Clearing Watch

GazingAtStars
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I feel a bit silly asking this question, but I'm a little bit confused.

Am I able to apply for clearing?

Just finished my first year at uni, but I'm not that keen on the course. Thought I would love it, but I was wrong. I did well in some modules, but then I failed a few exams in other modules.

Can I apply for clearing? (Seeing as I didn't actually apply for uni at all this year) And will my uni know that I have applied?

I just want to look at the other options open to me.

I have a few courses and unis in mind that I woud have loved to have gone to. And I just want to look at what I could possibly do next.

Obviously there is an option of carrying on doing the same course. But as I don't enjoy it as much as I thought I would I'm thinking of maybe doing something else.

Edit: Just been reading around and see that I don't apply for clearing but still apply anyway? So I might do that. Butttt the same question still stands, will my current uni be able to see that I have applied somewhere else? And say I apply for a different course at the same uni, will they realise? Because there is a chance I will go back doing the same course, and I don't want them to think I'm not going back.
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by GazingAtStars)
Can I apply for clearing? (Seeing as I didn't actually apply for uni at all this year) And will my uni know that I have applied?
Yes. In fact, at this stage in the cycle, you can only apply for Clearing - just complete a UCAS form, but without adding uni choices, and you automatically enter Clearing. The uni won't be informed by UCAS, but you'll have to get a reference from someone and, considering that you have to declare that you're currently at uni, it might look a bit odd and suspicious if your reference isn't from someone at your uni.

And say I apply for a different course at the same uni, will they realise? Because there is a chance I will go back doing the same course, and I don't want them to think I'm not going back.
From what I've read and understand, your name will be somewhere in the uni database and it might come up if you apply through Clearing at the same uni. However, the uni can't assume you're not going back unless you tell them, so it won't be a problem if they do know.

If you want to do a course at the same uni, have you considered a course transfer? No Clearing, they just move you onto a different course if it's all ok. You may/probably have to start in year one again, but you're considering that anyway.
GazingAtStars
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheSownRose)
If you want to do a course at the same uni, have you considered a course transfer? No Clearing, they just move you onto a different course if it's all ok. You may/probably have to start in year one again, but you're considering that anyway.
I hadn't actually considered this. Think I'll have to look into it. Thank you

Does anyone know if there is there any way I can look at all the courses still available before I apply anywhere? Or do I have to wait until August as the A Level results are not out yet? Or do I phone up the unis?
I don't know what I want to do! Well, I have some sort of idea. But don't know if I have the right grades to get in so if that is the case there would be no point in applying. - If what I just said made sense.
Game_boy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Does anyone know if there is there any way I can look at all the courses still available before I apply anywhere? Or do I have to wait until August as the A Level results are not out yet? Or do I phone up the unis?
Look on the UCAS Course search for 2010. The courses that aren't full now will probably enter Clearing.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't know what I want to do! Well, I have some sort of idea. But don't know if I have the right grades to get in so if that is the case there would be no point in applying. - If what I just said made sense.
But at this stage in the application, you're not really applying yet. If you submit an application after 30th of June, you just enter an application without any uni choices, and then go through Clearing when it opens on results day. You can do a course search and see what courses are still in Extra, but that's not necessarily an indication that they will be in Clearing.

In Clearing, you phone unis and tell them your grades. If they're interested, they take your Clearing number, look at your application and make you an offer if they're interested. You then apply for the offer you want to accept. Therefore, if your grades aren't ok, you don't waste time in applying for them, because they'll tell you when you phone them.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Game_boy)
Look on the UCAS Course search for 2010. The courses that aren't full now will probably enter Clearing.
That is not necessarily true.
GazingAtStars
Rep:
?
But at this stage in the application, you're not really applying yet. If you submit an application after 30th of June, you just enter an application without any uni choices, and then go through Clearing when it opens on results day. You can do a course search and see what courses are still in Extra, but that's not necessarily an indication that they will be in Clearing.

In Clearing, you phone unis and tell them your grades. If they're interested, they take your Clearing number, look at your application and make you an offer if they're interested. You then apply for the offer you want to accept. Therefore, if your grades aren't ok, you don't waste time in applying for them, because they'll tell you when you phone them.
OHHHHHH I seeeeee!
Game_boy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That is not necessarily true.
Yes, but it's the only indicator you can get right now. No substitute for looking on the day of course.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Game_boy)
Yes, but it's the only indicator you can get right now. No substitute for looking on the day of course.
It's an indication that these courses were the less popular ones, so might still have spaces in Clearing ... but unis also use Extra to find new people to give offers to, and considering unis over-offer, it's more than possible that they'll have enough people who get the grades.

You really do just have to wait and see.
atlas
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
I'm in a similar situation to the threadstarter. So what is one to do for now?

Suppose that there is a course that I'm interested in, that doesn't show up as 'full' on the UCAS website. Is it worth calling up the university/department and inquiring about 'clearing places' now, or is that putting the cart before the horse, because clearing doesn't actually open until A-Level results day?

I've called up a few other universities and courses, and everyone of them said 'sorry, we're not opening up for clearing'. Wasn't sure what they meant. I asked them, 'if you don't get all your places filled after results day, would it be worth me calling you back then - or are you just not opening up for clearing full stop?' The reply I got from Uni of Manc - "It doesn't work like that". They seemed very hesitant to offer any sort of advice, that lot.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by atlas)
Suppose that there is a course that I'm interested in, that doesn't show up as 'full' on the UCAS website. Is it worth calling up the university/department and inquiring about 'clearing places' now, or is that putting the cart before the horse, because clearing doesn't actually open until A-Level results day?
They won't know whether they'll be able to offer you anything in Clearing now, because they don't yet know if they'll have any spaces left or how many. However, it's worth getting your name known now, especially if you can find an admissions tutor you get on with and have decent conversation with, because that means that, by the time you get to Clearing, if they have any spaces they'll be more likely to give an offer to someone who has expressed interest in their course before they had to scramble to find something else, and someone they like the look of. Means you're not trying to impress them in one rushed phone-call.

I've called up a few other universities and courses, and everyone of them said 'sorry, we're not opening up for clearing'. Wasn't sure what they meant. I asked them, 'if you don't get all your places filled after results day, would it be worth me calling you back then - or are you just not opening up for clearing full stop?' The reply I got from Uni of Manc - "It doesn't work like that". They seemed very hesitant to offer any sort of advice, that lot.
I think the word that might have confused them was 'after'. The way Clearing works, you phone them on results day as soon as you can (ie, straight after you have your results) and offers are given on a semi first-come-first-served basis ... so phoning them if they haven't got all places filled after results day isn't technically correct. I expect you knew how Clearing works, just didn't phrase it quite right in your e-mail.

Some unis don't enter Clearing, even if they have spaces - Oxbridge and LSE spring to mind immediately. From what I can make out, a lot unis are currently saying they don't expect to enter Clearing, but we really won't know until results day what the actual situation is.
atlas
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for the response. Maybe I didn't write that point accurately, what I was trying to get across was, I asked 'in the case of an insufficient number of applicants achieving their required A-Level grades, should I inquire about clearing places on results day?' (words to that effect). However, the uni of Manc said 'we don't do clearing'. I asked the question again, 'what if you don't get enough applicants achieving the required grades?' They said 'it doesn't work like that'. Three or four different staff said the same thing, so I was quite confused.

What is the reason that a prospective university can't offer me a place now, seeing as I've already got my A-Levels? I imagine that it's because there are virtually no courses that aren't fully subscribed, that right?
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by atlas)
Maybe I didn't write that point accurately, what I was trying to get across was, I asked 'in the case of an insufficient number of applicants achieving their required A-Level grades, should I inquire about clearing places on results day?' (words to that effect). However, the uni of Manc said 'we don't do clearing'. I asked the question again, 'what if you don't get enough applicants achieving the required grades?' They said 'it doesn't work like that'. Three or four different staff said the same thing, so I was quite confused.
I'm confused as well. :p: That's almost exactly how it works: if they get less offer-holders achieving the grades than they have places for the course, they look at the people who missed it and decide if they want to take any of them on regardless. If they still don't have all their places filled, those places go into Clearing ... unless they don't enter Clearing on principle. In my opinion, it sounds like that's what Manchester is saying.

I'd recommend try asking again, but in the one e-mail and presented clearly; something to the effect of, "I know you don't yet know whether or not your courses are full, but if a course was to have places remaining after the A-level results have been released, would those places be entered for Clearing or does the University of Manchester not enter Clearing at all?"

What is the reason that a prospective university can't offer me a place now, seeing as I've already got my A-Levels? I imagine that it's because there are virtually no courses that aren't fully subscribed, that right?
There may be a few courses that can - courses that, even with the main application and Extra, have not yet made more offers than they have places (to use easy numbers, they have 100 spaces and have only made ninety offers.) You can't actually enter them as your Clearing choice yet, but you could get an unofficial offer by e-mail.

However, by and large, even courses that are showing as not full on UCAS have given more offers than they have spaces (again to use easy numbers, they have 100 spaces and have given 150 offers) - they just want to give out a few more offers (say they would have liked to have 160 offers out there), in the hope that they don't have any/a lot of spaces in Clearing because Clearing is a nightmare for everyone. All these students ringing you up begging for places...

Clearing only matches up students without a place with places without a student to fill them. If a course has more offers out there than it has places, the uni don't yet know how many, if any, places they'll have going for Clearing applicants, therefore they can't give you a Clearing offer yet even though you already have your grades.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?