V292 - The Diplomatic Immunity Revocation Bill 2010 Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (5)
13.51%
On the contrary, No (28)
75.68%
Abstain (4)
10.81%
This discussion is closed.
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
V292 - The Diplomatic Immunity Revocation Bill 2010, TSR UKIPPreamble:

For a long time, diplomatic immunity has meant that many foreign diplomats and other VIPs with this status have escaped prosecution.

What Diplomatic Immunity is, it's history and background

Diplomatic immunity was one of the reasons the guilty person(s) involved in the murder of WPC Yvonne Fletcher were able to escape, a murder for which so far no culprit has been found despite the crime being commited over 26 years ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvonne_Fletcher

Recently yet more accusations have been made of foreign diplomats breaking the law and yet being able to escape without punishment under the umbrella of the laws concerning diplomatic immunity.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ju...exempt-charges

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ious-crimes.do

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-2012874.html

Definitions

Offence against the person

Vienna Convention

'The Vienna Convention is explicit that "without prejudice to their privileges and immunities, it is the duty of all persons enjoying such privileges and immunities to respect the laws and regulations of the receiving State"'

Some countries have altered their specific adherence to the conventions statements so their is precedence for this to occur. Also, diplomats are not outside the jurisdiction of thier own home states who could, should they wish, prosecute them for their crimes -but chose not to and this is not good enough. We should not have to rely on other states to provide a deterence for their diplomats to harm our vitizens while they are here. Ultimately, the threat of a diplomats career prosepcts being harmed [often the worst they can expect] is simply not enough.

Therefore:

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-"

1. Adjusting the terms of diplomatic immunity

(1) All diplomatic immunity for foreign diplomats and for those who currently hold it shall be revoked if they commit, are accused, or are charged in relation to a serious crime.

(2) For the purposes of this Act:
"a serious crime" is one considered an offence against the person.

(3) There shall be no obstruction of justice, or interence from the home office or foreign embassies.

2. The Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations

(1) This Act states that the government of the UK is committed to abiding by the Vienna Convention with the following exceptions:

(2) In the event of a serious crime, as defined in Section 1(2), this Act requires that the head of the diplomatic mission must enact his right to allow intrusion into the embassy as set out in Article 22 of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic relations.

(3) This Act requires that, contrary to Article 32 of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, in the case of a serious crime as defined in Section 1(2), criminal charges may be brought against an individual with or without the consent of the country sending the diplomatic mission.

3. Enforcement and Punishment

(1) Any attempt to instill privilages of diplomatic immunity shall be regarded as an obstruction of justice and those involved shall be punished accordingly.

4. Exemption

(1) Only heads of state are excempt.

5. Commencement, short title and extent

(1) This bill shall be known as "The Diplomatic Immunity Revocation Bill 2010"

(2) This Act shall come into force at the end of the period of two months beginning with the day on which it is passed

(3) This Act extends to all of the United Kingdom
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Aye from me of course. :yes:
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No.
TheCrackInTime
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No.
Matthew_Lowson
Badges: 17
Report 8 years ago
No. We either abide by Vienna or we dont. We dont choose which bits that we follow and which bits we ignore.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I hate you all with a passion you can't comprehend. Titian couldn't portray it, nor Shakespeare write about it, nor Donne outline it through the agency of words and imagery.
Indievertigo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No chance! Missed the discussion for this ofc, but we'd most certainly face retaliatory measures.
Jangrafess
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago
No thanks.
The Referee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You don't just rip up a large chuck of the Vienna Convention without cross nation agreement and not have serious consequences for diplomatic relations.

No from me.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
All the people voting yes are of course my new favourite members, my above comment applies to everyone else
The Referee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by paddy__power)
I hate you all with a passion you can't comprehend. Titian couldn't portray it, nor Shakespeare write about it, nor Donne outline it through the agency of words and imagery.
How poetic

Perhps you should turn your attention to the mass creation of bilateral agreements to ensure that states will punish their own errent diplomats in the face of appropriate evidence? That way we don't rip up the Vienna convention and we will not face retaliatory measures!
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The Referee)
How poetic

Perhps you should turn your attention to the mass creation of bilateral agreements to ensure that states will punish their own errent diplomats in the face of appropriate evidence? That way we don't rip up the Vienna convention and we will not face retaliatory measures!
Perhaps, but the poetry is much easier and I'm very lazy :p:
StatusRed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The Bill)

(1) All diplomatic immunity for foreign diplomats and for those who currently hold it shall be revoked if they commit, are accused, or are charged in relation to a serious crime.
Surely that doesn't make sense. If they are convicted of a crime, they no longer have immunity. However, if they aren't convicted of a crime, they don't need immunity...
elli_emc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not sure I can support this - we can't just amend the Vienna Convention as we see fit.

Sorry.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by elli_emc)
I'm not sure I can support this - we can't just amend the Vienna Convention as we see fit.

Sorry.
Well actually we can lol.

But I understand people's objections to this so it's all good.
username280380
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by paddy__power)
All the people voting yes are of course my new favourite members, my above comment applies to everyone else
I agree with the sentiment of the bill and think that its a good idea - however I do not think its a good idea to break the vienna convention and as such I have Abstained.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
I agree with the sentiment of the bill and think that its a good idea - however I do not think its a good idea to break the vienna convention and as such I have Abstained.
In that case I only hate you a little bit, along with the other abstainers ^^
username280380
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
oh thanks.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
oh thanks.
It's a joke, :console:
Metrobeans
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The no's have it, the no's have it!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (146)
18.23%
No (487)
60.8%
Not really bothered about them (168)
20.97%

Watched Threads