Impulse/Momentum Question Watch

importunate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
A bullet of mass 60g is fired into a 20kg block of wood which is suspended on a light inextensible wire to form a ballistic pendulum. After penetration the bullet remains in the wood. The vertical position of the wood-bullet combination increases by 28cm. Calculate the velocity of the bullet?

I know that you will have to use conservation of momentum here... However I am unsure of how i am going to do this with the given information. Ant tips? thanks
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by importunate)
One way to do it is to start from the end and work backwards.

You know the height the pendulum rose to, hence you can work out it's velocity just after impact, from energy considerations.

Then use conservation of momentum to find the velocity of the bullet.
importunate
Rep:
?
thanks. got it.
importunate
Rep:
?
Thanks for all of the help...

However I am going to be cheeky now and ask for some help on another questions.

A cork ball of mass 100g at rest is released from a height of 8.5m about the launch of a 100g dart which is projected vertically upwards with an initial velocity of 12m/s. Upon impact the cork and the dart stick together. Calculate the velocity immediately after the collision.

My first thoughts on this are. I have to work out when the two items collide. I have to work out the velocities of the items before the collisions. I would then be able to use conservation of moment to work out the final velocity? Idea ideas of how else I should go about this?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by importunate)
Idea ideas of how else I should go about this?
Not off the top of my head.

Working out the time is quite easy if you use s=ut+1/2 at^2 for each, and realise that the sum of the distances is 8.5, and t will be the same for each.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (698)
80.51%
Leave (169)
19.49%

Watched Threads