Biology v Chemistry Watch

moleman3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm thinking of taking either Biology or Chemistry for A-level. I don't think that i want to do anything sciencey in the future, but just incase i'm pretty sure chemistry is the option that would keep open my options most. However i enjoy Biology slightly better. I am predicted A* in both for gcse but am much better at chemistry when it comes to exams even though i find it harder when trying to learn it. Which one is more enjoyable and do you think i should take? Thankyou
indifferencepersonified
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Personally, I find biology more enjoyable to learn (apart from the rubbish how science works bits) but chemistry more challenging (which I also enjoy). Chemistry is more difficult as a subject but if you think you could do either then I would do biology.
BlueSheep32
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What are the other subjects you're thinking of taking, and what are you thinking of doing at university?

Chemistry would probably keep your options open more but it is a very hard A-Level, although Biology is quite hard as well. I do both and I enjoy Biology more. If you're more interested in Biology I'd take Biology because you'll get a lot more out of studying it than you would from Chemistry.
Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Chemistry I enjoyed far more

Biology, if you can repeat everything you read, yuo will be good at it

Chemistry is more harder, but much better!
orca92
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Chemistry would be better for showing science understanding etc; it's definitely harder than biology and holds a slightly better reputation in my opinion. If you are predicted A* in both and find chemsitry easier to do well in exams in then i would definitely go for chemistry. Biology is interesting but i don't think it has as good a reputation as chemistry and it is definitely easier.
S.R
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by moleman3)
I'm thinking of taking either Biology or Chemistry for A-level. I don't think that i want to do anything sciencey in the future, but just incase i'm pretty sure chemistry is the option that would keep open my options most. However i enjoy Biology slightly better. I am predicted A* in both for gcse but am much better at chemistry when it comes to exams even though i find it harder when trying to learn it. Which one is more enjoyable and do you think i should take? Thankyou

If you enjoy Chemistry then do chemistry as you can go into more stuff with it. Plus the experiments are way more fun
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Probably do what you enjoy if you're not strictly wishing to go down a science route.
Ashnard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Chemistry is more challenging and rounded as an A-level, so I would say it is more respected in general than Biology. Biology basically requires you to memorise alot of information in preparation for the exams, with very little systematic learning. The concepts in Chemistry are considered to be more difficult, and will require you to use some basic maths. In my experience, Chemistry practicals are considerably more sophisticated than Biology practicals, and consume more of the timetable. I think the course content of both are very interesting, although inorganic Chemistry is very tedious.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.48%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
41.19%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise