This discussion is closed.
spyral
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
have been thinking about learning how to play the drums. Anyone got any info? How difficult is it to get to a semi decent standard?
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by spyral)
have been thinking about learning how to play the drums. Anyone got any info? How difficult is it to get to a semi decent standard?
well alot of what u hear in songs is just basic drum work - about grade 1-grade 3... and that will sound good as long as u can keep time and u can do sum decent fills....... there are alot of them available so you want to know alot of different styles... u probably won't need to go above grade 5/6 to be a semi-decent drummer. there are also a lot of types of arrangements for drums; from the basic kit with snare, 3 tom-toms, bass drum, high hat, crash cymbol and ride cymbol, to other types depending on what kind of music you will be playing.

drum kits are fairly expensive though..... they start at around 250 quid... the important thing is to get sum basic rhythms going and to join a band - gets u used to playing for 3/4 minutes consistently, which is very tiring at first
SasunD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i used to play the drums, but stopped kos things didnt go well. My advice to you would be to get a good teacher who will go through the teaching very quickly which will make you practice hard.

Do you play any instruments already or this gonna be your first.

Playing drums is very hard to start off wiht, even if you play an instrument already as you have to use both hands and feet simultaneously, and certain movements of your hands causes you feet to move in reaction and you have to get used to blocking these reactions andself, or doing what you have to do.

Anyway, get a good teacher, or to start off with, go to like a tatser lesson or something and have a mess about, and then see if you wanna carry on.

Then you can take two routes, teach yourself or get a teacher. Do the second one first.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SasunD)
i used to play the drums, but stopped kos things didnt go well. My advice to you would be to get a good teacher who will go through the teaching very quickly which will make you practice hard.

Do you play any instruments already or this gonna be your first.

Playing drums is very hard to start off wiht, even if you play an instrument already as you have to use both hands and feet simultaneously, and certain movements of your hands causes you feet to move in reaction and you have to get used to blocking these reactions andself, or doing what you have to do.

Anyway, get a good teacher, or to start off with, go to like a tatser lesson or something and have a mess about, and then see if you wanna carry on.

Then you can take two routes, teach yourself or get a teacher. Do the second one first.
that is very good advice..... the most important thing to start off with is consistency ie maintaining the rhythm in crotchets quavers semi quavers triplets etc.... and learning to roll. make sure that you can HEAR what you are playing, not think that you are playing what's on the page.
also you will save ALOT more money if you practice outside lessons as well, since alot of the lessons with teachers can just be wasted playing the same rhythm over again trying to get it consistent, which could be done in your spare time.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Learning to be able to do different things with each of your hands and feet is the difficult part. Once you have mastered that, the rest will come quite quickly. I have never had professional lessons (a couple of my mates taught me - one of which has just had his band signed by universal records i mite add lol) so it doesnt need to be expensive.

It's one of those instruments that everyone thinks they can play because they tap along to a beat on the table but put them in front of a drum kit and they are awful lol.

Still definately worth learning.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (385)
67.19%
No (188)
32.81%

Watched Threads