Turn on thread page Beta

my ISP customer service is making life as difficult as possible..... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I called their 'technical support' today and spend 2 hours trying to get some answers out of them, but they seem to be more interested in trying their best to piss me off. I've have re-directed all over the place and have been told different things by different people that I've chatted to.

In the end, I became more confused that I was at the start. One of my simple questions to them was ''what broadband speed is my line capable of?'' (apparently, this is the line between my house and the telephone exchange)

my conversation with them got me absolutely nowhere. So can someone tell me how can I find the broadband speed that my line is capable of, and if upgrading to another package deal would improve the speed at all? (e.g if the line is only capable of 1mb, then upgrading to a package promising 6mb would be pointless?)

OR would the line have to be dug up, taken down and be replaced in order to get improvements.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...oadband/faster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    Ok, I called their 'technical support' today and spend 2 hours trying to get some answers out of them, but they seem to be more interested in trying their best to piss me off. I've have re-directed all over the place and have been told different things by different people that I've chatted to.

In the end, I became more confused that I was at the start. One of my simple questions to them was ''what broadband speed is my line capable of?'' (apparently, this is the line between my house and the telephone exchange)

my conversation with them got me absolutely nowhere. So can someone tell me how can I find the broadband speed that my line is capable of, and if upgrading to another package deal would improve the speed at all? (e.g if the line is only capable of 1mb, then upgrading to a package promising 6mb would be pointless?)

OR would the line have to be dug up, taken down and be replaced in order to get improvements.
    If you can find your line statistics from your router you should be able to find the max speed of your line.

Things to look out for are
    -Line Attenuation
    -SNR Margin
    -DSL type

This should give a good indication of the line's prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Repressor)
    If you can find your line statistics from your router you should be able to find the max speed of your line.

Things to look out for are
    -Line Attenuation
    -SNR Margin
    -DSL type

This should give a good indication of the line's prospects.
    where in my router would I be able to find these line statistics?

and what exactly am I looking for when you've listed:
    -Line Attenuation
    -SNR Margin
    -DSL type

low, high numbers? and exactly do they mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)

People rarely get the broadband they pay for, especially in rural areas. It's a fact of life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesalamander123)
    People rarely get the broadband they pay for, especially in rural areas. It's a fact of life

I'm getting 0.5mb......

but anyway, all I wanted to ask them was whether my line is able to handle greater speeds than 0.5mb, can't even get a straight answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    where in my router would I be able to find these line statistics?

and what exactly am I looking for when you've listed:
    -Line Attenuation
    -SNR Margin
    -DSL type

low, high numbers? and exactly do they mean?
    Attenuation is proportional to how long your line is. This number can be from 10-80? Higher means your line is longer and so will receive less throughput due to signal decay.

SNR Margin is the signal to noise ratio. Again, higher is worse, anything from 1.5 to 15+.

DSL Type is the specification which your line is running. Different specs allow faster speeds through using extra frequencies. Types include ADSL, ADSL2+ , DSL, etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    [...]
    I find this to be a really really handy thing to look at -
    http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

Plug in your postcode, then post back with the exchange it comes out with.
    That gives information on 'unbundling'.

Also check out http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker to investigate your max line speed and a more broken down version of the exchange page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    I find this to be a really really handy thing to look at -
    http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

Plug in your postcode, then post back with the exchange it comes out with.
    That gives information on 'unbundling'.

Also check out http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker to investigate your max line speed and a more broken down version of the exchange page.
    cheers mate!

i'll check them out

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.