Turn on thread page Beta

For A2 Politics 'Intro to Political Ideologies' do you need to know what... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    do you need to know what ideology actually is? because i mean all you need to know for the exam is the content etc of each individual ideology and not what the word means generally. for holiday homework i was meant to read the introduction of andre heywood's book 'political ideologies: an introduction' which is called 'introducing ideology' and i'm so so confused it's ridiculous lol
    so yeah, i wanna know if knowing how to define the word 'ideology' is really necessary and if it is, any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloeee!)
    do you need to know what ideology actually is? because i mean all you need to know for the exam is the content etc of each individual ideology and not what the word means generally. for holiday homework i was meant to read the introduction of andre heywood's book 'political ideologies: an introduction' which is called 'introducing ideology' and i'm so so confused it's ridiculous lol
    so yeah, i wanna know if knowing how to define the word 'ideology' is really necessary and if it is, any help?
    What a strange question. That is like studying Law or Maths, and saying as long as I know the rules and equations do I really need to know what law or maths is. Surely it's fait accompli that you know what an ideology is. It's just simply a political view point/ set of opinions about how society should be, how it should run etc. It might be beneficial to have a definition for the beginning of an essay: for example if you had a question "what is liberalism" you could say it is a set of political beliefs which endorse etc etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    you may well get a question like:

to what extent is anarchism a coherent ideology?

or

to what extent is nationalism/ecologism a single ideology?

so for these sorts of questions, you need to know exactly what makes an ideology.

ReputationRep:
    oh also, we got in the specimen paper:

to what extent is conservatism a ruling class ideology?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to know what an ideology is per se, but its a set of strong beliefs more or less..
    i.e. the anarchist question is whether the beliefs make sense or are completely ridiculous/illogical
    nationalism - made up of mnay different types of ideas like facism and conservatism - sort of a pick and mix ideology
    conservatism - beliefs where the ruling class are superior/beneficial than those who are not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2010

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.