Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok so im not going to lie genetics is my best topi atall , was wondering could anyone help me or send me links to some good websites that would guide me through these two questions

a]
    maize plants heterozygous for both characteristics were crossed. The following results were obtained:
    83 coloured,rounded
    33 coloured, wrickled
    29 colourless, rounded
    8 colourless , wrinkled

suggest why the results are not expected 9 : 3 : 3 : 1 ratio

B] some of the colourless rounded grains would have the genotype ccRr and some would be ccRR , explain the genmetics crosses necessary to distinguish between these genotypes?

:eek3:

i just need someone to guide me and i will take of ,
    hope to hear from someone soon

x

ReputationRep:
    its pathetic that my tutor gave me work to complete but without any background notes in order to prepare me for uni .

was hoping if anyone could give me help on this ...

5) Pure-breeding pea plants with grey seed coats and tall stems were crossed with plants with white seed coats and short stems. The offspring (F1 generation) all had grey seed coats and tall stems.

a) State suitable symbols for the alleles for colour of seed and height of stem.

b)Explain, by means of a genetic diagram, the ratios of genotypes and phenotypes you would expect if the F1 generation were self-fertilised.

c)Explain how you could find out the genotype of a plant with grey seed coat and tall stems

ReputationRep:
    How dry! Should find your answer in a standard genetics text book!

You have a standard dihybrid cross, with white and short being the recessive alleles

a) you can put anything really lol eg G/g for grey/white and similar for the other gene

b) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punnett_square :p:

c) this is asking how do you test whether each of the characteristics is homo- or heterozygous, the answer lies in crossing the defined plant with a specific different plant, where homo- and hetero- should give you different results

ReputationRep:
    http://www.biologymad.com/ is always good

linkage between the P and L alleles and the p and l alleles. The frequency of P occurring together with L and with p occurring together with l is greater than that of the recombinant Pl and pL. The recombination frequency cannot be computed directly from this experiment, but intuitively it is less than 50%.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 29, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.