Turn on thread page Beta

traffic islands to slow traffic down ? sain or not sain? watch

ReputationRep:
    ha well i never visited England ... i only know of it from the movies.....

In Holland one day they made a solution against road-pirates..... they where driving to fast through the litlle villages where children where playing with accidents ands so

so throughout hole Holland they made a sort of sollution ......they ve made special traffic islands......wich is a sort of bump in the road and yeah if one doesnt slow down then u sort of crash your car on it.... ( the lower parts of the car go damaged if one doesnt slow down )

It works like hell ..... u have absolutly got to slow down...... but yeah its also very unpleasant because u bump up and down all the time.....

So man yes i visited France a few times.....and there where no bumps in the road at all hey? and the people just drive slow by nature......

Do u also have these things in the UK? And what do u think of them? It works ....thats for sure...... But yeah they make driving an absolute pain in the *ss

greetings from holland

ReputationRep:
    Speed humps?

We do have them here and I detest them because they don't just punish people going too fast, but punish all road users.

I also believe they cause damage to tyre walls. I'm sure we can all imagine the possible consequences of a high speed tyre blowout on a motorway.

Too much public money is being spent on these evil things and not enough on keeping the state of public roads in good order.

The French, for all their faults, have very good, well maintained roads and would never put up with these monstrocities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    Speed humps?

monstrocities.
    ha oke so i am not the only one? ha ha oke...... in france on my vacation lots of people where drinking wine and where driving..... the police was nowhere to be found and al the people where driving like babies ( very calm and tender )

i dont understand why not a police man can just arrest somebody for driving agressive....( in between the boundries of the speedlimits )

ReputationRep:
    I also believe they cause damage to tyre walls.
    not to mention the increased wear of suspension components!

they're a menace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edwinemanuelposse)
    ha oke so i am not the only one? ha ha oke...... in france on my vacation lots of people where drinking wine and where driving..... the police was nowhere to be found and al the people where driving like babies ( very calm and tender )

i dont understand why not a police man can just arrest somebody for driving agressive....( in between the boundries of the speedlimits )

France is a strange place. They have lots of rules, in fact they have rules on pretty much everything, and yet the locals seem to ignore them and get away with it.

British drivers in France often get pulled over by the police checking whether they have orange high-visibility jackets and warning triangles and things. Yet, as you say, they seemingly rarely deal with the native drink-drivers who are a massive problem in France.

I agree with you. A policeman is always much better at dealing with bad motorists than some hump in the road!

ReputationRep:
    what i also read on www

these bumps force one to slow down and to accelerate wich creates more polution and also more noise ( wich is a nagative thing )

ReputationRep:
    in my area there is like chicane things instead of speed bumps. Which is great cos I hate speed bumps.

ReputationRep:
    I went through a few towns in france that had STOP signs all the way through villages on main road. They were damn annoying when there wasn't a car for miles around

ReputationRep:
    too many traffic lights slows people down the most!

ReputationRep:

France is a strange place. they seemingly rarely deal with the native drink-drivers who are a massive problem in France.
    ha ha luckily for u and for the whole of britain perhaps i am not in power.... because yeah i have this own philosophy about drinking and driving hey?

i live in a poor neighbour hood in holland and there nobody drinks and drives ( often also by religion )

but boohooh man the number of *ssh*les isnt at all low where i live ..... sober as they are they gass a lot with their cars very agressivly through the narrow streets.......

its in holland forbidden to drink and drive but unfortinatly its not forbidden to drive like an ass**wh*le hey?

The few times in France when i visited..... i absolutly encountered zero agressive drivers on the road......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ticklemeellen)
    in my area there is like chicane things instead of speed bumps. Which is great cos I hate speed bumps.
    one road in my town has both!

it's a shame, because it was resurfaced fairly recently, so it's smooth and quiet (lovely for drivers and residents alike) except for, oh... the ruddy great bumps every 50m. brilliant!

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.