Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I had some news (family health stuff I don't want to discuss) this week which has made it more important than ever that I get into a local University for my Postgrad. However the two closest universities that offer the course I need, want 2:1s and I got a 2:2.

I've contacted both Universities in the past and this won't bar me from applying but I'm considering mentioning my Grandparents, who I live with and who are both disabled, in my PS because without them I wouldn't be as stable as I am now (had issues at Uni with depression, illness) and they are the main reason I need to stay local.

So far the best way I have thought about explaining why I want to attend and approaching this is:

1. I have spent the past year helping my Grandparents with their daily lives while working part time (in a job I have learnt a ton from and enjoy.) Their continued health problems mean that this help will need to continue and this is something I want to be able to do.

2. By being with my family and assume the responsibility of looking out for them while working part time, I have rebalance my life since graduation and that I think am in better shape (mentally) for doing a Masters or at least I am not the train wreck I was.

3. I have chosen to study part time. The reason is partly to do with the above but mostly to do with the fact that I want to "space out" my studies to allow me to focus on them because I know I am a weak than others and I want to address that.

I have more positive sides to my application - a university professor (not at either of the local ones) recently told me he could see a great potential in my work and that my undergraduate lecturers had taught me well. Also, I went and studied in America last summer with international renowned teachers.

Finally, saying all this, doesn't take away the fact I like the courses. I would want to study there without the family stuff and I have done drafts of my Personal Statements for them where I haven't mentioned my Grandparents. Its just now, for example, if I ended up miles and miles from home and something happened, I would be so guilty for having left them to do my Masters.

Anyone else been in this position or know what I can do to help my application from a Personal Statement point of view?

ReputationRep:
    Family background is important, without question it is important to mention it as it straight away shows you have values and morals (looking after your grandparents shows fantastic skills imo). Have you considered tackling it from the point of view of what you have learned from looking after your grandparents and working at the same time.....for example, to do both I would say your time management would have to be spot on or maybe you feel you have learned a lot by looking after them (which cant be an easy job, and for which I have complete admiration for you).

Does your job relate well to the Masters you are planning to do? Because most universities, while looking for a 2:1, if you have a lot of experience in the field or even lots of "life experience" ie your study in america will look favourably upon that.

As for liking the look of the course, make sure this is one of the first things you mention and mention stuff about how you like the look of the campus, or the facilities are great....anything to put you in a good light....this sort of stuff I have mentioned in a PhD application and it was successful. If you want to know more or ought PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robert Morris)
    Does your job relate well to the Masters you are planning to do? Because most universities, while looking for a 2:1, if you have a lot of experience in the field or even lots of "life experience" ie your study in america will look favourably upon that.
    Thanks for your reply.

My current job isn't related to my field, which is composition btw. I'm a Sales Advisor but I have gain extra experience from this. For example, right now, I am covering at another store in my area full time and I had to receive extra training to do that (not to mention pay. )

Also, secondary from my main question but how long would you reckon a Personal Statement should be? I've been advised before that around 1,000 words but one of the Unis I am talking about says a max. of 500.

ReputationRep:
    I have always been told a maximum of 1000 words BUT if they tell you maximum 500 words, stick to that because secretly they are seeing if you can follow instructions and write well in a personal statement as well.

As for your job stuff, put it in and try as much as possible to relate it to the course, as you say you get extra training and if your covering other stores you must be doing something right!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.