 3rd was the best & the most honest/real - it wasn't how school/college tell you to do it, it was just me being honest and clear.
I'd keep the same and use it again.
Reply 10
TheSownRose
Just play along for a bit. :p:

If you had to write a new personal statement to progress to the second year (or third, or to actually be allowed to graduate), how differently would you write it now compared to how you wrote it when applying to uni?

That would be gay if that was what happened in real life.

Allow writing a personal statement ever again
Well aside from obviously writing a more informed PS, I don't think I'd have the balls to quote lyrics from Rogers and Hammerstein musicals again. One of the things in life which I wonder how I got away with :p:
Definitely put my 1st on it.
It got me offers from everywhere I applied, so I wouldn't do it differently...

Latest

Trending

Trending