Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, found this telesales job on the Job Seekers website. I rang them up had an interview immediately. Then just over an hour later, I received a phone call telling me that I have got the job and start tomorrow.

But I researched the company and it has existed since February, well the website has.

Then the interview was very informal, didn't even ask for my CV, just wanted to know my work experience. Then they told me what the company do. The boss even swore at the employees like saying 'Get the **** out of here I'm having an interview'.

They told me for the first week it is commission ONLY!! Where I receive £30 on a £99 sale.

Basically I sell websites to small-medium businesses and Google Ads.

Does it seem dodgy? Or is this how telesale jobs are. The office of the company has one entrance and is basically one big from split up with like 5-7computers and telephones.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well I work in a telesales job that has a base salary of £14,800 and if I meet targets I go up a pay grade each time, to a maximum of potentially £23,000.

I would be very careful about this job - if its commission only for the first week just think how much there is to learn and how you'll cope. You could potentially earn nothing!

How would you feel about having so much pressure on you to seel that you become an annoying sales prick? At least in my job, a sales job with a base salary, I can just let the ones I can't sell to or don't want to push go and still take home money at the end of the day.

That said, my job is just a stop-gap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndySpeed)
    Well I work in a telesales job that has a base salary of £14,800 and if I meet targets I go up a pay grade each time, to a maximum of potentially £23,000.

I would be very careful about this job - if its commission only for the first week just think how much there is to learn and how you'll cope. You could potentially earn nothing!

How would you feel about having so much pressure on you to seel that you become an annoying sales prick? At least in my job, a sales job with a base salary, I can just let the ones I can't sell to or don't want to push go and still take home money at the end of the day.

That said, my job is just a stop-gap.
    He said it is commission only for the first 4weeks because too see if I like the job or not etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amit92)
    He said it is commission only for the first 4weeks because too see if I like the job or not etc.
    What a load of ********! I'm sure you would like the job more if you had a basic wage - then they'd be more like to retain you.

More likely it's to see how much they can get away with and so that they're not paying (in their eyes wasting their money on) someone who can't sell what they want or as much as they want.

Without a contract - and without a wage or salary - you're asking to be screwed over in a job like this.

The fact that this bozo would openly swear whilst on the phone to a prospective employee shows a lack of professionalism and laissez-faire attitude to the job - and probably yourself as well should you take it.

Be very cautious if you proceed...

ReputationRep:
    What a load of ********! I'm sure you would like the job more if you had a basic wage - then they'd be more like to retain you.

More likely it's to see how much they can get away with and so that they're not paying (in their eyes wasting their money on) someone who can't sell what they want or as much as they want.

Without a contract - and without a wage or salary - you're asking to be screwed over in a job like this.

The fact that this bozo would openly swear whilst on the phone to a prospective employee shows a lack of professionalism and laissez-faire attitude to the job - and probably yourself as well should you take it.

I need the money, I shall see how the first day goes. He only wanted my mobile number and name aswell. No address!

ReputationRep:

I hope I don't get conned either.

ReputationRep:
    Can you let us know the outcome of your job then? Would be interesting to know.

ReputationRep:
    Can you let us know the outcome of your job then? Would be interesting to know.
    Went today, was quite fun. But made no sales. Basically if I sell a £99 deal I get £50 and if we drop the price to £49 to the customer, I get £30.

Today I must have phoned over 100 firms and they all said no. So no money today . It is called Search Engine Optimisation for Google. Basically get companies in the orange sponsored box on page1 of Google.

If I get no sales by the end of the week, I am going to quit and find a paid telesales job on a wage even if the commission is lower.

ReputationRep:
    Glad it went alright. I know from my experience that some days sales are hard and on others they just fall into your lap - if you can work with such inconsistencies then you should be OK - as long as you get the sales coming in sooner rather than later!

I hope your product is actually sellable - not even getting 1 sale out of around 100 is tough going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amit92)
    Went today, was quite fun. But made no sales. Basically if I sell a £99 deal I get £50 and if we drop the price to £49 to the customer, I get £30.

Today I must have phoned over 100 firms and they all said no. So no money today . It is called Search Engine Optimisation for Google. Basically get companies in the orange sponsored box on page1 of Google.

If I get no sales by the end of the week, I am going to quit and find a paid telesales job on a wage even if the commission is lower.

This is really common after the 4 weeks they wont pay you minimum wage you probably wont even make £2 an hour overall.

ReputationRep:
    My wage is basically £60 and I started on Wednesday, It 9-5. Pretty crap tbh.

Basically we sell Page1 allocation on Google at the top in the sponsored links section.

ReputationRep:
    Think this job is a keeper, worked Mon-Thur 9-5, made £200

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.