Turn on thread page Beta

Allergic to Earrings watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be allergic to earrings. My ears turn red and often seem infected even when I wear real gold/silver earrings.
    Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    See a doctor :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    I can't wear fake jewelry for the same reason. If I wear it for long enough the area will actually bleed a bit. You can either only wear jewelry which is real (like gold) or make sure to wear the fake jewelry for a short period of time. Works fine for me!

ReputationRep:
    Mine do this too. Even gold made them itch. I just stopped wearing earrings.

ReputationRep:
    Probably a nickel allergy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolat321)
    x
    I suggest trying titanium or stainless steel jewellery.
    Unfortunately this means you are restricted in the styles,
    but if you visit www.bodyjewelleryshop.com you could get some cute barbells with little gemstones in them. Search for "gauge" 1mm and length 6mm or 8mm. (or even look at the jewellery designed for tragus piercings)

ReputationRep:
    I think you should check with a doctor. If you have hyper acidity, you are allergic with silver earrings but this is my first time hearing someone allergic to gold. Go see a doctor the soonest.

ReputationRep:
    like someone mentioned, it's likely a nickel allergy. Most gold and silver jewelry contain nickel btw.

ReputationRep:
    I've had my ears pierced twice and both times I've had to let them close up because wearing any earrings just made them irritated and sore, even with cream from the doctor. I now have lumps in my ears from the scarred tissue because I persevered with the earrings for so long. I'd give up now and give your ears a chance to heal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    I've had my ears pierced twice and both times I've had to let them close up because wearing any earrings just made them irritated and sore, even with cream from the doctor. I now have lumps in my ears from the scarred tissue because I persevered with the earrings for so long. I'd give up now and give your ears a chance to heal.
    I got some ointment from a doctor, too, but it was of no use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    Try bio oil to get rid of the lumps.

ReputationRep:
    don't wear them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Try bio oil to get rid of the lumps.
    Hmmm do you think it will work on a well-established scar? I last had earrings when I was 14 or 15 and I'm now nearly 25 so they're old scars!

ReputationRep:
    I think it should. A lot of people use it on old stretch marks and stuff and it works well.
    It got rid of the lumps on my ear in a matter of weeks!

ReputationRep:
    I am too! I can't wear less than 16 carat gold, but I seem to be better with silver. My mum often used to complain about this, but then I just started wearing silver stuff.
    It's the same with necklaces. When I used to wear low carat/gold plated stuff, my ears would bleed and my chest would also bleed/get rashes.
    I seem to be less sensitive now that I'm older though, and randomly, my left ear has always seemed to be worse than my right (atm, I only have one earring in!). I really like earrings/jewellery though, so I just take care (i.e. try not to wear them overnight or in the shower).

(I have to admit, while it only occasionally hurt, I always enjoyed rubbing the scabs off my ears :o: Hmmm, I wonder if that's why I tug on my ears a lot, especially when nervous)

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same too and I have a nickel allergy. I cant wear cheap jewellery because I just itch like crazy. I rarely wear earrings now because my ears just get infected. I have to wear 16 carat and up usually. I'm ok with loose fitting bracelets though.

ReputationRep:
    Go to a professional body piercing shop and buy some titanium earrings or just ask for their advice. I also find that my ears seal up pretty much overnight and it can be difficult/painful to put earrings back in with or without the irritation, and I've been told to try keeping a comfortable pair in for a couple of weeks like you would if your ears were just pierced. You could try that and see if they adjust.

ReputationRep:
    I have a mild nickel allergy, try wearing titanium or higher carat gold.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with other replies that you can wear medical titanium or surgical stainless steel earrings which are nickel-safe. You can even get medical plastic earrings with Swarovski crystals which are free from all metal and are pretty too. Try looking them up under hypoallergenic earrings for delicate skin . Or try Delicate Earrings online

ReputationRep:
    try titanium or bioplast bars/labarets from a proper piercing shop

http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/onl...oplast_776.cfm

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.