Court summon for low tyre tread depth Watch

VersaEmerge
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi

In March I was involved in an accident just outside of my school. I was pulling out to park on the right hand side of the road and a cyclist hit into me and then proceeded to smash into another parked car. The police was called to the scene and the cyclist was taken away in an ambulance. He was out of hospital the same evening so the injury was not as serious as the police thought. My car was taken in for inspection and the front 2 tyres were found to have a tread depth of 1.3mm. I have since been visited by an officer to give an interview and he said that because the cyclist's injury was not as serious as they initially thought and that it was an accident I will not be charged for the collision but will be charged for the tyre tread.

I have now received the court summons paper and the are charging with two offenses of tyre tread. I have read that the maximum penalty is £2500 and 3 points PER TYRE! I was 1 at the time and passed my test in october 2009 so had been driving for less than 5 months at the time of the incident. I am 18 now and have a clean driving record. If I plead guilty should I expect to receive the maximum 6 points as I'm still in the first 2 years of passing my test so 6 points will get my licence revoked. Or will the judge not see this as a very serious case and take this into consideration and lower the penalty?

Please give any advice!
khaa9666
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
better get plenty of vasaline stocked up pal
Jake22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well, firstly, there is no point in pleading anything other than guilty as tyre tread depth is fairly indisputable.

I reckon that there is a good chance that they will take your situation into account - I imagine you will get something like 3 points and a £2-300 fine.
Mann18
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I doubt you'll get the maximum.
Just be as polite and apologetic as possible, as long as you aren't an absolute prick, you should get off lightly.
When I watched some cases in the magristrate's court, the only person to be hit by anything near the maximum fine was this absolute **** who swore at the magistrates whilst they were talking to him.
Clever boy.
HumorousGent.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
they may consider it as one offence and give you 3 points rather than 6, + a fine.

how exactly did the cyclist manage to crash into you? did you just pull out without looking properly?
Arekkusu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Time to break out the canoe.
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 8 years ago
More than likely the case will be adjourned for about 4 years and then the case will be dropped. That's the way it seems to go anyway.

How can you not notice the tyres going almost bald anyway? Just wondering... They're the only contact you have with the road so I thought people would be inspecting them and keeping them as fresh as possible.
Bunkd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would be polite and stress the fact that, though technically you were breaking the law in having such bald tyres, it was simply negligence - in part due to being a new driver - and that you've learnt your lesson. Also, in particular that the actual injury doesn't seem to have anything to do with braking distance - since you were parking (unless I've misunderstood).
M1F2R3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You were lucky the cyclist wasn't seriously hurt, even if it was his fault. My friend is facing a prison sentence for dangerous driving because he killed a biker who had no lights on [so my friend says].
VersaEmerge
Rep:
?
(Original post by HumorousGent.)
they may consider it as one offence and give you 3 points rather than 6, + a fine.

how exactly did the cyclist manage to crash into you? did you just pull out without looking properly?
he was flying round the corner and tried to overtake me. checked mirrors and signalled and everything but he was just going way too fast round the corner so smashed into me. it was downhill aswel so im guessing he couldnt brake
Jez RR
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You're not much under the legal tread depth minimum anyway (1.6mm) so I doubt they'll throw the book at you. Unfortunate thing to happen though.

Personally I change my tyres long before they get that worn, but the irony is that on a motorbike the minimum legal tread depth is 1mm.
BandManDan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When I first started driving I used to drive the tyres down until metal wire was protruding from the canvas. If I couldn't cut my hand when feeling the tyre tread, they were still okay.

If there is still rubber on them then they're fine.

If there is canvass showing then it's time to start saving.

If the metal wire is coming out, think about getting them changed.
Idiot-Finder
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by M1F2R3)
You were lucky the cyclist wasn't seriously hurt, even if it was his fault. My friend is facing a prison sentence for dangerous driving because he killed a biker who had no lights on [so my friend says].
If the bike had no lights on, I doubt it would be going to court.
VersaEmerge
Rep:
?
(Original post by BandManDan)
When I first started driving I used to drive the tyres down until metal wire was protruding from the canvas. If I couldn't cut my hand when feeling the tyre tread, they were still okay.

If there is still rubber on them then they're fine.

If there is canvass showing then it's time to start saving.

If the metal wire is coming out, think about getting them changed.
great advice there mate...
VersaEmerge
Rep:
?
(Original post by Idiot-Finder)
If the bike had no lights on, I doubt it would be going to court.
well he probably would since someone died
Idiot-Finder
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by VersaEmerge)
well he probably would since someone died
Coroner would probably decide.
Megaross
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You've failed to maintain the only thing keeping your car in contact with the earth, it's completely your fault and indisputable.
Personally? I hope they throw the book at you.
But I expect they'll go lenient as a first offence.
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hopefully they will be lenient on you if you are nice.

As people have said, you are guilty so should plead it.

I wouldn't mention the accident unless it is brought up- it's irrelevant to the case, which is about the tyre treads, so I don't see why it should be brought up.

Just make sure you show remorse, and stress that you have learnt your lesson.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Courts don't usually have any discretion over the points awarded for motoring offences, no matter how nice or pleading you are. You need to check the precise nature, and perhaps have a chat with a solicitor.
Riderz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jacketpotato)
Courts don't usually have any discretion over the points awarded for motoring offences, no matter how nice or pleading you are. You need to check the precise nature, and perhaps have a chat with a solicitor.
Of course they do. If its gone to court the judge can decide what to do between letting you off and throwing the book at you. There are some offences which carry statutory punishments - drink driving, death by dangerous, etc, but not many and tyre depth certainly isnt one of them.

You'll get 3 points and a couple of hundred quid fine. Say your sorry, and that you hadnt noticed, wasnt much under the limit, clean driving record, blah blah blah.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.14%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.43%

Watched Threads