Sibly Hall Watch

ExR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello,

I've applied a little late for accommodation and when I did apply, I noticed that there was only one hall available and that was Sibly Hall.

First thing I did was search for it on Google images, wasn't amazed but on the other hand, it's a world apart from where I've been living for many years, so it will be a new experience to say the least. Does anyone have any pictures of the actual rooms in Sibly Hall? I've Googled it but haven't found anything.

I also stumbled upon a horrifying article regarding a fatal accident at Sibly Hall back in 2003.
http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/...name_page.html
If you're faint hearted and will be staying here, I suggest not reading the article linked above.

Does anyone know whether or not anything has been done to prevent that from happening again? I'm sure the University have done things to improve safety, but it would be reassuring to know exactly what has been done.

Cheers!

ExR
marcusfox
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ExR)
Hello,

I've applied a little late for accommodation and when I did apply, I noticed that there was only one hall available and that was Sibly Hall.

First thing I did was search for it on Google images, wasn't amazed but on the other hand, it's a world apart from where I've been living for many years, so it will be a new experience to say the least. Does anyone have any pictures of the actual rooms in Sibly Hall? I've Googled it but haven't found anything.

I also stumbled upon a horrifying article regarding a fatal accident at Sibly Hall back in 2003.
http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/...name_page.html
If you're faint hearted and will be staying here, I suggest not reading the article linked above.

Does anyone know whether or not anything has been done to prevent that from happening again? I'm sure the University have done things to improve safety, but it would be reassuring to know exactly what has been done.

Cheers!

ExR
Best thing would be to tell students not to be so bloody stupid and try to get 9 people in a lift designed for 6 maximum.
Liz_Stanley
Report 8 years ago
My friends stayed in Sibly hall over the last 3 years and they've had the time of their lives and 1 of them is actually moving back for her last year.

It might look bad but it all depends on who you're with and if you hate it there might be a waiting list to move into other rooms (i had that when i tried uni the first time )
Twaffy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I stayed in Sibly in my first year.

Yeh they've done nothing to improve the safety, well except put in a loud buzzer to tell you too many are in the lift, but to be honest it's amazing they fit 9 people in there, not suprised an accident happened.

It was good, I met some cool people there, it's right by asdas - always a plus - good bus service into town.
They used to have a safety bus (aka the rape bus) running from campus to and from sibly and bulmershe in the night (bulmershe got priority) but I think they've stopped that now - but I might have made that up.
It's walkable to campus and if you have another person it's safe enough to walk back after union nights!

Although I had an epic time there I wouldn't go back, but then I had problems with infestations in my room and the management in the hall were helpful to begin but then it turned a tad nasty but I'm a one off I'd guess. Saying that I only know 1 who returned there for their 2nd year and no-one I know is going there for the 3rd year.

If we're honest it's the cheapest hall for a reason but I think as long as you have an epic group of people there you should have a fab time!
Russell Ede
Report 8 years ago
As one of the people who've yet to move out (now entering my third year in Sibly, and there are some entering their fourth and some returning after living out of hall for a year), I'll agree with most of the comments above.

The lift was an accident, it's designed for six people. There are 2 lifts, and neither of them have had a problem whilst I've been here, the occasional door getting stuck open but that is about it.

So what's good about it?
It's right by ASDA (24h), so fantastic for food shopping (self-catered hall), and for midnight food runs.
Two regular buses into Reading town centre (20/21), every 20mins on each (for 10min intervals) during term time.
Green space, Sibly has a large field and a small copse to call its own, and there is a nature reserve with a lake and woods just around the corner.
The Safety Bus mentioned above has changed quite a lot. It still runs but will now go anywhere and leaves the library once a hour between 6pm and 11pm you just book a seat on it that evening, with priority given to those travelling on their own.
It's cheap to live here, because it doesn't have all the mod-cons associated with newer halls, but it's enough, with larger rooms than some halls (except the new two). It does have its problems though.

The So-Called Cons:
The "massive" distance to campus, it's a 15-20m walk (depending where on campus and how fast you walk), 6-7m on a bike, really not that far at all.
Lack of handbasin in your room, something you probably didn't have at home anyway, and is it really that hard to walk to the bathroom to brush your teeth? Also, the lack of handbasin actually gives an extra bit of space in your room.
17 Sharing a Bathroom, potentially could be a problem, but there are three showers in each and plenty of sinks/toilets, and since not everyone gets up/has lectures at the same time it rarely is a massive problem, and if it is, you can easily just go to the other corridor's bathroom.

The Problems:
17 Sharing a Kitchen, whilst there are 3 cookers, and enough fridge/freezer space if you're sensible, with that many people it can get very messy very quickly.

The problems:
It's an old building, it has problems associated with that and lacks the mod-cons found in newer halls, particularly I find a shortage of sockets, 4 for a room. The kitchens and bathrooms are definitely dated, and with the hall scheduled to close at the end of 2011-2012 year, they're unlikely to be refreshed. There definitely can be problems with rooms, but the new management (recently took over) will tend to sort them out quickly, and if they don't you can always complain to the Accommodation Service in the Carrington Building.
It is a distance from town which can be a pain for nights out, but if you're wise and go with friends and book a taxi in advance, it'll cost £7 each way, which split a few ways is nothing.

Yeah, as said above. It is the cheapest for a reason, but you get what you pay for, and that extra money you save can pay for a lot more nights out etc. Having ASDA nearby is really useful, and if you bring a bike it really isn't far at all, and even walking isn't that hard.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.61%
No (553)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.48%

Watched Threads