Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Having had 4 out of 5 rejections on my last UCAS application, I was pretty set on re-applying in 2011. I've pinpointed weaknesses in my last application and know how to remedy them. But out of the blue one of the universities which rejected me at first (a pretty reputable one) emailed me to give me an offer for 2011, rather than 2010.

If I accept this offer and get the grades required on results day (AAA), does this prevent me from trying an application to other universities for 2011 entry? Seeing as the competition is likely to get more intense next year, declining a good offer out of hand now seems like a bad idea.

Also, if I do accept the offer now, how would it work? Would I go into Clearing now and the university would pick me up and give me the offer they said they would there?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    *subbed*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yabbayabba)
    If I accept this offer and get the grades required on results day (AAA), does this prevent me from trying an application to other universities for 2011 entry?
    No, you can't hold a deferred offer and apply for 2011, because your 2010 application would be considered still active.

Also, if I do accept the offer now, how would it work? Would I go into Clearing now and the university would pick me up and give me the offer they said they would there?
    I've always understood it as they'll change their 'unsuccessful' to 'conditional' from their end.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    No, you can't hold a deferred offer and apply for 2011, because your 2010 application would be considered still active.
    Ok, thank you . At the moment I'm not in UCAS, I've withdrawn, so officially on UCAS I don't hold the offer, I just have their word on e-mail. I'm just wondering if I could get the university to guarantee me an offer if I ask to apply again in the 2011 round. hmm. Or would that look like I'm less committed to that particular university?

ReputationRep:
    No, you have to withdraw if you want reapply and risk not getting the offer again.

Contact the uni to see how they will go about giving you your offer.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thank you . At the moment I'm not in UCAS, I've withdrawn, so officially on UCAS I don't hold the offer, I just have their word on e-mail. I'm just wondering if I could get the university to guarantee me an offer if I ask to apply again in the 2011 round. hmm. Or would that look like I'm less committed to that particular university?
    Right - in that case, you'd need to get UCAS to reactivate your application, which they might be willing to do if you explain to them (got no offers, withdrew, now have an offer) before you do anything else, otherwise you can't accept the offer you've got in e-mail.

Honestly, I don't know what to advise on how to go about getting a guarantee of an offer if you reapply. From a personal point of view, if I was happy with this course and uni, I'd accept the deferred offer and just relax next year.

ReputationRep:
    Right - in that case, you'd need to get UCAS to reactivate your application, which they might be willing to do if you explain to them (got no offers, withdrew, now have an offer) before you do anything else, otherwise you can't accept the offer you've got in e-mail.

Honestly, I don't know what to advise on how to go about getting a guarantee of an offer if you reapply. From a personal point of view, if I was happy with this course and uni, I'd accept the deferred offer and just relax next year.
    Apologies for the delayed response. Thanks for all your responses! Haven't managed to think up of a way/an excuse to give so that I can be guaranteed of an offer in the next cycle. Ah well.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for the delayed response. Thanks for all your responses! Haven't managed to think up of a way/an excuse to give so that I can be guaranteed of an offer in the next cycle. Ah well.
    Why do you not want to just have your unconditional offer?

You know what doesn't get questioned too much? Personal and family problems.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you not want to just have your unconditional offer?

You know what doesn't get questioned too much? Personal and family problems.
    Ah, I'm just being silly really. I just think there's a POSSIBILITY I could get into a university I want to go to more because I've pinpointed weaknesses in my application and know how to fix them now. Buut - I'd be kicking myself if I turn down this decent offer and don't get into the university I prefer slightly more... if that makes any sense whatsoever!

Oh, the offer wouldn't be unconditional at the moment, just conditional. I think I'll accept it and see what happens on results day.

Hmm, that's true about personal and family problems, but that wouldn't explain why I'd want them to guarantee me an offer for 2011, when they've already given me an offer for 2011. Or would it? My brain's not really working today :P I did phone UCAS about the process and they said that I'd have to wait until results day. If I get the required grades then I can phone them up, and they'd sort out an unconditional offer on results day.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I'm just being silly really. I just think there's a POSSIBILITY I could get into a university I want to go to more because I've pinpointed weaknesses in my application and know how to fix them now. Buut - I'd be kicking myself if I turn down this decent offer and don't get into the university I prefer slightly more... if that makes any sense whatsoever!

Oh, the offer wouldn't be unconditional at the moment, just conditional. I think I'll accept it and see what happens on results day.

Hmm, that's true about personal and family problems, but that wouldn't explain why I'd want them to guarantee me an offer for 2011, when they've already given me an offer for 2011. Or would it? My brain's not really working today :P I did phone UCAS about the process and they said that I'd have to wait until results day. If I get the required grades then I can phone them up, and they'd sort out an unconditional offer on results day.
    Yeah, that makes complete sense: this is a good offer, but you think you could get into one you wanted more. However, you'd be annoyed with yourself if you rejected this offer and then didn't get your other one. I understand.

Accepting it and seeing what happens is actually the best idea right now, I think.

Hmm... Problem with fictional circumstances is you have to make sure they're watertight and everyone is in on them - your referee, your family, your friends, etc. If it comes to it, I'm sure you'll think of something that would mean you have to reapply but would like to go to this university and would a guarantee of an offer be available (after all, they've already made you one offer for 2011, so presumably they want you.)

However, leave it all until after results day, then you know what the score is. You might find that, if you get your grades, you feel differently about this uni and don't want to apply elsewhere. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Having had 4 out of 5 rejections on my last UCAS application, I was pretty set on re-applying in 2011. I've pinpointed weaknesses in my last application and know how to remedy them. But out of the blue one of the universities which rejected me at first (a pretty reputable one) emailed me to give me an offer for 2011, rather than 2010.

If I accept this offer and get the grades required on results day (AAA), does this prevent me from trying an application to other universities for 2011 entry? Seeing as the competition is likely to get more intense next year, declining a good offer out of hand now seems like a bad idea.

Thanks
    You can only reapply next yr if you decline the offer or don't make the offer

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that makes complete sense: this is a good offer, but you think you could get into one you wanted more. However, you'd be annoyed with yourself if you rejected this offer and then didn't get your other one. I understand.

Accepting it and seeing what happens is actually the best idea right now, I think.

Hmm... Problem with fictional circumstances is you have to make sure they're watertight and everyone is in on them - your referee, your family, your friends, etc. If it comes to it, I'm sure you'll think of something that would mean you have to reapply but would like to go to this university and would a guarantee of an offer be available (after all, they've already made you one offer for 2011, so presumably they want you.)

However, leave it all until after results day, then you know what the score is. You might find that, if you get your grades, you feel differently about this uni and don't want to apply elsewhere. :dontknow:
    Many thanks for your sound advice I've accepted the offer and will see what happens come results day!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.