Taking a car to Reading Watch

ExR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi there,

I'd like to take my car (Land Rover) to Reading but not sure whether or not it's worth it. Are there parking facilities at the halls. If so, are these only available at a cost?

Cheers

ExR
Escorcio
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Which halls are you at?
It's not that difficult to get a permit for most halls, but getting one to be able to park on campus is ridiculously hard
Dstbgre
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It depends on which halls you are in.
As far as I know its fairly easy to get a permit for the UPP halls (Student village and St Georges) but nearly impossible for any of the university owned halls. The university policy is that first years should not have a car when living in halls. Also a permit for campus is nearly impossible to get unless you live a certain distance away from the campus and even then I have heard its over £100 for the permit for the year.

I wouldnt recommend bringing it unless you really want to. The shops are all easy to access (and if you are living in catered accomodation you only really need them for food at weekends anyway) and most things are located in the town centre which is easy to walk to.
tom9991
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dstbgre)
Also a permit for campus is nearly impossible to get unless you live a certain distance away from the campus and even then I have heard its over £100 for the permit for the year.

What kind of distance is acceptable im from windsor so about 15 - 20 miles away. What are the chances of me getting a permit ? Also is the £100+ paid at the start of the yr or at the start of each term ?
Crazy Paving
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know someone at Reading who took a car with them, and I think they are allowed to park there, but at a cost. I am not sure of the exact cost. Why don't you give them a call?
Dstbgre
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tom9991)
What kind of distance is acceptable im from windsor so about 15 - 20 miles away. What are the chances of me getting a permit ? Also is the £100+ paid at the start of the yr or at the start of each term ?
Are you living in halls or planning to commute?

If you are going to be in halls then the distance to your home doesnt matter - you wont get a campus permit although, depending on which halls you are in, you may be able to get a permit to keep it there. If you are planning to commute into uni each day then I seem to remember someone saying that it was something like more than 5-10 miles away but I couldnt say accuratly. If you want to know for certain then phone up the uni and ask. However you may find that you wont know whether you can get a permit for halls until after you have moved in.
Grotbag
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There's no need for a car in Reading.

The buses are regular and go pretty much everywhere
Parking is a nightmare in general
Traffic is terrible, especially in the mornings
Reading Borough Coucil really, really like digging up roads
Everyone will want to skive lifts

For campus permits they are incredibly limited and decided on the basis of special needs (mobility), mature students with responsibilties for children or other carers, distance and the availability of public transport.

I have no idea where people are getting these prices from - it is £12 a year in the unlikely event of you getting one. Halls are a different animal altogether and they will all have their own rules about parking.
Dstbgre
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ah ok I stand corrected on the price. I was told by a mate who has a car that he wouldnt even consider getting a campus parking permit because, when he went and asked in Whiteknights house, that the price was over £100 per year so I assumed he was correct. Sorry.
470dwndow54
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
reeeading
Grotbag
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ah ok I stand corrected on the price. I was told by a mate who has a car that he wouldnt even consider getting a campus parking permit because, when he went and asked in Whiteknights house, that the price was over £100 per year so I assumed he was correct. Sorry.
No need to apologise - it may as well be £100 for all the likelihood of getting one!
tom9991
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Are you living in halls or planning to commute?

If you are going to be in halls then the distance to your home doesnt matter - you wont get a campus permit although, depending on which halls you are in, you may be able to get a permit to keep it there. If you are planning to commute into uni each day then I seem to remember someone saying that it was something like more than 5-10 miles away but I couldnt say accuratly. If you want to know for certain then phone up the uni and ask. However you may find that you wont know whether you can get a permit for halls until after you have moved in.
Im commuting mate. I cant really believe that i am worring about parking now. I mean i havent even got the required grades to get in yet lol.
tom9991
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Grotbag)

Everyone will want to skive lifts
Is that going to be a everyday sort of thing or weekly ? possible money making situation lol
emerley
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I took my car to Wessex and they granted me a permit, which cost £30 for the year I think. However I did have medical reasons, and parking is restricted so they might be funny about it unless you have a very good reason.

Parking on campus is probably a bit of a lost cause, you need a permit and they can be quite strict I think. Have a think about whether you really need your car - mine was mostly to get to the supermarket etc and I could have done without it if I had to, to be honest.
marcusfox
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Almost certainly if you are living in halls you will not be allowed to bring your car with you or get any permit to park on campus unless you have genuine mobility issues.
Tom Gilchrist
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You won't be able to park on campus but, depending on the Hall of Residence you are in, you should be able to argue a parking permit. I managed it in my first year for the Hall I was in...

If not - there are plenty of rounds all around campus that have no parking restrictions... although everyone else knows that too ;-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (38)
27.14%
No - I got the required grades (84)
60%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (18)
12.86%

Watched Threads