Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing anything at the moment?

My advice is to do something part time at college before your course starts in September even if its just something without a qualification eg. some sort of foreign language study, or a computer course. You will then be able to tell them if you get an interview that you are doing something and demonstrate your desire to get back into education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    There are so many mature students applying for limited places on competitive courses such as medicine and law, so I don't think the unis need worry about cleaners applying. Unless the cleaner is a sufficiently qualified individual who's been watching a bit too much ER of course...
    Don't forget that not all mature students have been out of education. I am starting a Human Bio degree in Sept following a few years out since A-levels. Once graduated, I will be applying to Medical School as a mature student, but I will be just out of univerisity. So not all mature students lack formal qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    A lot do college courses before they go to uni. My dad did an access to higher education course and a few GCSEs in a year and then got into uni pretty easily on a computing course. I think it was because although he hadnt studied for years he had relevant work and life experience to prove that he could cope with the course. The fact that he was a qualified nurse which therefore proved he was up to studying didnt do him any harm.

It really depends where you want to study as to what places will accept as acceptable. my mum wanted to do some sort of degree course on the open university (cant remember what course) obviously she hasnt studied for years but she is also a registered nurse. They would only allow her nursing qualification to be the equivalent of one or two A Levels which is ridiculous seeing as it is a recognised degree course now and part of her job was to do assessment on trainee nurses in their work experience. They wanted her to do a foundation course before she could start a degree course so she decided not to bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Are you doing anything at the moment?

My advice is to do something part time at college before your course starts in September even if its just something without a qualification eg. some sort of foreign language study, or a computer course. You will then be able to tell them if you get an interview that you are doing something and demonstrate your desire to get back into education.
    No, I'm not doing any study at the moment. After my miscarriage, going back to work was an achievement on it's own. It's now been two months after a lot of emotional trauma and bereavement that I know, as a challenge to myself, studying PT and working is not the way forward. If I'm going to get my life back on track I'm doing it whole hog! It's a sacrifice giving up what I know but I feel it's the only way forward. And the right one.

ReputationRep:
    Have you done qualifications of any sort apart from the HNC since GCSE?

What sort of grades did you get for your GCSEs?

Have you contacted any unis to enquire about the likelihood of them accepting you onto their course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    How about starting like this:
    "For the past couple years, the decision I made at sixteen years old to go into the world of work, has left me unsatisified and unfufilled. I have the opportunity to rectify my former decisions, by returning to education. In attempt to prepare myself for my prospective studies, I embarked on a HNC business course at my local college......"
    Someone gave me BAD rep for this post above

ReputationRep:
    You're kidding that sucks!

Did they give a reason?

ReputationRep:
    You're kidding that sucks!

Did they give a reason?

Nope Well it's life.

ReputationRep:
    This person who gave you bad rep, were they powerful? How many points did they take away? Was the rep gem grey or red?

As for Gigi, bravo. I admire your decision to improve your career. I know so many people who get one job and stick with it for years and years - too scared to do anything else. Anyway, my advice to you is to mention your miscarriage... the admissions officer should understand how emotionally distressing it can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    This person who gave you bad rep, were they powerful? How many points did they take away? Was the rep gem grey or red?

As for Gigi, bravo. I admire your decision to improve your career. I know so many people who get one job and stick with it for years and years - too scared to do anything else. Anyway, my advice to you is to mention your miscarriage... the admissions officer should understand how emotionally distressing it can be.

It was grey, i assumed it meant BAD rep...cos my other rep is green.

ReputationRep:
    I think it goes:

Green Gem - more points
    Grey Gem - member is a newbie and it doesn't affect your score
    Red Gem - Less points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_guy)
    I think it goes:

Green Gem - more points
    Grey Gem - member is a newbie and it doesn't affect your score
    Red Gem - Less points
    Why don't they let us see who gives us good/bad rep....i'd really like to know who appreciates/ hates my comments...

G

ReputationRep:
    Have you done qualifications of any sort apart from the HNC since GCSE?

What sort of grades did you get for your GCSEs?

Have you contacted any unis to enquire about the likelihood of them accepting you onto their course?
    I've not contacted them no. My GCSE's were mostly C's. Since then I've completed NVQ 3 in Business (apparently laughable). :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Well the first thing I'd do is email the unis or phone them tomorrow that you want to apply to and check whether they will take you. If they wont there is no point applying its a waste of a choice. It will also give you a chance to get to speak to the departments directly to let them know that you are serious.

You said you were interested in going to Leeds if so I suggest you read this
    http://www.leeds.ac.uk/students/mature_students.htm
    In particular this section seems to state that you will need to contact the uni prior to sending off your ucas form
    The level of competition for places on our degree programme varies and you are strongly advised to talk to admissions tutors for the courses which interest you before you complete your UCAS application form.

Many of our mature students follow a full- or part-time validated Access (link to foundation year section) course prior to entry to the University. The Access and Information Office can provide a list of Access courses offered in the city or region. For mature students who do not meet standard entry requirements, the University also offers a mature entry scheme. This is only available to those applicants with a conditional offer from the University or one of its colleges. The scheme usually involves an interview, the setting of a special paper, exam or project by the department making the conditional offer. It also offers GCSE Mathematics and English equivalence if appropriate. As this scheme is currently under review, intending applicants should contact the Access and Information Office for further advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gigi)
    Guys, I really need your help!!

Been working non stop since 16, in sales, advertising and marketing but really need to get out of the rut of a desk job *yawn*, applying to uni is the only way forward to stand out in a career.

How can I start off my personal statement or enclose a paragraph that represents all this?

Last Sept I started a HNC in business at a local college, PT whilst I still worked but unfortunately a surprise pregnancy which resulted in a miscarriage, it meant emotional distress and therefore I missed so much that it was impossible to catch up. How can I tell applications staff this without them thinking I'm looking for sympathy??

With enough life experience to start my own chat show, help me stand out as a mature student!!

Thanks

You can't attend university over 21 years of age. They only accept 18-21 year old people i'm afraid. It shouldn't be but it is unfortunately, it is a stupid rule but that the way it is. They have to have some cut of range I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OXBRIDGE KILLER)
    You can't attend university over 21 years of age. They only accept 18-21 year old people i'm afraid.

Not funny. And offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Not funny. And offensive.
    What? It is 21? I thought? Or...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gigi)
    I've not contacted them no. My GCSE's were mostly C's. Since then I've completed NVQ 3 in Business (apparently laughable). :confused:
    Aww sorry I didn't mean it like that, I wored that badly I'm so sorry. What I meant was that the universities wouldn't appcept it if you were under 21 but because you have experience and have an HNC they will take into account.

I'm sorry if I worded it badly.

ReputationRep:
    What a load of crap, that'll be why my dad went to uni for the first time at the age of 46. All unis accept mature students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gigi)
    I think that what ever you do to contact the unis, phone/email/in person/letter make sure that you are well prepared. maybe even practice with someone first.

But i'm almost certain that if the admissions tutor likes you, you get on well with them and you show that you have good knowledge on your subject then there is a very large possibilty that you will get a place.

You seem like a nice guy, stay strong and determined you will get there, and when you are you will Love it, my friend

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.