Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Does anyone out there do travel writing etc? I'm trying to start off a small magazine style site, and would love to hear from anyone who would like to contribute.

no £ at the mo unfortunately, i guess it is one of those things i need lots of great content for, for it to become a good site.

if anyone is interested, drop me a message

ReputationRep:
    I have written for National Geographic Traveler, Wanderlust, The Guardian Travel section, Adventure Travel Magazine and the Discovery Channel Magazine, amongst others.

Unfortunately I can't contribute anything (I don't work for free) but would be interested in seeing the site, and am happy to offer some feedback if required.

ReputationRep:
    Thats fair enough Jez, i'd love to hear from Students like myself, possibly looking at going into Journalism and wanting a place to put their work.

Yes, a lot of unis/colleges now have online websites, but i'd love to do something not localised - where anyone can suggest an article, and we can build up a huge base of articles.

I'm not specifically targeting travel, that's just one of the areas i'm interested in looking at.

Site wise, it's very much a shell. I'm looking at the content at the moment, then will start to build the design etc ready for a full launch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1christopher)
    Thats fair enough Jez, i'd love to hear from Students like myself, possibly looking at going into Journalism and wanting a place to put their work.

Yes, a lot of unis/colleges now have online websites, but i'd love to do something not localised - where anyone can suggest an article, and we can build up a huge base of articles.

I'm not specifically targeting travel, that's just one of the areas i'm interested in looking at.

Site wise, it's very much a shell. I'm looking at the content at the moment, then will start to build the design etc ready for a full launch.

I suppose we'll find mutual language.
    Where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    If you pay for my holidays, I'll write for you!
    I can wait for you to build the funds btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)

Haha, funny that :P

ReputationRep:

May be you'll provide and sell to the stores some souvenir stuff, with the link to the web-site on souvenir surface? So you'll promote the web-site and earn on holidays.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, not long ago at TSR appeared a kind of small society to discuss travels on your own. I even may give a link. Main deal for you is self-organize yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul PTS)
    May be you'll provide and sell to the stores some souvenir stuff, with the link to the web-site on souvenir surface? So you'll promote the web-site and earn on holidays.
    Very interesting idea.

ReputationRep:
    Very interesting idea.
    I have invented how to use in a new way several modern tehnologies, and some British materials, I get at Moscow. Such a kind of know how.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jez RR)
    I have written for National Geographic Traveler, Wanderlust, The Guardian Travel section, Adventure Travel Magazine and the Discovery Channel Magazine, amongst others.

Unfortunately I can't contribute anything (I don't work for free) but would be interested in seeing the site, and am happy to offer some feedback if required.
    Can I just ask how you managed to get published - what the processes were/are, and how you got started?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Can I just ask how you managed to get published - what the processes were/are, and how you got started?
    Initially I was working as a copywriter for a travel company, and the marketing department used a PR agency to find out what themes were going to be appearing in forthcoming editions. So we'd get a call from the PR people to say 'The Independent are doing a New Zealand feature in their travel section - do you have anything about outdoor adventure we can use there to promote the company?' The editor would ask me if I could do a piece and if they wanted to use it it would then appear with links to the company such as 'Jez travelled to New Zealand with XXX travel company on their 21 day Kiwis and Maoris trip'. So nearly everything had a commercial angle to it.

Sometimes pieces were blatant advertorials - a full page advert masquerading as an article, of the kind you get in the back section of National Geographic. At other times we would have a trip we wanted to promote and would pitch a piece to various editors which would then be accepted, which had no obvious commercial link apart from the 'travelled courtesy of...' at the end. There's a hierarchy to it - some companies are so blatant that they mention the travel company name every other sentence. I always wrote pieces that I would enjoy reading myself - the advertising aspect was of secondary importance.

After a while I became an editor myself and got to know others in the business, which made it much easier to get pieces accepted that weren't commercially oriented. I'd do a piece about a trip I'd taken, then research to see who might be interested in that type of subject. If a mag has just done a feature on South east Asia 2 months ago they are not going to be interested in yet another article about it. You have to alter the piece quite a bit to make it conform to the style of the intended publication.

So essentially it comes down to writing the piece, finding an angle and then making the pitch to the editor. The pitch is very simple - just a few lines to outline your idea, and asking if they would be interested. If you are already known in the industry it's much easier, as you are usually on first-name terms with editors anyway. Email them in the first instance (you can get their email from the websites or main switchboard), perhaps with links to pieces you've already had published, or a brief mention of where you've appeared. Usually they won't reply so email again a week later. Then call them after 2 weeks and ask if they have had your email, and are they interested, because you are thinking of pitching it elsewhere. If they like the idea you then send it over. Sometimes you could send the piece on spec, especially if you are just starting out. Sometimes you wait for months, or they accept a piece but then decide they don't want it after all, in which case you might be able to negotiate a refusal rate of 50%.

Nearly all publications have a writer's guide for submissions on their website, stating their rates of pay, preferred article length and so on. These are the guidelines for Wanderlust, as an example.

So I started commercially, doing advertorials for travel companies, and through that became better placed to have pieces accepted on my own merit that I had done myself. It's still an uphill struggle though - you have to get used to rejection, especially when starting out, as editors get tons and tons of submissions. And having been sent many submissions myself when I was doing a magazine, I can honestly say that 90% don't have a hope - it might have been the best holiday ever, but yes, you really had to be there. So maybe 10% are good pieces that are worthy of being published, but out of that, only 1% finally make it into print.

ReputationRep:
    My 7-month travel blog is at www.statravelblogs.com/samndave.

Use whatever you want, I went to a wide range of places and a lot of it is pretty comic (my entries are headed Sam; my mates are Dave's, very different styles)

ReputationRep:
    I've travelled all over the world, and still love it, so would love to contribute.
    For samples of writing please see my blogs (I don't have a travel one though!):
    http://biancasbeautyblog.blogspot.com
    http://biancasbookblog.blogspot.com
    http://ferretfoodandwines.wordpress.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jez RR)
    Initially I was working as a copywriter for a travel company, and the marketing department used a PR agency to find out what themes were going to be appearing in forthcoming editions. So we'd get a call from the PR people to say 'The Independent are doing a New Zealand feature in their travel section - do you have anything about outdoor adventure we can use there to promote the company?' The editor would ask me if I could do a piece and if they wanted to use it it would then appear with links to the company such as 'Jez travelled to New Zealand with XXX travel company on their 21 day Kiwis and Maoris trip'. So nearly everything had a commercial angle to it.

Sometimes pieces were blatant advertorials - a full page advert masquerading as an article, of the kind you get in the back section of National Geographic. At other times we would have a trip we wanted to promote and would pitch a piece to various editors which would then be accepted, which had no obvious commercial link apart from the 'travelled courtesy of...' at the end. There's a hierarchy to it - some companies are so blatant that they mention the travel company name every other sentence. I always wrote pieces that I would enjoy reading myself - the advertising aspect was of secondary importance.

After a while I became an editor myself and got to know others in the business, which made it much easier to get pieces accepted that weren't commercially oriented. I'd do a piece about a trip I'd taken, then research to see who might be interested in that type of subject. If a mag has just done a feature on South east Asia 2 months ago they are not going to be interested in yet another article about it. You have to alter the piece quite a bit to make it conform to the style of the intended publication.

So essentially it comes down to writing the piece, finding an angle and then making the pitch to the editor. The pitch is very simple - just a few lines to outline your idea, and asking if they would be interested. If you are already known in the industry it's much easier, as you are usually on first-name terms with editors anyway. Email them in the first instance (you can get their email from the websites or main switchboard), perhaps with links to pieces you've already had published, or a brief mention of where you've appeared. Usually they won't reply so email again a week later. Then call them after 2 weeks and ask if they have had your email, and are they interested, because you are thinking of pitching it elsewhere. If they like the idea you then send it over. Sometimes you could send the piece on spec, especially if you are just starting out. Sometimes you wait for months, or they accept a piece but then decide they don't want it after all, in which case you might be able to negotiate a refusal rate of 50%.

Nearly all publications have a writer's guide for submissions on their website, stating their rates of pay, preferred article length and so on. These are the guidelines for Wanderlust, as an example.

So I started commercially, doing advertorials for travel companies, and through that became better placed to have pieces accepted on my own merit that I had done myself. It's still an uphill struggle though - you have to get used to rejection, especially when starting out, as editors get tons and tons of submissions. And having been sent many submissions myself when I was doing a magazine, I can honestly say that 90% don't have a hope - it might have been the best holiday ever, but yes, you really had to be there. So maybe 10% are good pieces that are worthy of being published, but out of that, only 1% finally make it into print.
    Thanks very much for all the info

I had heard it was very tricky to get published if you have no experience whatsoever of working in either publishing, editing or journalism - which is the case with me. But that Wonderlust link you provided is very useful, and I may well try to submit something there

I'd also read about how you have to tailor each piece to the particular publication, though it sounds like just common sense to do so really! What's the worst submission you ever received? (What was so bad about it, I mean.)

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Does anyone out there do travel writing etc? I'm trying to start off a small magazine style site, and would love to hear from anyone who would like to contribute.

no £ at the mo unfortunately, i guess it is one of those things i need lots of great content for, for it to become a good site.

if anyone is interested, drop me a message
    I'd be interested in contributing

Though what sort of thing are you after?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be interested in contributing

Though what sort of thing are you after?
    The sort of thing i'm after is a great read. The website won't specifically be a travel website, but a magazine, with loads of articles on there that you could quite happily while away an afternoon reading. Travel is just one of the categories i hope to set up.

They need to be written so that anyone, whether they know you or not, whether they have any background on the subject or not, can dip into the site, choose to read your article and find it interesting/enjoyable.

Its probably a tad optimistic, but it'd be great if we get enough articles on there that people start to recognise the site - pass links on to it, and hopefully use it as a way of people finding your work, and getting more opportunities.

I'm also not going to rule out the possibility of producing a print magazine featuring some of the articles from the site.

If you've got anything that fits the bill already, great! if not, no rush, but hopefully, with a bank of people who love writing about their subject and can make it enjoyable, people will start to read the site, and it will act as a platform for your work

ReputationRep:
    The sort of thing i'm after is a great read. The website won't specifically be a travel website, but a magazine, with loads of articles on there that you could quite happily while away an afternoon reading. Travel is just one of the categories i hope to set up.

They need to be written so that anyone, whether they know you or not, whether they have any background on the subject or not, can dip into the site, choose to read your article and find it interesting/enjoyable.

Its probably a tad optimistic, but it'd be great if we get enough articles on there that people start to recognise the site - pass links on to it, and hopefully use it as a way of people finding your work, and getting more opportunities.

I'm also not going to rule out the possibility of producing a print magazine featuring some of the articles from the site.

If you've got anything that fits the bill already, great! if not, no rush, but hopefully, with a bank of people who love writing about their subject and can make it enjoyable, people will start to read the site, and it will act as a platform for your work
    Well, how long do you want the pieces to be? I'm going on a road trip soon around the most beautiful/interesting parts of Southern Wales, so I could write a piece about that, or just one particular part of it. I love writing about different places around the world I've been to, and I like to think that I can write well (though obviously that would actually be up to the editor.) Never tried to get anything published before though, so actually I think doing this would be a good way to develop my work, before I try to get paid for it elsewhere.

Have you worked for other magazines before, out of interest? What's your background?

ReputationRep:
    And will the author get opportunity to stipulate his contact details in the article? So all the interested could contact with him? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well, how long do you want the pieces to be? I'm going on a road trip soon around the most beautiful/interesting parts of Southern Wales, so I could write a piece about that, or just one particular part of it. I love writing about different places around the world I've been to, and I like to think that I can write well (though obviously that would actually be up to the editor.) Never tried to get anything published before though, so actually I think doing this would be a good way to develop my work, before I try to get paid for it elsewhere.

Have you worked for other magazines before, out of interest? What's your background?
    My background is complicated! I'm 18, and a student starting a Magazine journalism course in September. For the past 2 years, my college course has been in print-based media, so i've already produced a whole magazine as my Final Major Project.

We've been extremely lucky to have some lecturers who've worked on some great magazines, one (now left but i keep in touch with) was editor of Classic Car, Practical Photography, internet magazine, Bike etc etc, and another was deputy editor at Max Power, another managed all of EMAP's fishkeeping and pets publications. These people i keep in touch with because it seems like a good idea :P

I've had a couple of articles published, and would like to build on this, but my main part-time activity is web design - i run a successful-ish web design business, so this project is combining my skills. I thought it would be a great opportunity to give my (and others) work more exposure.

The road trip idea sounds excellent!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.