Progressing with exercise Watch

adde
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey,

I've been working out for about 8 months now. I've seen quite a lot of good results. I feel that I am right on the edge of having a nice body. Just wanted to check with you guys and hear your ideas on how I should progress with my training.

I lift weights 3 times a week

I do cardio 3 times a week. 1 day I do HIIT, 1 day fast jogging and 1 day slow jogging for a longer distance.

I eat whey protein in the morning, as a snack between lunch and dinner, and post-workout (I always eat a banana with it).

My meals have a very low/no carbs on cardio-days and I eat wholegrain pasta on the days that I lift weights. I eat a lot of chicken breast and veggies.

Right now I have the body I want muscle wise, but I feel that I don't have the stomach that I want. I still have a little fat there and my abs aren't as "hard" (hard to explain, hope you understand) as e.g my chest muscles. I know that the stomach is the last place that I'll lose fat, but I was just wondering if I'm training in a good way.

Thanks.
9MmBulletz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Do compound lifts- squat,deadlift,bench press, press/shoulder press,

Follow a programme
Starting Strength
Stronglifts
WS4SB
Bill Starrs etc

Eat accordingly- 1.5-2g protein per kg bodyweight
Carbohydrates>Protein>Fats
Depending on if you want to bulk or cut, 500 daily caloric surplus or deficit
Read the stickys
Bbeben
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 9MmBulletz)
Do compound lifts- squat,deadlift,bench press, press/shoulder press,

Follow a programme
Starting Strength
Stronglifts
WS4SB
Bill Starrs etc

Eat accordingly- 1.5-2g protein per kg bodyweight
Depending on if you want to bulk or cut, 500 daily caloric surplus or deficit
Read the stickys
This

If you want to lose fat I'd recommend making one day a very intensive compound workout day. Do something like 10 sets of squats, dead lifts and what not. You'll be drenched in sweat by the end of that work out - probably more effective than a cardio day.
adde
Rep:
?
Could you elaborate on this?
adde
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bbeben)
This

If you want to lose fat I'd recommend making one day a very intensive compound workout day. Do something like 10 sets of squats, dead lifts and what not. You'll be drenched in sweat by the end of that work out - probably more effective than a cardio day.
Ok, so instead of doing a lot of cardio I should be doing more core strenghtening exercises? Have I understood your point correctly?
Bbeben
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by adde)
Ok, so instead of doing a lot of cardio I should be doing more core strenghtening exercises? Have I understood your point correctly?
Not that you have to make every cardio day a intense compound workout day - thats unnecessary. I'm saying you could turn one of those cardio days into a compound work out day, and in general train like a champ.

There's a power lifter at the gym I go to (very big and strong guy), and his intensity is so high in his work outs. He does many sets of squats, dead lifts, shoulder presses and by the end of the session he's absolutely destroyed.

I can say from experience the same - when I do 6 sets of squats, even as little as 3 I start sweating quite heavily. You're using a lot of energy when it comes to compound exercises.

Give it a try next time you're in the gym: Pile on some heavy weights onto a barbell and do a few sets of squats near to failure

It'll be good for muscle development at the same time
adde
Rep:
?
Not that you have to make every cardio day a intense compound workout day - thats unnecessary. I'm saying you could turn one of those cardio days into a compound work out day, and in general train like a champ.

There's a power lifter at the gym I go to (very big and strong guy), and his intensity is so high in his work outs. He does many sets of squats, dead lifts, shoulder presses and by the end of the session he's absolutely destroyed.

I can say from experience the same - when I do 6 sets of squats, even as little as 3 I start sweating quite heavily. You're using a lot of energy when it comes to compound exercises.

Give it a try next time you're in the gym: Pile on some heavy weights onto a barbell and do a few sets of squats near to failure

It'll be good for muscle development at the same time
Ah ok, I understand. Thanks, that was a very good piece of info.

On another note, when it comes to exercising your abs, do you believe that definition will come when I lose weight (and do the compound lifts) or do I need to be doing a lot of crunches etc as a supplement to the core workout
Bbeben
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by adde)
Ah ok, I understand. Thanks, that was a very good piece of info.

On another note, when it comes to exercising your abs, do you believe that definition will come when I lose weight (and do the compound lifts) or do I need to be doing a lot of crunches etc as a supplement to the core workout
I've never heard of anyone getting abs from doing compound work outs. Yes, losing fat will make them more defined but without training them I don't believe anything would be there. You'd need to do crunches and the sort to develop your abs.
9MmBulletz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've never heard of anyone getting abs from doing compound work outs. Yes, losing fat will make them more defined but without training them I don't believe anything would be there. You'd need to do crunches and the sort to develop your abs.
Your abs work as stabilisers in shoulder press, squats and deadlifts as well as many other compound lifts. As the weight goes up, your abs will get stronger providing you eat right
Bbeben
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Your abs work as stabilisers in shoulder press, squats and deadlifts as well as many other compound lifts. As the weight goes up, your abs will get stronger providing you eat right
I can understand how core stability would increase, but not necessarily the definition of a 6 pack. Although I may br wrong, I just don't think it would happen.
9MmBulletz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can understand how core stability would increase, but not necessarily the definition of a 6 pack. Although I may br wrong, I just don't think it would happen.
Six pack is generally from a low bodyfat and a decent amount of muscle mass
half of skinny guys have a "six pack" i reckon. it's not that impressive.
when you have a fairly stocky build like bobby lashley with a six pack, that's impressive
Bbeben
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Six pack is generally from a low bodyfat and a decent amount of muscle mass
half of skinny guys have a "six pack" i reckon. it's not that impressive.
when you have a fairly stocky build like bobby lashley with a six pack, that's impressive
Yeah - and they usually get their six packs from doing crunches. I'm curious to know if there's any body builders out there that have six packs without crunches.

And no it's not :p: on bodybuilding.com they have a thread posting up pictures of people who display their skinny bodies with six packs for their display picture on facebook/bebo so everyone can rip the piss out of them :L

Six packs belong with a built body.
adde
Rep:
?
Yeah - and they usually get their six packs from doing crunches. I'm curious to know if there's any body builders out there that have six packs without crunches.

And no it's not :p: on bodybuilding.com they have a thread posting up pictures of people who display their skinny bodies with six packs for their display picture on facebook/bebo so everyone can rip the piss out of them :L

Six packs belong with a built body.
Ok, I get it!

How essential is it to exercise the "side abs"? the muscles left and right to the sixpack. Do you need to target those? I've heard that they work during a run.

And the last question: Is it true that your metabolism kick-starts if you drink really cold water right after you wake up?
Bbeben
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by adde)
Ok, I get it!

How essential is it to exercise the "side abs"? the muscles left and right to the sixpack. Do you need to target those? I've heard that they work during a run.

And the last question: Is it true that your metabolism kick-starts if you drink really cold water right after you wake up?
Side abs as in obliques? People don't like working them out because apparently you get a wide waist from doing so - however I choose to do them anyway but not as hard as I would the rest of my abs. And no, running won't develop them if you want bigger obliques.

Apparently anytime you drink cold water your body expends more energy to get it to body temperature. I used to drink cold water quite a bit but gave up on it as it was too much of a hassle - I imagine at most you'd lose a Ib a year.
adde
Rep:
?
Side abs as in obliques? People don't like working them out because apparently you get a wide waist from doing so - however I choose to do them anyway but not as hard as I would the rest of my abs. And no, running won't develop them if you want bigger obliques.

Apparently anytime you drink cold water your body expends more energy to get it to body temperature. I used to drink cold water quite a bit but gave up on it as it was too much of a hassle - I imagine at most you'd lose a Ib a year.
Ok thanks for all of the help! really appreciate it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads