Turn on thread page Beta

volunteering . . how long before they get back to you? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    About 3 weeks ago i joined the do-it website and applied for more information about two volunteering jobs and i still havent heard anything back.

Two weeks ago i went in to a local charity shop got an application form, filled it in and handed it back . . .and i stil havemt heard anything from them . . on the wall of the shop it said volunteers urgently needed. . . so why havent they got in touch yet . . . its abit disheartening and doesnt really encourage people to volunteer when it takes two weeks to just get back to them about it . . .
    does anyone know if this is normal or they're just plain inconsiderate . . . ?
    cheers . .

ReputationRep:
    well you're just pretty much slave labour to them so is it any wonder that they're not exactly rolling out the red carpet. I wouldn't even hold out much hope on them getting back to you at all. You just have to keep trying palces until you get lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    well you're just pretty much slave labour to them so is it any wonder that they're not exactly rolling out the red carpet. I wouldn't even hold out much hope on them getting back to you at all. You just have to keep trying palces until you get lucky.
    its just annoying . . . thought theyd atleast show SOME gratitude tbh :\
    grhhh

ReputationRep:
    most charity shops are really abdly organised too, I did some volunteering in British H foundation and it was just such a hasstle trying to arrange

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    most charity shops are really abdly organised too, I did some volunteering in British H foundation and it was just such a hasstle trying to arrange
    hmm . . .well thanks anyways i guess lol

ReputationRep:
    Mine took about a month or two to get back to me, that was at Help the Aged.

ReputationRep:
    as ifff. . . .
    thought they'd be nicer than employers who pay becauseyour doing it outta the goodness of your heart

oh well . . . naive much ? lol

ReputationRep:
    The delay in answering your application can be due the fact that you don't match with their needs, you're not the one they are looking for, the bigger organisation is, the more application they recieve, the more picky they are but also..the more challening and interesting your job is(if you have choosen a field you're genuinely intrested in).
    However..this is just a general opinion, it doesn't have to apply for every single case in this world.

ReputationRep:
    it's only volunteering in a shop though . . . . and i have a part time job in a shop so i have all the skills . . .
    sighhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    I see..then, it might be their fault because they still can't properly organise their activity.Look for another place maybe?

ReputationRep:
    aye will do, just never volunteered before, guess i thought they'd value people who wanna give up their time for free lol :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quietlyconfidenttttt)
    About 3 weeks ago i joined the do-it website and applied for more information about two volunteering jobs and i still havent heard anything back.

Two weeks ago i went in to a local charity shop got an application form, filled it in and handed it back . . .and i stil havemt heard anything from them . . on the wall of the shop it said volunteers urgently needed. . . so why havent they got in touch yet . . . its abit disheartening and doesnt really encourage people to volunteer when it takes two weeks to just get back to them about it . . .
    does anyone know if this is normal or they're just plain inconsiderate . . . ?
    cheers . .
    Keep hassling them!
    That's what i did when i volunteered!

They took a few weeks to get back to me too

ReputationRep:
    i got all excited about it an all, and it just feels like they dont even care tbh :\ but, ill keep hassling them lol

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if the organisation is one that you really like and you feel good being part of it..then, your time will worth a lot for many of us.

ReputationRep:
    Mine took a couple of weeks to organise but it wasnt in a shop and they were in need of people any time 7 days a week. I also call people to chase things up as charities have lots of people - paid and volunteered - doing different shifts who may or may not pass things on especially in a timely manner. If you want it just give a quick, polite call to say you handed your application directly to the shop x weeks ago and was wondering if they still needed someone for xdays.

ReputationRep:
    I was told to just pick a day and turn up next week. Just go back there and ask them for a start date (you might need tto fill out the form again coz they'd probs have no idea who you are). Like above poster said, they're not majorly organised and where i was there wasnt really any communication between staff on different days so they didnt even no i was coming :rolleyes: .

Just go back and get a date :yep:

ReputationRep:
    h'okaaaayyyyy cheers you lot, just never volunteered before so like . . . s'all new to me

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I've tried volunteering I had to fill out forms and wait for aaages.

Too much bloody admin involved!

ReputationRep:
    I never waited ages when volunteering. Started the next week.
    Call them back and ask.

ReputationRep:
    You should volunteer for girl guiding UK instead.
    They will snap you up into a unit straight away. I took about 3 hours for me from calling them saying I'm interested to joining a brownie unit (you dont get left alone with the kids until you have a valid CRB and you're never 1 to 1 with kids anyway). Its great fun, a great experience and looks awesome on the CV - I spent most of a graduate job interview talking about it and got the job so they obviously like it! There's tonnes of awesome stuff you can do if you're under 25 as well as a "participant" rather than a leader. //advert

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.