I want to lose 4" off my stomach in two months. Watch

wanderlust.xx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Okay, I have two months until I go back to university and I want to lose 4" off my stomach (preferably before then, but if not then oh well, I'm still going to continue going to the gym). My first question is, is this plausible? I'm currently a dreadful 36/37" and I want to get it down to a more respectable 33".

Secondly, I've already been going to the gym for 2 months, 3 times a week, doing rowing for 30 minutes followed by weights for 30 minutes. From this week, I'm now planning on doing HIIT on the treadmill (well, a very easy beginner form anyway) with 2 minutes walking, 2 minutes jogging. I'm hoping to eventually be able to do this for half an hour straight, and then do weights, then row for about 10 minutes... is this much cardio too little or alright? I'm also planning on going around 4 times a week - 5 might be pushing it, but I think I might be able to.

My diet seems fine, I'm keeping tabs on it, however I'm not keeping strict tabs on my calorie intake, should I be?

Finally, I'd love to be able to just run for 30 minutes without any breaks, would I probably get there in 8 weeks time?

Thanks in advance, and please tell me if anything I'm doing is unrealistic or stupid, or if I could do anything to improve.
Goodkat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Post your diet.
member332941
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you want to lose inches off your waist you should do oblique exercises as well as your gym and tummy exercises. They will help you smooth your hips and get rid of love handles if you have them. Here's two:

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, hold up some light weights (or water bottles) and tighten your bum. Twist your torso with your arms in front of you to the right as far as you can without moving the rest of your body, then twist left. Do this 50 times, then move onto 100 if you feel you can. You'll feel your diaphragm and you must remember to breathe normally or it'll feel funny. You can either hold your arms in front of you, or punch the air while you twist.
This does wonders.

You can also do something that strengthens your lower back and tones your bum and thighs a little while helping you with your waist and tummy. Lie on your front with your arms by your side and your legs stretched out. Lift your head and chin up as much as you can as you lift your legs up, keeping your arms down. Pedal your feet/move your legs up and down and keep at it for about 20 seconds, then pause and rest. Repeat as many times as you want, three is more than enough.

I'd say don't worry about your cardio as much, swim if you want weight to go off your waist, sides, back and legs respectively, it'll also help you with your gymming because it builds endurance and muscle without you realising.

I would also recommend trying Callanetics. I practice it, it's an exercise routine from the 80's that does not help you lose weight, but it tones you in all the places you want very quickly. You will see, or feel the difference after two hours if you do it properly, no kidding.

What you are doing is not unrealistic, you're doing great so far.
Bishamon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by janetisntreal)
If you want to lose inches off your waist you should do oblique exercises as well as your gym and tummy exercises. They will help you smooth your hips and get rid of love handles if you have them. Here's two:

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, hold up some light weights (or water bottles) and tighten your bum. Twist your torso with your arms in front of you to the right as far as you can without moving the rest of your body, then twist left. Do this 50 times, then move onto 100 if you feel you can. You'll feel your diaphragm and you must remember to breathe normally or it'll feel funny. You can either hold your arms in front of you, or punch the air while you twist.
This does wonders.

You can also do something that strengthens your lower back and tones your bum and thighs a little while helping you with your waist and tummy. Lie on your front with your arms by your side and your legs stretched out. Lift your head and chin up as much as you can as you lift your legs up, keeping your arms down. Pedal your feet/move your legs up and down and keep at it for about 20 seconds, then pause and rest. Repeat as many times as you want, three is more than enough.

I'd say don't worry about your cardio as much, swim if you want weight to go off your waist, sides, back and legs respectively, it'll also help you with your gymming because it builds endurance and muscle without you realising.

I would also recommend trying Callanetics. I practice it, it's an exercise routine from the 80's that does not help you lose weight, but it tones you in all the places you want very quickly. You will see, or feel the difference after two hours if you do it properly, no kidding.

What you are doing is not unrealistic, you're doing great so far.
Hush your trap

your advice is rubbish
Mithra
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
janetisntreal, did you just look up everything people believe about exercise that's actually absolute rubbish and put it in one post?
lovely_me
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Use less calories then you consume :dontknow:
Sorani
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Firstly, HIIT should be impossible to do after 20 minutes. If you're doing it longer, than you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. You should be pushing yourself as hard as your body can physically go.

Secondly, weights (heavy weight, low reps) around three times a week - not on consecutive days, your muscles need rest. Cardio you can do on the days inbetween. Don't do heavy cardio before weights, preferably don't do it on the same day at all. Cut down your saturated fat intake, but make sure you're getting your healthy fats, cut down your refined carb intake, up your protein intake.

This is a plan I've just started: http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2...ipped-5x5.html, I've only heard good things about it. Obviously, you have to find the weight that works to you, you should be really struggling by your last 5x5. Pick your own cardio for your non-weight days - I skip, it's pretty tiring. Since you've been going to the gym for a bit, you may want to vary up the plan or add more exercises but that's up to you.
immediate_escape
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sorani)
Firstly, HIIT should be impossible to do after 20 minutes. If you're doing it longer, than you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. You should be pushing yourself as hard as your body can physically go.

Secondly, weights (heavy weight, low reps) around three times a week - not on consecutive days, your muscles need rest. Cardio you can do on the days inbetween. Don't do heavy cardio before weights, preferably don't do it on the same day at all. Cut down your saturated fat intake, but make sure you're getting your healthy fats, cut down your refined carb intake, up your protein intake.

This is a plan I've just started: http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2...ipped-5x5.html, I've only heard good things about it. Obviously, you have to find the weight that works to you, you should be really struggling by your last 5x5. Pick your own cardio for your non-weight days - I skip, it's pretty tiring. Since you've been going to the gym for a bit, you may want to vary up the plan or add more exercises but that's up to you.
Why should one not do heavy cardio before weights?
member332941
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
@ Bishamon: It all worked for me, sorry.

@ Mithra: No, I didn't. I put in what worked for me and what I have seen work for others. My apologies again, if I was misunderstood.
Sorani
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by immediate_escape)
Because you really want to be using maximum energy and effort when you're lifting, and doing the heavy cardio will have drained away some of that. Light cardio as a warm-up is fine, though.
FretFul
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Cutting saturated fat is overrated in weightloss.
john_john
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Personally I've always done (when time allows) moderate cardio after weights (not HIIT) for about 15 to 20 minutes, to help get that BF% down to the singles. Purely because glycogen stores are depleated after weights.

Still do HIIT on other days though.
DanBear92
Report 8 years ago
Cutting saturated fat is actually recommended i think anyways.
To OP the only thing that matters is getting in a calorie deficit.
The cardio is there to make that easier and the weightlifting is there so that ur not jst gna end up looking like a smaller version of what u were before u want some muscle on that body.
But the MAIN thing about losing inches off that waist is calorie intake. you need to be STRICTLY monitoring ur calories because this is the only thing that will make u smaller. Use a calorie calculator to work out how much u need to be taking a day for weight loss. Or work out ur maintenance calories and thn reduce approx 500-700, this will result in losing 1-1.5 pounds of weight a week. it's not recommended to be going lower thn 2lbs a week. Get ur weight in bodypounds and eat that much protein a day.

To give u some actual perspective I started cutting 2 weeks ago in the 1st week I did no training but just reduced calories to 500-700 below maintenance. I dropped a inch off my stomach in that week alone, overall ive lost about 1.4 inches off my stomach and this is in 2 weeks! Good luck let me know if u need more info
wanderlust.xx
Rep:
?
Secondly, weights (heavy weight, low reps) around three times a week - not on consecutive days, your muscles need rest.
So I'd go and do cardio what, 3 times a week too? How much cardio should I be looking at doing on my cardio days? I'm thinking that about an hour's worth would be okay, maybe splitting it up a little to begin with... 15 minutes treadmill/10 Minutes Rowing/15 Minutes bike.

(Original post by DanBear92)
To OP the only thing that matters is getting in a calorie deficit.

To give u some actual perspective I started cutting 2 weeks ago in the 1st week I did no training but just reduced calories to 500-700 below maintenance. I dropped a inch off my stomach in that week alone, overall ive lost about 1.4 inches off my stomach and this is in 2 weeks! Good luck let me know if u need more info
I just used a calorie calculator, and it said that to maintain my current body weight I'd need to consume ~2200 calories, and so to get a deficit going I'd need to consume 1500, but that seems way too much! I used a calculator before and it said that in order to reach a deficit I'd have to consume around 600-700 calories... and that, according to some, is too low - which should I believe?
Sorani
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
So I'd go and do cardio what, 3 times a week too? How much cardio should I be looking at doing on my cardio days? I'm thinking that about an hour's worth would be okay, maybe splitting it up a little to begin with... 15 minutes treadmill/10 Minutes Rowing/15 Minutes bike.
It's up to you, but that's what I do personally. 3 days weights, 3 days cardio, 1 day rest. If you're sticking to doing HIIT then it'd be 20 minutes at the absolute most, or until you physically can't do it anymore, and even though it's a very short time, that's honestly all you need.

If you're going for regular cardio, yup, an hour is perfectly fine. If you're doing short bursts, make sure they're pretty intense/fast, no one gains from slow and easy.

(Original post by john_john)
Personally I've always done (when time allows) moderate cardio after weights (not HIIT) for about 15 to 20 minutes, to help get that BF% down to the singles. Purely because glycogen stores are depleated after weights.

Still do HIIT on other days though.
Oh, no, I meant heavy cardio for not doing on the same day, because I think it'll just really push your body too far. Light/moderate cardio I couldn't see as being an issue.

I just used a calorie calculator, and it said that to maintain my current body weight I'd need to consume ~2200 calories, and so to get a deficit going I'd need to consume 1500, but that seems way too much! I used a calculator before and it said that in order to reach a deficit I'd have to consume around 600-700 calories... and that, according to some, is too low - which should I believe?
1500 isn't too high, how much do you reckon you're eating at the moment? If you're going to be very active, especially if you want to get some muscle out of weightlifting, you can't severely diet as you'll get no muscle growth. If you're going to be using a lot of energy, you'll need it.

600-700 is way way waaaay too low, I hear 1200 at the minimum but I think that'll be too low for you.
winterSTU
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by immediate_escape)
Shouldn't do them together at all on the same day. Burn the candle at both ends and see what happens.
wanderlust.xx
Rep:
?
1500 isn't too high, how much do you reckon you're eating at the moment? If you're going to be very active, especially if you want to get some muscle out of weightlifting, you can't severely diet as you'll get no muscle growth. If you're going to be using a lot of energy, you'll need it.

600-700 is way way waaaay too low, I hear 1200 at the minimum but I think that'll be too low for you.
At the moment... well, for today, it's pretty much just bean a bowl of cornflakes in the morning with semi skimmed milk, and then in the afternoon after about an hour of moderate intensity cycling I had a cheese and onion sandwich and a 3 bean wholemeal wrap. The cornflakes were approximately 200 calories, and my lunch was around 800-900... I did have a hefty lunch though, I should stop eating so much. That leaves around 300-600 calories left for dinner.

I do find that I often try to scrounge protein since I'm a vegetarian - I've been thinking about protein shakes but I'm not sure how/when I should take them if I'm going to gym 6 times a week? What days, before or after gym, every day or every other day?

Hah it's all so confusing! :P
Oh_Mighty_One
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Mix it up a bit. 30 minutes weights, 30 minutes cardio. If you do weights before cardio, you can then burn 27% more calories. (Source: Men's Health)
Ivan91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
At the moment... well, for today, it's pretty much just bean a bowl of cornflakes in the morning with semi skimmed milk, and then in the afternoon after about an hour of moderate intensity cycling I had a cheese and onion sandwich and a 3 bean wholemeal wrap. The cornflakes were approximately 200 calories, and my lunch was around 800-900... I did have a hefty lunch though, I should stop eating so much. That leaves around 300-600 calories left for dinner.

I do find that I often try to scrounge protein since I'm a vegetarian - I've been thinking about protein shakes but I'm not sure how/when I should take them if I'm going to gym 6 times a week? What days, before or after gym, every day or every other day?

Drop the cornflakes and eat a proper breakfast, that type of cereal is crap. Best to replace it with a few eggs (not sure if that violates your veggie rules) and a cup of quakers oats.

Are you able to eat fish? Should start eating brown rice + fish/some form of protein rather than bad food like a cheese and onion sandwich (bread and cheese are both awful if you're trying to lose fat). Also what is your reason for being a vegetarian? Might be worth losing those morals for the greater good i.e. your health/training imo.

You shouldn't think of calories as the most important factor, you could eat a bunch of awful useless food and still keep under 1500 cals per day if you tried. If you're eating better food you'll find it easier to exercise for longer/harder (more energy from pasta etc)

Good guide here, scroll down for the diet part.
Sorani
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

For me personally, I have protein shakes only on the days I'm lifting. I think they recommend before and after your workout, and it may be a wise investment if you're having a lot of trouble getting protein into your diet. Someone may know better than me, though.

I agree with what another poster said, don't bother with cornflakes. Oats/porridge is a decent option.

Since you're vegetarian, some alternative non-meat protein sources are: eggs, nuts and seeds (these are also a nice source of good fat, HOWEVER they are high-calorie so only eat small amounts), baked beans, cottage cheese, couscous, natural peanut butter, oats, brown rice, soya beans, semi-skimmed milk, tofu and natural non-fat yoghurt. Some veg, such as broccoli, have some protein so do try and fit them in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (24)
17.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (54)
39.13%
Nope, not that interesting (60)
43.48%

Watched Threads