Facebook's new Moral-Panic button Watch

Dystopian91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey,

I got rid of facebook over a year ago now because I think it's the most pointless piece of **** on the planet. Anyway, it was in the news last week (not like it's ever out of the news) about Facebook devs being pressured to adopt a "Panic" button for apparently "protecting" children from bullies and other internet beings.

Bull-****.

Can anyone honestly explain the actual purpose of this button other than another excuse for the busy bodies of our society to campaign for something?

The truth is, it is the parents responsibility to protect and educate their children. To form a positive, trusting relationship with their children.

I know so many parents in modern society aren't even sensible enough to protect themselves in general - and that's why they shouldn't be having children. The issues in our society are far more subvert and so many of them can be sourced in the home, with the parents.

This media parade distracts (as usual) from the real issue - that we are a nation of inept parents and complete and utter idiots. That's why kid's are getting bullied in thier own homes and in a much broader context - why our country is societally such a disgrace.
DJkG.1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yayyy panic button!

Sounds as good as the wristbands they gave kids to say "I won't stand being bullied" lol. :rolleyes:
Jordan-Kirby
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The CEOP button?

Meh, Facebook would have to give in, given the concerns about child safety. Can't see it making all that much of a difference though :no:
ladyhoot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DJkG.1)
Yayyy panic button!

Sounds as good as the wristbands they gave kids to say "I won't stand being bullied" lol. :rolleyes:
Seriously? They might as well say 'Bully me please'. :rolleyes:
MissSasha
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
theres no point there just looking for things to moan about... why dont they fix the economic instead of worrying about a social networking website... the government need to sort out there priorities
a.posteriori
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
We should also include a "Dial the police" button so that teenagers can contact the authorities after posting a status update about being trapped in a well.

:fight:
Bax-man
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MissSasha)
theres no point there just looking for things to moan about... why dont they fix the economic instead of worrying about a social networking website... the government need to sort out there priorities
The government is entirely capable of acting in more than one policy area of any given time.

(Of course, whether they do it successfully is another matter entirely.)
Tombola
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm all for it.
Rob da Mop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was with you until the part where you said STDs... What?

But yes, a lot of parents are crap. Nothing new. Go fix it if you think you can.
wer343lit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Isn't there already some sort of "report" feature?
logical ad
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dystopian91)

The truth is, it is the parents responsibility to protect and educate their children. To form a positive, trusting relationship with their children.

I agree entirely with this statement. However, a number of parents are ignorant of the dangers of the internet. Even many teenagers who think they're 'streetwise' when it comes to the internet have no clue, and many of them have been brought up using the internet from a young age. This leads to a further problem of parents thinking that their child knows more about the internet and being safe than they do, so they don't get involved as they believe that little Timmy is already more aware than they themselves could be.

Ignorance is no excuse though, they as a parent should be doing their utmost to read up on internet dangers and educate their child about them, and ideally prevent the child from encountering them in the first place.

That would be in an ideal world. Unfortunately, the world isn't ideal and poor parenting like you described continues to lead children into all sorts of danger on the internet, where those of us who are aware end up having to step in to protect their child. The button shouldn't have to be there, the parent should educate the child, and the parent should make themselves responsible for their child, but it is and they don't.

It is a huge social issue which has permeated itself through to the internet. I think the internet just reveals how poor some parents are. Until that issue is sorted, measures need to be taken online to protect these vulnerable children who through no fault of their own are left exposed to a myriad of dangers.

I used to moderate an online game with a number of younger players, I know first hand the frustration of seeing something happening which good parenting could have prevented.
ch0llima
Report 8 years ago
I don't like Facebook, and only have it because people refuse to communicate any other way these days it seems. I did delete it once, but due to practical considerations (i.e. people not telling me anything, not inviting me to do anything and refusing to contact me via other means, even though I tried hard) I had to go back on within nine weeks of deletion.

This CEOP button is going too far, I reckon. Technology cannot prevent lazy and feckless parenting; it is up to you as parents to control what your child does online, especially if they're that young. If you don't understand, then you can learn from your children by monitoring their behaviour. This, of course, goes hand in hand with Facebook's age restriction (13, I think it is). I wonder how long it'll be before reports aren't followed up and another incident like this occurs despite the technology being in place?
EMck
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sorry will this panic button actually work? and when you feel that your privacy is being invaded would it not just be better to cancel your account or not just tell the world and strangers your business.

I agree with the thread starter, that facebook is the biggest pile of crap
ExcessNeo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DJkG.1)
Yayyy panic button!

Turning "give me your lunch money or I'll punch you" into "give me your lunch money and that wristband or I'll punch you". :yep:
Dystopian91
Rep:
?
It makes no sense whatsoever, the media in this country is a right state.
Blueflare
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey, uh, here's a crazy idea, why don't parents raise children properly so that there is more to their life than ******* Facebook, and in the event of someone "bullying" them on there they simply block them, delete them, and move on with their lives like rational, functioning individuals?
Drew.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A panic button?!? This country's gone to the dogs.
Dystopian91
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drew.)
A panic button?!? This country's gone to the dogs.
Dont be so captious. I'm talking about the press, and parents en-masse of the country. The "panic" button is extraneous to the discussion and as I said, distracts from the real issue.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jonty99)
Isn't there already some sort of "report" feature?
Im gussing people are to stupid to use it
moneyballs2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Would cost Facebook a fortune to run and 95% of the people pushing it would do it for the 'lols'
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (129)
18.48%
No (422)
60.46%
Not really bothered about them (147)
21.06%

Watched Threads