The Student Room Group

Can you be too good for a course (A102)?

I really want to study medicine and have been looking at universities. While doing so I stumbled across a course at Southampton that is specifically set up to widen access into medicine and I meet the entry requirements for it. The thing is for the course the entry requirements (grade wise) are really low and I’m wondering whether having good grades (average for A100 entry) would mean that you’re unlikely to get in?

Here's the course:
http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad/course/bm6/entry/

(sorry if I sound arrogant :o:)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Connor132
I really want to study medicine and have been looking at universities. While doing so I stumbled across a course at Southampton that is specifically set up to widen access into medicine and I meet the entry requirements for it. The thing is for the course the entry requirements (grade wise) are really low and I’m wondering whether having good grades (average for A100 entry) would mean that you’re unlikely to get in, because the course just seems to be for those who didn’t try in school?

Here's the course:
http://www.som.soton.ac.uk/undergrad/course/bm6/entry/

Tbh, if you've got good grades, the idea of the year zero of the 6 year course (once you've passed the year zero, you're allowed straight onto the BM5 course) wouldn't help you much. The first/zero year is about getting students up to the required level (so one would assume those who haven't got the AAA in the Sciences or whatever) in order to then start on the 5 year course. You also have to meet some of the criteria:

You must satisfy two of the eligibility criteria listed below in order to be eligible for the BM6 programme, and you must be expected to provide documentary proof.

First generation applicant to higher education

Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit

Looked after young people living in supported accommodation

In receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) of similar grant

Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

Graduate and international applicants are not eligible to apply of this programme.
Reply 2
Connor132
I really want to study medicine and have been looking at universities. While doing so I stumbled across a course at Southampton that is specifically set up to widen access into medicine and I meet the entry requirements for it. The thing is for the course the entry requirements (grade wise) are really low and I’m wondering whether having good grades (average for A100 entry) would mean that you’re unlikely to get in, because the course just seems to be for those who didn’t try in school?

HAHA!

the problem is that you ARE, but you dont believe you are.

enter it if you qualify, that is all.
Reply 3
Gizmo!
HAHA!

It's hardly arrogant, but could you explain why you think that?

The course states that it's specifically set-up to widen access into medicine for those who come from a disadvantaged background. I (being from one) find it patronising that the only way to encourage people from “that background” is to set the grade requirements so low - because we're inheritly stupid.

You can’t deny that to just achieve the minimum grade (BCC at Alevel and 5 A*-Cs at GCSE) you couldn’t have been working that hard at school (and if you were you, most likely, really struggle when it gets to the 5 year med course).
Reply 4
apotoftea
Tbh, if you've got good grades, the idea of the year zero of the 6 year course (once you've passed the year zero, you're allowed straight onto the BM5 course) wouldn't help you much. The first/zero year is about getting students up to the required level (so one would assume those who haven't got the AAA in the Sciences or whatever) in order to then start on the 5 year course. You also have to meet some of the criteria:

You must satisfy two of the eligibility criteria listed below in order to be eligible for the BM6 programme, and you must be expected to provide documentary proof.

First generation applicant to higher education

Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit

Looked after young people living in supported accommodation

In receipt of an EMA (Education Maintenance Award) of similar grant

Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

Graduate and international applicants are not eligible to apply of this programme.

Hmm true. I easily fulfil the requirements (4/5), but because I’m almost desperate to study medicine this sort of seemed like a “safer/easier” route in then just A100. Thanks for the advice I’ll probably just go for the normal entry route aside from being a wasted year, it’s pretty greedy to essentially block someone else, who would have benefited from the access course, to make it easier for me.
Reply 5
Connor132
Hmm true. I easily fulfil the requirements (4/5), but because I’m almost desperate to study medicine this sort of seemed like a “safer/easier” route in then just A100. Thanks for the advice I’ll probably just go for the normal entry route aside from being a wasted year, it’s pretty greedy to essentially block someone else, who would have benefited from the access course, to make it easier for me.

If you are capable of studying medicine without a foundation year then if you did get rejected from all your four choices then you could simply apply again in a years time (and hopefully receive an offer). You will have essentially lost no time over the foundation course because people studying the foundation course will be studying during your gap year.
Could you apply for 4 medical schools and then for ur 5th apply for the foundation? or for 3 and the foundation as ur 4th? if ur too good they might just offer u immediate access onto the southampton course anyway.. but if u have the grade requirements, may i ask why you want to do a foundation?
Reply 7
Connor132
You can’t deny that to just achieve the minimum grade (BCC at Alevel and 5 A*-Cs at GCSE) you couldn’t have been working that hard at school (and if you were you, most likely, really struggle when it gets to the 5 year med course).

I am a final year medical student who did BM6. I acheived over the minimum at GCSE, got around the minimum at A level.

I did work hard at school, very hard.

I have not struggled (academically) with medical school at all. A levels were much harder for me. Granted I had other stuff going on, but even when I look at A level chemistry now, it makes very little sense to me. I'm not stupid, and as long as nothing goes drastically wrong, i'm going to be a doctor next year.

And yes, you do sound arrogant.
Reply 8
Connor132

Tbh, if you've got the required grades for the BM5 and the eligibility of the BM6 you'll have a good chance of getting onto the BM5 given universities are all about widening opportunities as it were.

Like someone else has said, could you use it as your 4th choice? That way if you get other offers, you can withdraw from it?
Reply 9
Connor132

because your immediate choice of word is 'too good for' - your natural first thought is to consider yourself above it, by proxy, or else you would have used other words as your immediate first choice.
at the moment, you dont have a place there, so you dont even know that you are too good. at least you are asking, mind.

The course states that it's specifically set-up to widen access into medicine for those who come from a disadvantaged background. I (being from one) find it patronising that the only way to encourage people from “that background” is to set the grade requirements so low - because we're inheritly stupid.
its your stupidity thats the problem, caged away in your little textbook comfortable world. if you were disadvantaged, you would know its not the case you describe.

nothing irritates me more than 'failed etonians' and their ilk trying to pretend that they are disadvantaged. please dont tell me that you are one.

you have no idea what it takes to study medicine, so why the ' you cant deny' crap?
talking about things you know nothing about, as if you know everything about it isnt a good start.
Reply 10

Its not because they think people from certain life groups are stupid but that those people may not of been given the best opportunities.

When I was at school doing my GCSE's in '99 the school I was at didn't instill any importance in revision we weren't taught exam technique and the classes I were in were really badly disrupted by kids who didn't want to be there at all.

Very very clever people will likely get high grades no matter what but a step down at just clever they might not get straight A*s if they have a very disrupted school life. People who might be perfectly suited to the profession but miss the grades through situational problems.

In contrast to my school life where I wasn't taught at all about the important of revision is a young girl I know she had assessments on the type of learner she is and then based on those results was taught how to learn, remember and revise effectively coupled with exam technique and learning what examiners were looking for.
BM6 isn't aimed at stupid people or for people who don't try at school, rather it's for people who have the POTENTIAL to be good despite their harsh backgrounds. For example they may have had to work part time to support family and study along side, or support a disabled family member while studying and so on.

I'm predicted AAAA (maths,chem,bio, eco) at A/level (I hope I get this). You might be wondering why on earth I'm doing the bm6?
I have very poor GCSEs. I only got CC in GCSE science (due to mitigating circumstances). I self learned the whole bloody GCSE sciences before starting college, I moved a college (from school) so I'd be somewhere with no distractions from past friends. I worked my frikin' socks off for the 2 years at A/level to prove that I'm good enough.
Despite all of this many medical schools did fail to over look my GCSE science. I couldn't apply to bunch of them as I didn't even meet the GCSE requirments and when I contacted them they straight out told me to not apply (for example nottingham - those buggers who needs them anyway :p:
Sarky
but even when I look at A level chemistry now, it makes very little sense to me. I'm not stupidd

I knew A-level chemistry was a waste of time! :p:

I doubt I'm going to make my offer due to not getting an A in chemistry, as didn't finish the exam! Saddens me that I won't be able to get in for that :frown:
Reply 13
Gizmo!

because your immediate choice of word is 'too good for' - your natural first thought is to consider yourself above it, by proxy, or else you would have used other words as your immediate first choice.
at the moment, you dont have a place there, so you dont even know that you are too good. at least you are asking, mind.

If you bothered to read the OP then you would have seen that it was a problem of whether my grades were to good for that type of course (based on it's requirements/purpose) - why would I want to apply if I considered myself above it? Although it was badly worded

its your stupidity thats the problem, caged away in your little textbook comfortable world. if you were disadvantaged, you would know its not the case you describe.

I really don't know what you mean by this?

nothing irritates me more than 'failed etonians' and their ilk trying to pretend that they are disadvantaged. please dont tell me that you are one.

Okay I really don't see your problem with me!?! I'm amazed that you class me as a "failed etonian", what was the basis for this?

you have no idea what it takes to study medicine, so why the ' you cant deny' crap?
talking about things you know nothing about, as if you know everything about it isnt a good start.
I don't claim I know everything, but the people who I have spoken to/seen on here have all said that medicine is a demanding course.

Reply 14
New Username
BM6 isn't aimed at stupid people or for people who don't try at school, rather it's for people who have the POTENTIAL to be good despite their harsh backgrounds. For example they may have had to work part time to support family and study along side, or support a disabled family member while studying and so on.

I'm predicted AAAA (maths,chem,bio, chem) at A/level (I hope I get this). You might be wondering why on earth I'm doing the bm6?
I have very poor GCSEs. I only got CC in GCSE science (due to mitigating circumstances). I self learned the whole bloody GCSE sciences before starting college, I moved a college (from school) so I'd be somewhere with no distractions from past friends. I worked my frikin' socks off for the 2 years at A/level to prove that I'm good enough.
Despite all of this many medical schools did fail to over look my GCSE science. I couldn't apply to bunch of them as I didn't even meet the GCSE requirments and when I contacted them they straight out told me to not apply (for example nottingham - those buggers who needs them anyway :p:

Sorry if it came across that I thought it was solely for "stupid people", what I was wondering whether you would be disadvantaged having grades which exceeded the entry requirements by quite alot or whether it was solely for those with lower grades.
Reply 15
New Username

I'm predicted AAAA (maths,chem,bio, chem) at A/level (I hope I get this). You might be wondering why on earth I'm doing the bm6?

Sarky
I am a final year medical student who did BM6. I acheived over the minimum at GCSE, got around the minimum at A level.

I did work hard at school, very hard.

I have not struggled (academically) with medical school at all. A levels were much harder for me. Granted I had other stuff going on, but even when I look at A level chemistry now, it makes very little sense to me. I'm not stupid, and as long as nothing goes drastically wrong, i'm going to be a doctor next year.

And yes, you do sound arrogant.

I just wanted to apologise to both of you. In my OP I know I came across as rude about the course and I know that good grades =/= a good doctor (for a variety of reasons). I know the sole reason (aside from working hard) I got fairly good grades was because I was lucky enough to go to a good school, but when typing the qu I didn't really think about the reasons for some people getting lower grades.

My main query was whether the course accepted people with grades above the min. requirements
Reply 16

My main query was whether the course accepted people with grades above the min. requirements

Someone over in the vet forum has an offer for gateway (the vet equiv to this course) at CCC and an offer to the 5 year course at AAB. I think this is a good position to be in as it really takes the pressure off. I'd love to hold those 2 offers in 2 years time, I know I should be capable of AAB but if something goes awry and you miss a couple of points you know your still going to be able to follow your lifelong dream.

I imagine medicine's gateway course will be similarly run to vets so your probably fine to apply the only thing is if your confident in getting the top grades only apply to one gateway course as a back up otherwise you run the risk of a pointless extra year of debt added to your degree.
Reply 17
The OP stinks of arrogance/superiority.
If you have AAA/AAB (and a decent set of GCSE grades that are ,shall we say, relevant to Medicine)then go for BM5 if not then go for BM6.
Reply 18
Connor132
I just wanted to apologise to both of you. In my OP I know I came across as rude about the course and I know that good grades =/= a good doctor (for a variety of reasons). I know the sole reason (aside from working hard) I got fairly good grades was because I was lucky enough to go to a good school, but when typing the qu I didn't really think about the reasons for some people getting lower grades.

hi connor. sorry if i sounded harsh, but its probably a bit much for me to expect you to see applications in terms of 'best fit'and 'lesser fit' rather than too good when you are young. its clear that you ave buffers in place to set that view right.

i am not at all bothered about being PC - I dont really care if we call all medics geniuses and all biomeds crets, or whatever. I am concerned about your personal development, and the mindset that would allow you to word your title as it is.

this may sound controversial, but if you are from a poor background, and qualify for BM6, then please do go ahead with the application there even if you do ave A grades, it wont affect your application.
Reply 19
Gizmo!
hi connor. sorry if i sounded harsh, but its probably a bit much for me to expect you to see applications in terms of 'best fit'and 'lesser fit' rather than too good when you are young. its clear that you ave buffers in place to set that view right.

i am not at all bothered about being PC - I dont really care if we call all medics geniuses and all biomeds crets, or whatever. I am concerned about your personal development, and the mindset that would allow you to word your title as it is.

this may sound controversial, but if you are from a poor background, and qualify for BM6, then please do go ahead with the application there even if you do ave A grades, it wont affect your application.

Very diplomatic and generous of you there Gizmo.

And OP Gizmo is actually talking sense there. Put your pre conceived ideas to one side, if you wish to become a medic and there is an opportunity to become one, then grasp it with both hands, simple.

Latest

Trending

Trending