Trudi Canavan books (Black Magician/Age of Five trilogies) Watch

Rose W
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
My first thread :P Has anybody read any books by Trudi Canavan? She writes some fantastic high fantasy books, most notably - The Black Magician trilogy.

She also wrote the Age of Five trilogy and released a stand-alone prequel to BMT, The Magician's Apprentice. She has started work on a new trilogy which will be a sequel trilogy to the Black Magician series. The first book, The Ambassador's Mission, came out a few months ago. I need to read it!
Chivalry
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just read the Age of Five trilogy, quite a different style from my usual (RIP) Robert Jordan and Eddings stuff :P I quite liked it!

Picking up the Black Mage Trilogy aswell!
Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good author. Read all but her newest books. Really enjoyed them.
SillyRodent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I read the first two Age of five books a while ago and really enjoyed the second one. No idea why I never read the third.
CyntiaMassano
Report 8 years ago
She's a nice author, I liked her books, and they were pretty easy to read. Her writing isn't as complex as Juliet Marillier's - my favourite author, but her books do entertain me quite well.
Olivia_Lightbulb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I must confess, I (secretly) really love the Black Magician trilogy. But it's so sad .. :cry:
Bslforever
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rose W)
x
I read the BM trilogy a few years ago and remember really enjoying it. It was a very well written series.

And are you the same rose that just repped me by any chance? lol
rainbowbex
Report 8 years ago
I have read all except the prequel book. I shall see if it is in the library

EDIT: just put a hold on it
yesioo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I enjoy her books immensely! I have them all . I prefer Age of 5 to BMT though. Great way to get into fantasy.
innerhollow
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I LOVED the BM Trilogy. It has to be one of the few trilogies that actually improved as the series went on rather than deteriorating though. The 1st and 2nd books are both good reads, but the 3rd is something else.

I read the first book of Age of the 5 and found it really boring though. I have the 2nd book on my table, and am entertaining whether or not I should bother to read it.
Bslforever
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by innerhollow)
I LOVED the BM Trilogy. It has to be one of the few trilogies that actually improved as the series went on rather than deteriorating though. The 1st and 2nd books are both good reads, but the 3rd is something else.

I read the first book of Age of the 5 and found it really boring though. I have the 2nd book on my table, and am entertaining whether or not I should bother to read it.
Looks like our taste in literature overlaps somewhere at least :p:
I'm_Unsafe.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Aye, I read the BMT, I want to read the Ambassador's Mission, nearly bought it in Canada but it was about $34! So, it's off to the library I think...just got to return a somewhat overdue book without getting fined first :ninja:
innerhollow
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bslforever)
Looks like our taste in literature overlaps somewhere at least :p:
Haha I'm purely into Sci Fi/fantasy though so if you don't like many other books in this genre I'm afraid our taste overlap ends there
Bslforever
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha I'm purely into Sci Fi/fantasy though so if you don't like many other books in this genre I'm afraid our taste overlap ends there
I did go through a phase where i was into the whole fantasy scene, reading through LOTR, BM, Eragon etc. but i rarely get the time these days. When i do, it tends to be Stephen King that i turn to :yep:

I did enjoy a lot of classic sci-fi like H.G Wells, especially the island of dr moreau and some modern sci-fi (if you can call it that) such as Michael Chrichton.
Chivalry
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

The story really picks up after the first novel :P Gets really quite good although i found the ending of the 3rd a bit wanting. I wanted something a bit more climactic but then i guess it was in its own sense.
Kawa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've read all her books and really enjoyed them, although I didn't find The Ambassador's Mission as entertaining as the others. That's just my opinion though...I've always disliked huge gaps where the age of the characters jump significantly.
Rose W
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bslforever)
I read the BM trilogy a few years ago and remember really enjoying it. It was a very well written series.

And are you the same rose that just repped me by any chance? lol
Haha, no. I don't think so. My rep isn't worth much. :p:
Rose W
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kawa)
I've read all her books and really enjoyed them, although I didn't find The Ambassador's Mission as entertaining as the others. That's just my opinion though...I've always disliked huge gaps where the age of the characters jump significantly.
Ah, I haven't read that yet. I agree though! When they do such a thing, they should make those aged characters - minor characters and have an entirely new cast of characters as main characters.

I said the word "characters" too many times there. :p:
NaturalDisaster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I loved the Black Magicians trilogy, although I'm still a little annoyed that

Spoiler:
Show
Sonea chose Akkarin over Dorrien

But I loved the books anyway. Dying to read the Ambassadors Mission, although I'm not sure I want to see poor Dannyl and Dorrien as middle aged magicians. They were my favourites. Haven't read Age of Five yet, but it's on my long list of things to read. Awesome series.
Kawa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rose W)
Ah, I haven't read that yet. I agree though! When they do such a thing, they should make those aged characters - minor characters and have an entirely new cast of characters as main characters.

I said the word "characters" too many times there. :p:
Yes, I really wish she had! It seems quite a few people have yet to read her latest book, so I won't go into any further detail.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (102)
19.81%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (210)
40.78%
Nope, not that interesting (203)
39.42%

Watched Threads