Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone want to reccomend some classics for a born again bookworm? watch

ReputationRep:
    18year old male here who recently found his love for books (English was always my strong point in school along with art, but it was always non-fiction and argumentative essays which i really excelled at!)

Been reading alot of Political novels the last while, some Orwell and a bit of Darkness at noon.

Would just like some classic "must reads" as i've really not read that much, preferably thrillers and something pretty gripping...either that or some comedy!

ReputationRep:
    Guessing you've read Nineteen Eighty-Four then?

Hm, I suspect this is going to be majorly hated, but I really like the Dan Brown novels. Deception Point and Digital Fortress I personally found fantastic, they're not exactly classics but they are pretty gripping :yes:

ReputationRep:
    emmmmmm

Catch-22 I loved,

A Farewell to Arms,

Cat's Cradle,

A Portrait of An Artist as a Young Man, all those are what I'm reading now...

but if you like sf then I really really suggest Perdido Street Station. Awesome stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan-Kirby)
    Guessing you've read Nineteen Eighty-Four then?

Hm, I suspect this is going to be majorly hated, but I really like the Dan Brown novels. Deception Point and Digital Fortress I personally found fantastic, they're not exactly classics but they are pretty gripping :yes:
    Yep i've read 1984!

I've read a few of Dan Browns books too...the da vinci code and angels and deamons, they weren't as bad as people make them out to be!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FelixG)
    Yep i've read 1984!

I've read a few of Dan Browns books too...the da vinci code and angels and deamons, they weren't as bad as people make them out to be!
    Phew, you aren't one of the haters :lol:

Hm, if you've read those two, then I'd suspect you will find the two I mentioned great. Digital Fortress is particularly gripping and cleverly done.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...pf_rd_i=468294
    This'll get you settled in well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eoin0x)
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That women doesn't deserve to have a book about her.

Her ghost writer probably literally turned into a ghost after writing about such an annoying person with such a dreary life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan-Kirby)
    That women doesn't deserve to have a book about her.

Her ghost writer probably literally turned into a ghost after writing about such an annoying person with such a dreary life.
    You'll rue those words one day, when the world gets over the pseudo-classics we currently place on a pedestal. Don't you realise that there isn't anything more to life than celebrity and self-indulgence! Jheeze.

ReputationRep:
    Fallen Angels - Tracy Chevalier

ReputationRep:
    You'll rue those words one day, when the world gets over the pseudo-classics we currently place on a pedestal. Don't you realise that there isn't anything more to life than celebrity and self-indulgence! Jheeze.
    I'll rue those words the day Katie Price has an IQ over 50 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    one flew over the cuckoo's nest?

some dickens?

roald dahl's adult books?

bit more of a modern classic, Stephen Kings The Stand?

LOTR?

Master and Commander and the other Aubrey-Maturin books?

or if you like history, Band of Brothers, or Rifles?

I'm sure I'll think of more in a bit
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    To KIll a Mocking Bird
    Of Mice and Men
    The Killing Jar
    Great Expectations
    The other side of silence.

Don't particularly conform to what you asked for, but I like them.

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, as you want a gripping classic novel, you should try The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. It's a Victorian sensationalist story that's regarded as one of the first detective novels. I read it in my second term of uni and really couldn't put it down.

ReputationRep:
    Samuel Beckett's Molloy. Although it's best to buy it in the Trilogy with the successive books too.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as you have read 1984 and Darkness at Noon and enjoyed them, I shall recommend you more dystopian novels (which I'm only too glad to do because I'm in love with this genre hahaha)

The Iron Heel by Jack London - one of the more political ones
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - counterpart to 1984, not very political but definitely intriguing
    Island by Aldous Huxley - arguably better than the BNW, but less known
    Animal Farm by George Orwell - political political political
    Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut - interesting take on technology

And non-dystopian/political goodies:

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - just amazing
    The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - less amazing but brilliant ending
    The Stranger by Albert Camus - short read, seriously unsettling
    East of Eden by John Steinbeck - epic book
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck - sad sad book

Have fun reading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    but if you like sf then I really really suggest Perdido Street Station. Awesome stuff.
    Seconded. Read The Scar by the same author, it's if possible even better.

As for classics, the Count of Monte Cristo is the best I've read, and is really, really good. Dumas was paid by the word, and it occasionally shows, but most of all (and unlike many other authors of the time) he wrote to entertain his readers. And that definitely shows as well. Possibly the original conspiracy thriller.

ReputationRep:
    Margaret Atwood's the hand maid's Tale. Wouldn't call it a classic but seeing you loved 1984.
    And if you want a thriller classic then Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and Caustica mentioned it but Crime and Punishment as well. I don't really read classical thrillers but if you want to get back into I personally think the best place to start is with something of Dickens.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2010
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.