Training Contract Provider Expectations Watch

ziezou
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

I have started applying for training contracts but I have pritty average GCSE'S and poor A-Levels but have a 2.1 with a bit of legal expereince but I was wondering do A-Levels and GCSE'S matter to the firms will they disregard my application becuase of poor A-levels?

Many Thanks in advance
Fysidiko
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What are "poor A-levels"?

The truth is that some firms, particularly the larger ones, have an automatic screening system that will filter out your application if your A levels aren't up to scratch (which normally means BBB at the lowest, sometimes more) and you don't have mitigating circumstances. But not all firms operate that sort of system. If you're worried give them a ring and ask before you waste time on an application; worst thing they can say is that they won't consider your application, in which case you've saved yourself a day's work, and it might help your chances.

If you want advice on the strength of your application you need to give us your average mark, your university (this does matter - I saw one application booklet today that said that applicants should have a "2.2 from Oxbridge or a redbrick university"(!)) and what exactly the "poor" A levels are.
QBC123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
From what I've heard A-levels are important at 2 points, at the begining of consideration of apps as there is usually a threshold that if you don't reach you are rejected automatically (BBB or ABB). Also as I understand A-levels become important in differentiating between 2 similar candidates as strong A-levels and a 2.1 show consistency as opposed to poor A-levels and a 2.1! As for GCSEs most law firms I have spoken to say they are given little to no regard but I can imagine them being used if they are really stuck between 2 candidates! So ya it depends how badly you did at A-level and might even come down to resits... I've filled out online app forms for firms where you have to state any resits you did and the outcome of the resit!

Good luck!

(Original post by Fysidiko)
What are "poor A-levels"?

The truth is that some firms, particularly the larger ones, have an automatic screening system that will filter out your application if your A levels aren't up to scratch (which normally means BBB at the lowest, sometimes more) and you don't have mitigating circumstances. But not all firms operate that sort of system. If you're worried give them a ring and ask before you waste time on an application; worst thing they can say is that they won't consider your application, in which case you've saved yourself a day's work, and it might help your chances.

If you want advice on the strength of your application you need to give us your average mark, your university (this does matter - I saw one application booklet today that said that applicants should have a "2.2 from Oxbridge or a redbrick university"(!)) and what exactly the "poor" A levels are.
Can I ask which firm this was for? Is Durham considered 'redbrick'?
Fysidiko
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by QBC123)
Can I ask which firm this was for? Is Durham considered 'redbrick'?
Sorry, my mistake - it in fact asks for "Russell group" not "redbrick". Amusingly Durham isn't in the Russell group so they apparently wouldn't consider Durham graduates - just shows how stupid these criteria can be I suppose.
The firm was Rowlands Solicitors - not somewhere I'm applying myself, but there was a thread asking about firms in Manchester and they popped up when I googled it.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (178)
18.72%
No (573)
60.25%
Not really bothered about them (200)
21.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise