Banking etc without a degree Watch

JeRmYnStReEt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi there,

I've been doing some pondering of late (always dangerous). Come the 19th of August I will know whether or not I have attained the 3 A's I need to get into university. If I don't get in the chances are that I will be forced to take a somewhat involuntary gap year (or should that be "yah"?!) which to be honest I really don't want to do. My original plan of "action" had been to go to university and then take up my place at Sandhurst. I would complete at least one operational tour at the sand pit, which would give me a very good idea as to whether I wished to stay in the army or then enter the city and make a bit more pin money!

If I don't make the grade then to be honest I'm not sure I really want to go to university, as the chance of finding the course I'm after, at a place I'd like to go without 3 A's is slim. As such I'm looking at the possibility of going straight into the city without a degree.

My father used to work in private banking in the city and by his reckoning it is possible to enter the city and be successful without a degree (despite being uni. educated himself). However my argument is that that is a dated situation and things are perhaps not quite like this anymore, in that anyone working in private/investment banking has had some sort of higher education.

So what I'm asking, really, is if anyone knows of any banks or companies that are not adverse to employing non-graduates. All opinions, anecdotes and soap boxes welcome!

Many thanks,
Will
Focus08
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Retail banking..

It's pretty cool, actually..
JeRmYnStReEt
Rep:
?
Thank you for the reply! Could you give me an example of a corporation that's employing?
Focus08
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Natwest/Lloyds/HSBC/Santander

Jake22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would have that that experience as an officer would stand you in good stead for civilian jobs.
Dnator
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Focus08)
Natwest/Lloyds/HSBC/Santander

Oh focus:rolleyes:
Focus08
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dnator)
Oh focus:rolleyes:
:rofl:
JeRmYnStReEt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jake22)
I would have that that experience as an officer would stand you in good stead for civilian jobs.
Well this is a rather hot topic at the moment. I should mention that I'd be looking for a job before and after military service. My reasoning for this is that I don't want to enter Sandhurst for another 3 years at least, or until I feel ready. This may seem strange but I'd think it prudent to exercise caution when other people's lives are in your hands.

Also officers are finding it much more difficult to find jobs after service now. The job doesn't seem to carry the respect it used to, sad.
JeRmYnStReEt
Rep:
?
Also I'm very new to this site but I have to say I'm fascinated by the variety of conversation topics. On this thread we're talking about career's in banking and finance, whilst also subtly discussing the benefits of military service. To the right there is a tab entitled "discussions", under it there is a thread which appears to have the title "too much anal bad?" hmmmmm
Zweihander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JeRmYnStReEt)
Also I'm very new to this site but I have to say I'm fascinated by the variety of conversation topics. On this thread we're talking about career's in banking and finance, whilst also subtly discussing the benefits of military service. To the right there is a tab entitled "discussions", under it there is a thread which appears to have the title "too much anal bad?" hmmmmm
As someone pithily put it, the Investment Banking forum is the sole outcrop of brilliance sitting atop the vast sea of $hit that is TSR.
Jake22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My reasoning for this is that I don't want to enter Sandhurst for another 3 years at least, or until I feel ready. This may seem strange but I'd think it prudent to exercise caution when other people's lives are in your hands.
Sounds sensible. Although I guess part of the point of Sandhurst is to make you fit for this responsibility.

I am surprised that an army background in general doesn't hold more of a premium in civvy street to be honest. I know this is the case with ranks but I didn't realise that officers had the same problem. Crazy when you consider not only the experience and responsibility that army people have but also the training.
innerhollow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Believe me you haven't seen ANYTHING yet. Stick around :p:
Oldboy5745
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Banking without a degree usually ends something like this.
On a more serious note, like Focus said retail banking is probably more feasible than IB since competition is lower and the general level of skills required is less demanding.
JeRmYnStReEt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zweihander)
As someone pithily put it, the Investment Banking forum is the sole outcrop of brilliance sitting atop the vast sea of $hit that is TSR.
Well quite!

And in response to the officer query, the problem is that employers seem to think that officers are a little off the pace academically, although they are incredibly organized, well turned out and lead well. In the end it's a bit "tit for tat", so each employer has to judge each case on its merits, deciding whether or not to go for mature and experienced or academic prowess.
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
And in response to the officer query, the problem is that employers seem to think that officers are a little off the pace academically
That's only the case if they really are off the pace academically. If they have the requisite degrees, they are highly employable.

The problem you face coming out of the military is that your direct skills are only relevant for a very small field of jobs, especially if you have only done a short service commission. Therefore, you have to rely on your transferable skills, ie your leadership, teamwork, attention to detail, task focus etc.

In times when competition for jobs is high, like now and the next few years, employers are overwhelmed with applicants who have directly relevant prior experience, ie are just moving round companies in the industry, at the same or slightly higher levels. Companies don't need to and don't want to 'take a punt' on the transferable skills of an ex-army Captain when they can get guaranteed ability from a Manager coming from a competitor company. When the economy is expanding, it is much more inviting to bring in fresh blood and new thinking, ie take a chance on a candidate without direct experience but strong transferables.
Milch
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How very dare you.
Shadowman786
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi there,

I've been doing some pondering of late (always dangerous). Come the 19th of August I will know whether or not I have attained the 3 A's I need to get into university. If I don't get in the chances are that I will be forced to take a somewhat involuntary gap year (or should that be "yah"?!) which to be honest I really don't want to do. My original plan of "action" had been to go to university and then take up my place at Sandhurst. I would complete at least one operational tour at the sand pit, which would give me a very good idea as to whether I wished to stay in the army or then enter the city and make a bit more pin money!

If I don't make the grade then to be honest I'm not sure I really want to go to university, as the chance of finding the course I'm after, at a place I'd like to go without 3 A's is slim. As such I'm looking at the possibility of going straight into the city without a degree.

My father used to work in private banking in the city and by his reckoning it is possible to enter the city and be successful without a degree (despite being uni. educated himself). However my argument is that that is a dated situation and things are perhaps not quite like this anymore, in that anyone working in private/investment banking has had some sort of higher education.

So what I'm asking, really, is if anyone knows of any banks or companies that are not adverse to employing non-graduates. All opinions, anecdotes and soap boxes welcome!

Many thanks,
Will
Have you got your heart set on banking?

Firstly, banks may offer a 'kick-start' service (or more than before anyway). This means joining the banks straight out of A Levels. Do some research on it - I'm not sure what options are available but I believe JP Morgan offers this.

If you want to work specifically in financial services and want a broader career path, do not join retail banking, unless it's in their investment banking arm/head office/asset management - do not join as a customer service personnel in your local branh of Santander for example. Making the jump to the BO/MO/FO functions of the bank as a whole is nigh on impossible.

Another route would be accountancy firms - joining straight after A Levels, would mean 5 years to get the ACCA qualification. Some people may not value this route, but they're generally ignorant of what the ACCA offers you in terms of career progression. If you manage to do this at one of the Big4 or the next tier of reputable accountancy firms, you can easily slot into Risk Management, Product Control, Financial Control within investment banking. With a bit of perseverance and ingenuity, you could easily move into investment management/research/corporate finance etc...

Basically, it all comes down to how much effort you want to put in and whether you're willing to perhaps take route B, which is slightly more gruelling and tougher (and still no guarantees).
Bramlow
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's possible

manchild007
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Shadowman786)
Have you got your heart set on banking?

Firstly, banks may offer a 'kick-start' service (or more than before anyway). This means joining the banks straight out of A Levels. Do some research on it - I'm not sure what options are available but I believe JP Morgan offers this.
Calling others ignorant yet giving such ridiculous advice as this, I find very funny.

JPM have some crappy 3-day programme for A-level students, which basically consists of HR presentations; its a poor programme at that, as the spring-weeks actually have work=experience elements within them as well, where as this is just a babyish intro to JPM. How in the world you think this qualifies one to enter banking at JPM straight from A-levels is beyond me and moronic at worst for getting someone's hopes up/misinforming them in such a way.
JeRmYnStReEt
Rep:
?
(Original post by manchild007)
Calling others ignorant yet giving such ridiculous advice as this, I find very funny.

JPM have some crappy 3-day programme for A-level students, which basically consists of HR presentations; its a poor programme at that, as the spring-weeks actually have work=experience elements within them as well, where as this is just a babyish intro to JPM. How in the world you think this qualifies one to enter banking at JPM straight from A-levels is beyond me and moronic at worst for getting someone's hopes up/misinforming them in such a way.
Yeah I looked that up, however I wouldn't give him/her too much slack he/she was only trying to help!

Can you suggest any other way **

cheers,
Will

**This isn't a sarky or pugnacious comment I'm generally interested, but it's very difficult to convey that on a forum!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (178)
18.76%
No (572)
60.27%
Not really bothered about them (199)
20.97%

Watched Threads