Turn on thread page Beta

Meeting someone for the first time in a long time watch

ReputationRep:
    Let's try again: (edit)

A few years ago, when I was 15, I met a Spanish guy (one year older than me) on holiday - we used to catch each others eyes across the restaurant every night (it was really sweet, but clichéd I know). Unfortunately, we were both really shy, so when the week was over, we had only managed one conversation, although we did exchange email addresses.

We have spoken regularly ever since, made artificially braver by the blissful detachment affored to us by communicating over the internet. We've both told each other how much we like(d) each other, however, getting to know someone, virtually from scratch, over the internet, in a different language, is, unsurprising, pretty ******* difficult.

Anyway, in a couple of weeks, he's coming to London and we're going to meet up again. I know for certain that it is going to be unbearably uncomfortable, and it makes me cringe just to think about it. After so long, we're both bound to have changed, and there's no guarantee that we're still going to be interested in each other in that way - there's no real guarantee that we even were in the first place. What if one of us interested, but the other isn't? What if neither of us is interested? What if we both are?(!)

I know I sound really pathetic and immature, - I feel like I'm 12 years old again writing this, - not 17. Perhaps I'm more insecure and inexperienced than I realise. I guess I'm just looking for some advice and reassurance. (Also, any suggestions about where to go/what to do together in London would be appreciated.)

ReputationRep:
    I kind of gave up when reading "met a Spanish guy on holiday" - sorry.
    If you're interested, and he's not, don't feel too bad about it. Remember what you said about "feel like I'm 12 years old again". You don't really know him. Then again, you're quoting Atonement, so it seems you're a quite infatuated. But that's all nerves and hormones - not love. Whatever happens, this too will pass.

ReputationRep:
    The way you compared it to a film just made me lol.

ReputationRep:
    I gave up when you mentioned Atonement.

Sorry, but I really, really, really hated that book.

ReputationRep:
    Edited. Is everyone happy now? Does the next person think that they could post something which is actually useful to me?

ReputationRep:
    Of its getting you all worked up, go for it and see what happens. Try to not over analyse the situation.

Even if you both realise that you've grown apart, its not the end of the world.

(Comparing to a book. Oh, its all so exciting! :awesome:)

ReputationRep:
    Spanish men are always interested, fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhys_please)
    Spanish men are always interested, fact.
    This. And everything's hot on holiday.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh. typical unhelpful TSR reaction :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, i really liked your story. i thought it was heartwarming and hope it works out for you.
    try going somewhere quite relaxed, but somewhere that allows you to keep busy. perhaps a museum/aquarium or something. this might sound a little ridiculous, but it might help to have something else to talk about (eg. in these cases, your surroundings!) if you get a little stuck for conversation. and it should ease the tension a little bit.
    if after that you feel more comfortable, go for a meal/coffee together for a proper chat. maybe a nice park if the weather's good.

hope this helps - and i wish you the very best of luck!

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.