Mature student at 23, aagghhrr!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Gigi
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Guys, I really need your help!!

Been working non stop since 16, in sales, advertising and marketing but really need to get out of the rut of a desk job *yawn*, applying to uni is the only way forward to stand out in a career.

How can I start off my personal statement or enclose a paragraph that represents all this?

Last Sept I started a HNC in business at a local college, PT whilst I still worked but unfortunately a surprise pregnancy which resulted in a miscarriage, it meant emotional distress and therefore I missed so much that it was impossible to catch up. How can I tell applications staff this without them thinking I'm looking for sympathy??

With enough life experience to start my own chat show, help me stand out as a mature student!!

Thanks
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gigi)

Been working non stop since 16, in sales, advertising and marketing but really need to get out of the rut of a desk job *yawn*, applying to uni is the only way forward to stand out in a career.
How can I start off my personal statement or enclose a paragraph that represents all this?
Last Sept I started a HNC in business at a local college, PT whilst I still worked but unfortunately a surprise pregnancy which resulted in a miscarriage, it meant emotional distress and therefore I missed so much that it was impossible to catch up. How can I tell applications staff this without them thinking I'm looking for sympathy??
With enough life experience to start my own chat show, help me stand out as a mature student!!
Thanks
How about starting like this:
"For the past couple years, the decision I made at sixteen years old to go into the world of work, has left me unsatisified and unfufilled. I have the opportunity to rectify my former decisions, by returning to education. In attempt to prepare myself for my prospective studies, I embarked on a HNC business course at my local college......"
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Most universities won't regonise an HNC (Only HNDs) however when your 21 you're classed a mature student and entry qualifcations are usualy less. If you can get your personal statement good enough then you have a good chance of getting in. You need to some how let them know that you want to the course so much and that you will be capable of doing it.

Where do you want to study by the way?
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
How about starting like this:
"For the past couple years, the decision I made at sixteen years old to go into the world of work, has left me unsatisified and unfufilled. I have the opportunity to rectify my former decisions, by returning to education. In attempt to prepare myself for my prospective studies, I embarked on a HNC business course at my local college......"
Oh...i like that...i like that a lot!!!

G
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
Oh...i like that...i like that a lot!!!

G

Well was only a two minute knock-up job! Hehe. But thanks!
Gigi
I want to study public relations probably in Leeds x
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Well was only a two minute knock-up job! Hehe. But thanks!
2 minutes!!!! That deserves some rep methinks...

G
Gigi
aliel, that's a great start, really appreciate it. Not long til deadline so here goes. . . !
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gzftan)
2 minutes!!!! That deserves some rep methinks...

G

GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Most universities won't regonise an HNC (Only HNDs) however when your 21 you're classed a mature student and entry qualifcations are usualy less. If you can get your personal statement good enough then you have a good chance of getting in. You need to some how let them know that you want to the course so much and that you will be capable of doing it.

Where do you want to study by the way?
HND's, how much do Uni's recognize them? I'm doing one in Public service. Apparently is worth 2 gcses. But is it really worth it? I know it can't harm the application.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
HND's, how much do Uni's recognize them? I'm doing one in Public service. Apparently is worth 2 gcses. But is it really worth it? I know it can't harm the application.
HND is worth more than A levles as its a higher education qualification. A good HND is worh just much as good A levels. If you have an HND you shouldn't have a problem getting into most universities. Its a respected qualification.
Gigi
I already have an NVQ level 3 in business, does this provide me with some credit?
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gigi)
I already have an NVQ level 3 in business, does this provide me with some credit?
yes, anything you think of provides you with credit. Just stick down any qualification you can
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gigi)
Not really it won't do any harm but if you were under 21 and applied they would just laugh at it. However as you are a mature student they will probably take it into consideration. I think the main that will get you a place in a university is your attitude rather than your formal qualifcations.

You seem like you are polite and have decent grammar and spelling skills so I am sure you will highly regarded as a mature student. A lot of universities like mature students as they tend to be harder working than one mature ones. I think you do need to some how proove that you are interested in your subject area though.
Gigi
Would I prove my interst of my chosen course by providing evidence in my current role (which is advertising), that would back up the modules with my work experience?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gigi)
Would I prove my interst of my chosen course by providing evidence in my current role (which is advertising), that would back up the modules with my work experience?
Yeah personaly I think you have a good chance. There are people on my course with NQVs and stuff but they have been working in computing which is how they got in.

I think what universities don't want is cleaners applying for medicine on the basis that they think they can do it.

Good luck with your applications.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think what universities don't want is cleaners applying for medicine on the basis that they think they can do it.
There are so many mature students applying for limited places on competitive courses such as medicine and law, so I don't think the unis need worry about cleaners applying. Unless the cleaner is a sufficiently qualified individual who's been watching a bit too much ER of course...
101mphfastball
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
HND is worth more than A levles as its a higher education qualification. A good HND is worh just much as good A levels. If you have an HND you shouldn't have a problem getting into most universities. Its a respected qualification.
Very few Colleges do HND's anymore, few except them, you may even study units above degree level on the HND if you go to a good school, but most Colleges wont rate your HND worth a dime, although I'm thinking sport science other subjects maybe/ are perhaps different.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
There are so many mature students applying for limited places on competitive courses such as medicine and law, so I don't think the unis need worry about cleaners applying. Unless the cleaner is a sufficiently qualified individual who's been watching a bit too much ER of course...
Lol I was kind of being sarcastic, and you would probably be surprised just how bad some applicants are (not that they get any offers).
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gigi)

Thanks
I have been working in field sales for the last couple of years and feel as though I can understand you as I am 23 too!

I am in the same boat and am in the middle of doing two a-levels in one year. I have applied and have a decent offer (B,C) to do Law with Politics at Hull next year.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
50%
Yes- I don't like it (0)
0%
No- I want it (2)
50%
No- I don't want it (0)
0%

Watched Threads