Turn on thread page Beta

Failing examinations watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I failed all but one of my examinations. I wish to repeat the year as re-sits would be capped. On the grounds of repeats and re-sits does anxiety fall into the catagory of mitigating circumstances?

Throughout the year I suffer very mild forms which are often controlable. But when it comes to examinations I suffer really bad. I cannot sit still with my leg shaking through the whole exam. I will become short of breathe which results in heavy breathing meaning I have to use my inhalers becuase I am asthmatic. This all piles on top of me and I always leave an exam before the time is up and before I have a chance to answer the question aswell as I know I can. I leave because I feel overwhlemed and can no longer sit in one place as I just feel trapped.

My medical history comprises of high blood pressure. On another note a family member is currently off work due to workplace stress and has been for sometime.

Do I have grounds for a request for reconsideration with the board of examiners?

ReputationRep:
    You should have alerted the exam body of your condition, but anxiety is common amongst us all, I don't think they will believe it is mitigating circumstances. I would always try, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    You will need to contact your academic department. who should be able to inform you of the exact procedures. Generally, however you will need to provide evidence from a professional to support your claims. You may be referred to Disability Services who will arrange for you to have an Assessment of Needs. If your disappointing results only apply to exam modules then this is likely to indicate an ongoing problem, which might qualify you to take the papers as a first attempt, with new access arrangements. You need to contact your Exams Officer in the Department as soon as possible. Forms submitted after about 7 days usually carry little weight (without documented reasons for the delay) and may need to be referred to higher authorities. I hope it works out for you.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need a medical reason for this (i.e. GP's letter), rather than just "anxiety" which although is itself a condition, it doesn't qualify without doctors treatment. You can approach your tutor and ask them for advice on the subject. The poster above me made some good comments, and they probably know more about this than me!

ReputationRep:
    The above poster is correct. In any case, it is in your interest to do this because they will be able to provide support to ensure that the same problems do not reoccur in the future. I had to go through this process last year due to a development in my visual disability. It is very important that you follow the procedures exactly as stipulated because then your tutors will be in the best possible position to help you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the posts. I have a doctors appointment booked, as recommended by the students councelling service. What reasoon would there be to involve the disability services? Yes these do apply to only exam modules. Other modules I have done well in.

After recieving my results I only had ten days to write to the board of examiners. As I am only just recieving councelling and GP appointments I could not provide any of this evidence. Therefor as I did not want to miss this deadline I already wrote to the board of examiners explaining my situation. Will I be able to contact them again providing further information/evidence?

ReputationRep:
    Will I be able to contact them again providing further information/evidence?
    Yes. I was in a simular position last year. I completed a mitigating circumstances form for one of my modules, explaining my medical situation. I just wrote at the bottom that I was in the process of obtaining a doctor's note and that this would be forwarded as a matter of urgency. It is a good idea that you have at least made them aware of your problems; they will defer a decision until all the evidence is received.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.