Waste of a Life... Watch

JakeM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I work in the NHS, I am proud to say this to people. Although my role is not exactly a "life saving" job I feel I have an impact on patients needs etc.

A Channel 4 Documentary named "The Hospital" that has been broadcasting on and off for a number of months keeps throwing people the scare tactics of how the younger generation are damaging the NHS and how it will not exist if we carry on.

At the start of the programs a number of NHS Professionals say how some young people are a waste of a life... My belief is that no life is a waste - at all. Im not exactly religious but I think everyone is here for a purpose and things happen for a reason.

Do any of you actually think a life is a waste, if so why?

One example some people do say is a waste of life, is 18 year olds who just get drunk and take drugs, why is that a waste of life? Life does not mean have an education, jump to work, retire and then die.. You live life how you want to live it. Another example I hear is murderers and paedophiles and rapists, I have no argument against that example but I still do not see it a waste of life, more disappointing.
Blueflare
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think that anyone is a waste of life to the extent that they don't deserve to live at all but... some people don't have any purpose. People who just go around drinking, taking drugs and not giving a ****, end up having a kid or 6, say they're dedicated to them when in actual fact all they do as parents is stick them in front of the TV while they continue to doss about, causing the cycle to go on, and on, and on...
doivid
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JakeM)
I agree with you. We are all given one life and the decisions we make concerning our life should be respected, unless this directly impacts the life of another (for example through murder). People who work in healthcare, for example doctors and nurses, should always aim to preserve life and I would be concerned about the competency of healthcare workers who do not view a life as worth saving.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well it is a waste if said life is spent sitting around drinking cider and scounging everything you can from the government.
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had a friend who died recently - she was 19, had a place at medical school, had spent her life fund raising for humanitarian aid charities and was honest to God one of the most selfless people I've ever met. Nothing was ever too much trouble for her; she always had a smile on her face and when things were hard for her she put up with it with grace. She had a great deal of allergies and even when they flared up and left her bed ridden for days she never complained. Now that is a waste of life to me. And it makes me quite sick to think that there are people around who do nothing with their lives and do bad stuff when she died so early.

BUT. Equally. Everyone in the world touches more than one person, in a positive manner. Or at least, I believe they do. So any loss of life is a waste. And who's to say that when those teenagers get over the drinking every night phase they won't go on to be something amazing?
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
I had a friend who died recently - she was 19, had a place at medical school, had spent her life fund raising for humanitarian aid charities and was honest to God one of the most selfless people I've ever met. Nothing was ever too much trouble for her; she always had a smile on her face and when things were hard for her she put up with it with grace. She had a great deal of allergies and even when they flared up and left her bed ridden for days she never complained. Now that is a waste of life to me. And it makes me quite sick to think that there are people around who do nothing with their lives and do bad stuff when she died so early.

BUT. Equally. Everyone in the world touches more than one person, in a positive manner. Or at least, I believe they do. So any loss of life is a waste. And who's to say that when those teenagers get over the drinking every night phase they won't go on to be something amazing?
You know it. :sexface:

On a more serious note, I'm sorry for your loss. It's never easy when someone close to you dies. :sad:

I can't remember what the point of the thread was now. :iiam:
Flying Scotsman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
All life is a waste.

It doesn't matter what you do in this lifetime, the outcome will always be the same.

Life has no meaning or purpose, so I guess I believe the complete opposite to you OP.
DanMey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
there isn´t any sense of life so there cannot be anything like a waste of life
kitkat01
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
Taking drugs and binge drinking is not a 'waste of life' its a choice of life. Some people may find it fun and want to live their life on more of the wild side. You only live once.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (178)
18.72%
No (573)
60.25%
Not really bothered about them (200)
21.03%

Watched Threads