Jobseekers allowance first interview tomorrow...but im on holiday next week Watch

adderz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi. i have my first meeting for jobseekers allowance tomorrow. However i go on holiday this friday for one week (in the country). Would i be able to start my allowance after i return or something? I'm not sure what i'll have to do.
Matureb
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you tell them that you are going on holiday and will not be available for work, then you won`t get JSA for that period. So don`t tell them. Anyway, you are not going on holiday. You are looking for employment in a different area. JSA takes a while to sort out, so you probably won`t even be missed while your claim is being looked at.
jesusacademy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i went yesterday and got told to go back next wednesday! so only a week after even though it's usually a gap of a fortnight. maybe it's cause it's the first time! anyway the guy i talked to was a total patronising moron who thoughy i had no idea what i wanted to do in my life cause i said i wanted work related to 'ICT' and nothing more specific - even though i said i'm going uni next year to persue my dream job.
JamesBlood
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't want to sound harsh, but if you can afford to go on holiday then you shouldn't be claiming JSA.
adderz
Rep:
?
(Original post by JamesBlood)
I don't want to sound harsh, but if you can afford to go on holiday then you shouldn't be claiming JSA.

No i appreciate that, it's more of visiting family down south rather than a holiday to be honest. Thanks for the help everyone.
psychocustard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Right, you are entitled to one two week holiday within the UK whilst on JSA, but you'll have to give them a number and address of where you're staying in case anything comes up.

Tbh, if you don't have to sign on that week, then you can probably get away with it, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
x-pixie-lottie-x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JamesBlood)
this was what i was thinking when i read the title...
so just go tell them that you have to visit family... dont lie or make up excuses just tell them the truth... you have chosen to go on holiday, therefore you have to put up with the consequences...
x
gateshipone
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by adderz)
Hi. i have my first meeting for jobseekers allowance tomorrow. However i go on holiday this friday for one week (in the country). Would i be able to start my allowance after i return or something? I'm not sure what i'll have to do.
If you're going away in the UK, just tell them when you're in and you'll be asked to fill out a holiday form. Just fill it in and you'll be booked in for a late signing when you return. Any JSA you'd sign for in that period will only be paid after the late signing.

If you aren't going to miss a signing, a holiday form isn't really necessary. We just ask that you pick up a paper or look online while you're away because you still need to be looking for work.

Oh and don't listen to Matureb...that's terrible advice!

(Original post by jesusacademy)
i went yesterday and got told to go back next wednesday! so only a week after even though it's usually a gap of a fortnight. maybe it's cause it's the first time!
Yeah chances are your first interview was not on what will be your normal signing day, so that's why you've got to be in sooner. Your next signing after that will be a fortnight after.
Wesssty
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
this was what i was thinking when i read the title...
so just go tell them that you have to visit family... dont lie or make up excuses just tell them the truth... you have chosen to go on holiday, therefore you have to put up with the consequences...
x
In a perfect world, but the guy wants his money.
CB91
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If it doesn't overlap with any signing on dates then dont tell them.
x-pixie-lottie-x
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Wesssty)
In a perfect world, but the guy wants his money.
then he shouldnt go on holiday....
he has chosen to go, he isnt being forced to at gun point, he has chosen, he can choose not to go too... if he'd rather have his money...

it sounds harsh as ... but thats how black and white it is...

(but as it did sound harsh extra x's )
x x x x
psychocustard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
he has chosen to go, he isnt being forced to at gun point, he has chosen, he can choose not to go too... if he'd rather have his money...

x x x x
Tbh, if his parents are paying for it, and he's not going somewhere like the Seychelles - he's just going to visit family - then why not?! You're entitled to a holiday whilst on JSA anyway, so actually, no, it's not that black and white.
adderz
Rep:
?

x x x x

It's a family visit that has been planned a long time and I cannot get out of, I know what you're saying though
adderz
Rep:
?
appreciate the x's though
x-pixie-lottie-x
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's a family visit that has been planned a long time and I cannot get out of, I know what you're saying though
appreciate the x's though
your welcome

i know it sucks.... but just tell em... there might well be some way around it never know! x

(Original post by psychocustard)
Tbh, if his parents are paying for it, and he's not going somewhere like the Seychelles - he's just going to visit family - then why not?! You're entitled to a holiday whilst on JSA anyway, so actually, no, it's not that black and white.
technically it is that black and white... tell them and put up with the consequences... or dont go...
theres no rainbow coloured spectrum of other options is there?
gateshipone
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
technically it is that black and white... tell them and put up with the consequences... or dont go...
What consequences? If the holiday overlaps with a signing, the OP will have to fill out a form and come in when they return. Money will be delayed but not stopped. If it doesn't conflict with a signing, the OP should just do as much of a job search as they can and then sign as normal. As long as they can prove they've done 3 things a week, that's fine.

Either way, there's no negative consequences really...
abcdefg56789
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you don't need to go on jsa if you can afford a holiday,
stop being a dole scrounger and actually look for work
adderz
Rep:
?
(Original post by abcdefg56789)
you don't need to go on jsa if you can afford a holiday,
stop being a dole scrounger and actually look for work
Cool story bro.

Read what's been said, i'm visiting family. It's not costing me any money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (115)
45.82%
Pro-humanity (136)
54.18%

Watched Threads