Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi not really a big user of tsr but it seems full of people willing to help!

Basically i want to study Anthropology at Uni im appllying for 2011 so next application. My GCSE's are pretty avrg 2A*4A 3B however i have pulled it up and im looking for 4 A's this summer think its quite realistic seeing as thats what i was predicted. Ive looked at a few uni's and i really really like the LSE course and have been told by teachers that if i get the grades this summer i could look at oxford! but i dont know if my gcse's will really let me down. However my PS is looking really good full of travel exp, work exp and academic extra cirriculars like an elite essay society i got into and music achieements e.g. grade 7 singing and i recently sung with the Ronnie Scotts jazz band! So i was just wondering what else i can do ive started reading some stuff??? and especially for cambridge what else do i need?? any experience in the uni's or the course would be great to hear abou!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Oxford and LSE will consider all parts of your application, so I don't think your GCSEs are a barrier, no.

Make sure you include why you are enthusiastic about studying Anthropology in your PS, and how the reading you've done has helped you to understand it/show you more about it. Especially because it's a subject you don't study at A-level; show you know what it really is.

Unless the work/travel experience/extra-curriculars is relevant then I would keep it brief.

I don't know if Oxford requires a test or samples of written work, but if they do then spend time preparing for that too.

What subjects have you taken at A-level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morrisajm)
    Hi not really a big user of tsr but it seems full of people willing to help!

Basically i want to study Anthropology at Uni im appllying for 2011 so next application. My GCSE's are pretty avrg 2A*4A 3B however i have pulled it up and im looking for 4 A's this summer think its quite realistic seeing as thats what i was predicted. Come back when you've actually got your results. Ive looked at a few uni's and i really really like the LSE course and have been told by teachers that if i get the grades this summer i could look at oxford! but i dont know if my gcse's will really let me down. Some unis may have an automatic cut off point but most will look at the whole application. However my PS is looking really good full of travel exp, work exp and academic extra cirriculars like an elite essay society i got into What on earth is an elite essay society? :lolwut: Make sure your academic ECs are actually related to anthropology, otherwise they're just ordinary ECs. andmusic achieements e.g. grade 7 singing and i recently sung with the Ronnie Scotts jazz band! Awesome but a bunch of anthropologists aren't going to care! So i was just wondering what else i can do ive started reading some stuff??? and especially for cambridge do you mean Oxford? You might want to make a decision there.... :rolleyes: what else do i need?? You seem pretty set up tbh.

Thanks
    I don't think anthropology is as competitive as other subjects. You seem like you're on the right track though so best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys! well i do economics, geography and history and i just dropped English lit as an AS. I know Oxford requires 2 pieces of written work from 2 subjects how do i select these on the grades i got or shall i write new ones any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    The essay society is some fancy thing at the stupid private dschool my parents send me to it is basically where you submit an essay and you get to have dinner with famous figures e.g. george alagiah of BBC news and Lord Ashcroft that visit the school and have regular discussions. Sounds pretencious i know!!

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.